The Whinge Thread, Resurrected

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
I guess you have already tried removing the battery and cleaning the contacts? :)
Tried 3 batteries, doesn't help that one of the four contact pins has ever so slightly broken off at the end| However, it's been that way for a while and would still charge. Surely has to be the charging connection. Increasingly, it would only only charge if the cable was connected at a certain angle. This involved putiing some weight on the cable, laterly a tin of Heinz spaghetti.... I could go a drink right now...

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

Tried 3 batteries, doesn't help that one of the four contact pins has ever so slightly broken off at the end| However, it's been that way for a while and would still charge. Surely has to be the charging connection. Increasingly, it would only only charge if the cable was connected at a certain angle. This involved putiing some weight on the cable, laterly a tin of Heinz spaghetti.... I could go a drink right now...
OK, yep, the cable has a fractured wire. Replace it.

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
Might be worth checking for a software upgrade. I was having problems with a very short battery life in my phone (about 3 years old) - usually 4 hours if I was lucky. I bought a new battery and that was the same. I was on the point of dumping the phone when I got a software upgrade and suddenly I'm getting 18 hours from the battery.
Interesting and much appreciated, just shows how many factors could be involved. Alas, I did try the software upgrade a while back and the phone's so old now there wasn't any!

Cochise

Antediluvian
My Samsung A8 has just bricked. Bad news

My 15 year old Nokia 6310i has come out of a long retirement, charged up, and is working perfectly. Good news.

My friends and acquaintances will think I'm nuts but I now have a phone that can go a week on one charge. Why on earth would we accept less?

And it came with a proper instruction manual!

My Samsung A8 has just bricked. Bad news

My 15 year old Nokia 6310i has come out of a long retirement, charged up, and is working perfectly. Good news.

My friends and acquaintances will think I'm nuts but I now have a phone that can go a week on one charge. Why on earth would we accept less?

And it came with a proper instruction manual!
I'm still using an old Nokia I got 7 1/2 years ago.

Cochise

Antediluvian
The 6310i is like a breath of fresh air. It does what it does (phone, text, contacts list, calendar) and nothing else. It has Bluetooth for hands free.

The simplicity and focus is revolutionary compared to Samsung or Apple's output.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
The simplicity and focus is revolutionary
I see mine is a 1208. Going strong, despite many dashings to the floor! All the keys still work*. So it is still topped-up and in daily use. :)

*My LG, bought a year or so later, purely to take photos, which it did, nominally only, now has a mainly-duff '4' key, making topping up by voucher or debit-card pretty near impossible! :p

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
The good news is that a new department I set up is now being run exclusively by a woman I hired to help me so I don't have to do it any more .. I didn't enjoy it very much in the end and she still does so win win ..

The bad news is I've been relocated in our company because someone's had the sack for being consistently crap so I'm having to do mine and his job everyday until they hire someone else. I didn't get finished until 1115 last night so I'm knackered and I've got to keep going. rats cocks.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Is it the handy man you were on about, did he get the push?
Swifty, you work too much, and it is all gonna bite you in the ass, i hope all this work does not go unappreciated, but still, you need sleep XXXX

Cochise

Antediluvian
The 6310i is like a breath of fresh air. It does what it does (phone, text, contacts list, calendar) and nothing else. It has Bluetooth for hands free.

The simplicity and focus is revolutionary compared to Samsung or Apple's output.
I thought of another bonus - no spaced out teenager with a knife is going to attack me for it.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
The good news is that a new department I set up is now being run exclusively by a woman I hired to help me so I don't have to do it any more .. I didn't enjoy it very much in the end and she still does so win win ..

The bad news is I've been relocated in our company because someone's had the sack for being consistently crap so I'm having to do mine and his job everyday until they hire someone else. I didn't get finished until 1115 last night so I'm knackered and I've got to keep going. rats cocks.
I do hope you are being paid for all that.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
@Swifty, you need more money, maybe they will give you a nice Christmas bonus, but better to have more money constantly if you are doing two jobs, is the boss approachable in regards money?

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Am I just imagining it or are young children becoming ever louder?

For four hours, a tribe of very young ones has been unleashed on the street with noisy toys that scrape the pavement. They accompany this with raucous yells at the top of their lungs. It does not sound like they are having fun at all. In fact it communicates only stress.

There is nothing in this street to absorb the sound but there is a park within 100 yards! :headbang:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Am I just imagining it or are young children becoming ever louder?

For four hours, a tribe of very young ones has been unleashed on the street with noisy toys that scrape the pavement. They accompany this with raucous yells at the top of their lungs. It does not sound like they are having fun at all. In fact it communicates only stress.

There is nothing in this street to absorb the sound but there is a park within 100 yards! :headbang:
Younger children have not usually learnt the dynamics of conversation and they lack the patience and impulse control to wait for 'dead air' in which to speak. Because of this, in groups where there is no obvious leader (an older sibling or a more confident friend), there's a lot of interruption and frequent 'volume contests' in which more that one child tries to focus the attention of the whole group on him.

The greater the number of kids, the fewer opportunities for each to speak unchallenged and the more simultaneous and disputatious voices.

Adding a fourth child to a group of three can bring the volume and quantity of speech up to what you would expect to hear from five or six.

And adding a seventh to a group of six will hurt your head more than you could imagine.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Younger children have not usually learnt the dynamics of conversation and they lack the patience and impulse control to wait for 'dead air' in which to speak. Because of this, in groups where there is no obvious leader (an older sibling or a more confident friend), there's a lot of interruption and frequent 'volume contests' in which more that one child tries to focus the attention of the whole group on him.

The greater the number of kids, the fewer opportunities for each to speak unchallenged and the more simultaneous and disputatious voices.

Adding a fourth child to a group of three can bring the volume and quantity of speech up to what you would expect to hear from five or six.

And adding a seventh to a group of six will hurt your head more than you could imagine.
Kids? I know quite a few adults who behave like that.

Cochise

Antediluvian
Approximatly three years ago i lost a screw out of my specs, while staying with a friend in South Wales. After going to a couple of curmudgeonly opticians who thought they might be able to do something next week etc., or the man with the screwdriver was off sick, or the dog had eaten their homework, (ok maybe not that last one) I was beginning to think I'd have to resort to gaffer tape.

So I thought what the hey, I'll try Specsavers. They fixed my specs in 10 minutes, and wouldn't take any payment. Splendid, I thought, a national chain that retains some old world courtesy and integrity.

While working away from home I just had the same thing happen again. Splendid, I thought, I know where there is a Specsavers.

But no! They have changed their policy and will now not mend any frames other than their own even for money. So another slight remnant of civilised behaviour has gone by the wayside, presumably to stop the drain of thousands of penny screws from the company's profits.

But no! They have changed their policy and will now not mend any frames other than their own even for money. So another slight remnant of civilised behaviour has gone by the wayside, presumably to stop the drain of thousands of penny screws from the company's profits.
I had a similar experience with them.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Sometimes, in the cheap shops you can get a glasses repair kit, with a few microscopic screws and a teeny screwdriver, amazon do a few here X
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=glasses+repair+kit&ref=nb_sb_noss
I have one of those. Dunno where I put it.
It's probably easier to pinch a screw from an old pair of specs and use some CA glue or screw lock liquid to lock it in.
Also... don't wash your specs in warm water. It causes the screws to work loose.