The Whinge Thread, Resurrected

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
I was shaving yesterday morning--proper wet-shaving with foam and a (safety-ha!) razor. I was hot and sweaty from having blitz-cleaned the house before work (I start P.M.) and I managed to drop my razor mid-stroke.

I instinctively scooped it out of the air with my left hand: ten out of ten for reflexes, zero out of ten for common sense. The heavier head had already rotated the whole thing and my middle and ring-fingers gripped the blades.

The resulting cuts aren't too deep, but they sting like hell.

It's only fortunate that it's my left hand and I can minimise usage for a few days.

And I feel like a bit of a fool.
I've recently switched to a safety razor as I was fed up with the crap that Gillette offered. You have to be very careful, rush it - cut yourself. Wrong angle - cut yourself.

If I drop mine I run a mile.

They are lethal but give a much better shave, as you know. There is nothing like a shave with a nice heavy, classy, safety razor.

Also, the blades are a million times cheaper than Gillette.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
they do, genuinely, seem to be doing what they can.
A rather hopeful and premature statement. It is past 11 am. Again, the promised call has not materialized. BT must be having a laugh! :headbang:

Edit: Fortunately, I did not go out at this point . . .

I was expecting a call on my landline but it was the mobile which rang at 01.51 pm. It is just as well, really, as the job involved remote mirroring of my desktop and fighting over the mouse. The landline would not reach for such a contest to be conducted live.

Even so, Chrome, true to form, refused to go to the enabling site, claiming security issues. An application had to be downloaded . . .

After about forty minutes, I had got used to answering "Yes, go ahead, fine . . . "

"OK to delete these now?"

"Fine!"

My BT mailboxes disappeared with their contents. Once they were up and running, the contents would surely reappear . . .

No. The only mail I now had to my name was the stuff from the server. Even my Sent Mail had gone.

Still, by 2.30 pm*, I had functioning email and would have to rebuild my contacts list from other sources.

The panic turned out to be premature, since Apple Mail had, thoughtfully, cached my historic junk on 16th June. I could reimport the mboxes and browse to my heart's content. Not much had fallen down the memory hole.

No idea what had caused the fault, though the mailboxes had renamed themselves Yahoo Pop at some point. They are now Yahoo IMAP. My passwords have been changed. And a woman somewhere in India has seen my desktop! :buck:

slagpuss.jpg

*Edit. Originally posted as 3.30 pm. It was intense but not quite that bad!

Last edited:

INT21

Antediluvian
Two days ago I went to Pudsey and ordered some Brushes for my power steering. Gave the company my phone number and email. Asked them to contact me when the bits were ready.
Today they arrived via currier.

So instead of a couple of litre of fuel, I have to pay an extra £10 on top.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
It's a very minor whinge because all's well that end's well, but my long-overdue parcel from the U.S. arrived today.

The reason it has been so long coming is that whoever/whatever printed the address label placed the text so far down the label that the crucial country name on the last line was 'cut off'.

I don't know where it has been, but whoever took a guess at which nation it should be sent to based on the rest of the address got it wildly wrong: the word Sud Korea was scrawled on the front, suggesting it has been either somewhere in Europe or to a French/Spanish-speaking country.

Mk.1 eyeball: the ultimate technology.

Replace it at your peril.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Radio three have started their Christmas Carol contest.
I have given up on Radio Three entirely. The dedications, polls and other participation-games were even more irksome than the lame banter and sampler-length music content, not to mention the whole concept of "promoted" artists. The Christmas Carol competition has to be the annual low-point of twee insipidity. I travel, these days, in silence. :p

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
I have given up on Radio Three entirely. The dedications, polls and other participation-games were even more irksome than the lame banter and sampler-length music content, not to mention the whole concept of "promoted" artists. The Christmas Carol competition has to be the annual low-point of twee insipidity. I travel, these days, in silence. :p
It's North Norfolk Radio for me .. mostly for the advertising jingos for local carpet companies etc that we all sing along to, partly for roughly the same ten songs played every day like Africa by TOTO for example.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
To get my car through the MOT cost me £650 today.
One of the things was that a headlight unit needed replacing (not the bulb). Yeah, what could go wrong with a headlight? It had lost its shine.
I put it down to a car smash 9 years ago, which meant a complete replacement of the front bumper and headlight unit. The crash repair people probably put in a cheap unit and I've been none the wiser for all this time.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Yeah, what could go wrong with a headlight?
A couple of weeks ago, after a spell of torrential downpours, I followed a car - an Aygo, I think - with a vertical array of rear lights.

The lowest of the lights caught my attention, as it was more than half full of water. Enough to keep a fish happy! The unit was clearly very well-sealed at the bottom!

I did not expect to see much in the way of advance warning, if he reversed! :omg:

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
Whilst not one to complain, just that my mobile phone decided today it would no longer charge - copious amounts of cables and spare batteries were to no avail - looks like the charging port is deceased. Not remotely a problem, except for the consequtial realisation my entire life is now embalmed therein. So... there's always the laptop. Plugged a cable in and the charging port come away and fell inside the laptop. Never mind, there's a WI-Fi connection on the, 'smart TV' now and I'm using that. Was contemplating changing my avatar and experimentally deleted the existing one. Usng the Opera browser on the TV connection, it gleefully disregards the option to upload another one - hence my avatar nakedness. Desperate for a coffee now, just slightly concerned the kettle might explode.

Last edited:

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
looks like the charging port is deceased
My ancient phone refused to charge on a number of occasions. I assumed it was the delicate-looking phone-end which was to blame but a loose wire at the mains plug end was responsible. Mysteriously, it righted itself. It is worth testing these things after a period has elapsed - especially if it is hoarding data you need.

I would only have lost a few numbers.

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
My ancient phone refused to charge on a number of occasions. I assumed it was the delicate-looking phone-end which was to blame but a loose wire at the mains plug end was responsible. Mysteriously, it righted itself. It is worth testing these things after a period has elapsed - especially if it is hoarding data you need.
It's doing my head in!! Sometimes it will start charging and then stick at 1% for hours. Other times, it will evidently charge 100% and then when you switch it on, there's no feckimg battery charge at all! It's an old phone now and suspect just, 'wear and tear'. Been looking at the Honor 20 Lite as a replacement - particularly re the camera spec.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
It's doing my head in!! Sometimes it will start charging and then stick at 1% for hours. Other times, it will evidently charge 100% and then when you switch it on, there's no feckimg battery charge at all! It's an old phone now and suspect just, 'wear and tear'. Been looking at the Honor 20 Lite as a replacement - particularly re the camera spec.
Might be worth checking for a software upgrade. I was having problems with a very short battery life in my phone (about 3 years old) - usually 4 hours if I was lucky. I bought a new battery and that was the same. I was on the point of dumping the phone when I got a software upgrade and suddenly I'm getting 18 hours from the battery.