The Whinge Thread, Resurrected

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I used to own a stash of knackered specs and sunglasses to cannibalise. They're probably still around somewhere. Maybe in one of my sheds.

Techy once tried putting a lens from one pair of his mother's specs into another pair. It fitted well and he felt snug until they went out and one lens went dark. I still laugh about that.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I used to own a stash of knackered specs and sunglasses to cannibalise. They're probably still around somewhere. Maybe in one of my sheds.

Techy once tried putting a lens from one pair of his mother's specs into another pair. It fitted well and he felt snug until they went out and one lens went dark. I still laugh about that.
Techy the pirate!

Which reminds me - Talk Like a Pirate Day is on 19th September.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
For most of this year and the previous year, I have been ignoring software and O.S. upgrades for my work computer, downloading only the latest security definitions.

This was out of caution because the last time I updated Office they phased out some old fonts and auto-replaced them with new ones. The change in size buggered the formatting of literally thousands of my Word and Powerpoint documents and it took ages before I could identify and replace those fonts that I had lost.

Anyway, two days ago my machine informed me that if I didn't upgrade both software and O.S., I would be unable to download future security definitions, leaving the system at risk. So I upgraded.

And it's buggered up the documents again.

As far as I can see, the bold function now makes the letters very slightly bolder than before, which in turn makes them longer. I have several hundred glossary sheets in which the headword appears in bold and the definition has been tailored and abbreviated to keep it on a single line--very often using every last pixel to achieve this. With the headword now larger, the definition has overrun the line and been nudged down onto the next line, which has buggered the formatting for the whole sheet.

This will mean more editing and checking several dozen of files of hundreds of pages each to find which ones have been affected.

If I had a time-machine, I'd go back and make all of my teaching material using Pages for macOs.

Is this just their not caring--or not testing the effects of the upgrade on systems/documents 'in the wild'.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Techy the pirate!

Which reminds me - Talk Like a Pirate Day is on 19th September.
Well thanks very much for that. I told a colleague and we practiced some Arrrs! and Me Hearties! just in time for a customer with an eye patch to appear. Not sure if she was amused, bur we were.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Well thanks very much for that. I told a colleague and we practiced some Arrrs! and Me Hearties! just in time for a customer with an eye patch to appear. Not sure if she was amused, bur we were.
Harsh to be fair .. I remember attending Tamworth job centre about 25 years ago, the two young women were doing a bad job of not giggling loudly when they called out for "Mr Pratt" standing in front of me.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Harsh to be fair .. I remember attending Tamworth job centre about 25 years ago, the two young women were doing a bad job of not giggling loudly when they called out for "Mr Pratt" standing in front of me.
When working in hospitals I came across a lot of silly names, as I'm sure you did.

On one ward there were two siderooms with a Mrs Goolie* in one and, as luck would have it, a man with an inflamed testicle in the other. Staff tend to call people after their condition if it's an interesting one so he was 'The Goolie'.

That's Mrs Goolie and The Goolie. In adjacent rooms. Didn't take long before a staff nurse popped in and briskly asked 'How are we feeling this morning, Mr Goolie?'

*Stop sniggering at the back, it's a respectable Scottish name.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
When working in hospitals I came across a lot of silly names, as I'm sure you did.

On one ward there were two siderooms with a Mrs Goolie* in one and, as luck would have it, a man with an inflamed testicle in the other. Staff tend to call people after their condition if it's an interesting one so he was 'The Goolie'.

That's Mrs Goolie and The Goolie. In adjacent rooms. Didn't take long before a staff nurse popped in and briskly asked 'How are we feeling this morning, Mr Goolie?'

Was Mrs Goolie in the Ging Gang?

Swifty

I remember when a woman with a daft name who was off her face on meds had picked up a glass bottle and was approaching another elderly woman patient in bed .. so I flat out ORDERED her to not even dare to go and ring the bell at the nurses station .. that distraction strategy worked. I can't remember why her name was daft though.

michael59

Look up. Change your world perspective.
One time when I was in the hospital, I had a nurse named, Taffy.

Definition of taffy

1 : a boiled candy usually of sugar, molasses or corn syrup, butter, and often vinegar and vanilla that is pulled until porous and glossy

2 : insincere flattery

michael59

Look up. Change your world perspective.
I went to Safeway (grocery) last night and used the self check out service. My bill was $37 and change. I put in a $50 and it only registered as $20. The employee I spoke with said I would have to pay the remaining balance and then wait up to 2 weeks until they do an audit.

That's the last time I use that service.

GNC

King-Sized Canary

Definition of taffy

1 : a boiled candy usually of sugar, molasses or corn syrup, butter, and often vinegar and vanilla that is pulled until porous and glossy

And she's here tonight!

Or maybe she was Welsh. Or the leader of the Teen Angels.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
For most of this year and the previous year, I have been ignoring software and O.S. upgrades for my work computer, downloading only the latest security definitions.

This was out of caution because the last time I updated Office they phased out some old fonts and auto-replaced them with new ones. The change in size buggered the formatting of literally thousands of my Word and Powerpoint documents and it took ages before I could identify and replace those fonts that I had lost.

Anyway, two days ago my machine informed me that if I didn't upgrade both software and O.S., I would be unable to download future security definitions, leaving the system at risk. So I upgraded.

And it's buggered up the documents again. ...
Just for the record ... Have you attempted to seek out copies of the older font sets upon which you'd previously relied? If you can locate and download them, you should be able to "install" them so they're still available to your apps. Just make a point to store them as a backup against further such disruptions, because automated update routines will quite possibly continue to trash them.

Failing that ... One workaround for saving time on the revisions would be to take a representative document (or copy thereof) and globally change all text to each of the currently available fonts to see if you can find one that preserves the spacing / line lengths as the earlier ones.

Swifty

Definition of taffy

I thought taffy was Welsh people?

NSFW

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Ok, I work all day talking about people and dealing with people who do certain things.

I come home from work and my wife starts talking about her friend, (I've never met her), who's dad, (not met him either), is doing exactly the thing that I'm dealing with ALL DAY LONG.

I've given guidance several times and nothing happens.

She catches me rolling my eyes and all hell breaks loose...

Swifty

.. my wife starts talking about her friend, (I've never met her), who's dad, (not met him either) ..
The Mrs does this to me all the time .. I don't want to be a dick to her about it but I sympathise with where you're coming from. I don't even know these people so I can't formulate an opinion either way, she might as well be describing the plot of a soap opera I'll never watch. I usually get told off for looking at my watch which I suppose is a bit rude of me. I'm not proud of it because she's just trying to share her day .. I usually say .. and what happened at the end? to try and speed things up a bit.

I don't mind admitting I'd be lost without her though.

Last edited:

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
My longest run of unsuccessful deerstalking outings continues...

Up before dawn and out onto one of my permissions:

That shiny orange thing there in the sky? That happens every morning.

Two miles of walking carrying about 20lbs. of kit. Seven deer seen; not one legally shootable.

On my way back to the car, grumbling, what do I stumble on just 50 yards away? Two out-of-season roe does, just staring dimly at me:

They're deer, honest. (Crappy low-light, hand-held iPhone grab shot under challenging lighting conditions).

Even when they retreat a few yards into the next field - eventually - they just turn and look again:

Finally, a shout of "Fuck off until the 1st of November!" is required:

My Sako 85 Finnlight in 6.5 x 55mm, still bored:

:(

maximus otter

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
The Mrs does this to me all the time .. I don't want to be a dick to her about it but I sympathise with where you're coming from. I don't even know these people so I can't formulate an opinion either way, she might as well be describing the plot of a soap opera I'll never watch. I usually get told off for looking at my watch which I suppose is a bit rude of me. I'm not proud of it because she's just trying to share her day .. I usually say .. and what happened at the end? to try and speed things up a bit.

I don't mind admitting I'd be lost without her though.
The former Mr Snail would rattle on about people I didn't know who were having the most bizarre lives, and I'd eventually say 'Whoah, hold on, WHO did you say was pregnant by her father in law when her husband was lost at sea but then by some miracle came back, physically healthy but with amnesia?'

He'd say 'Oh you know, Cindy at Number 7! (or whoever) and I'd reply 'Hold on, it's Brookside innit? Not real people?'

I swear he sent the casts of all the soaps birthday and xmas cards and knitted bootees for their babies.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
I am in continuing dispute with BT, who have, once again, cut me off. I can access the internet at the moment from my local library on most days. Thank God for that!

The latest generic and inadequate response from BT has come via email! :headbang:

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
I am in continuing dispute with BT, who have, once again, cut me off. I can access the internet at the moment from my local library on most days. Thank God for that!

The latest generic and inadequate response from BT has come via email! :headbang:
I gave up on BT a long time ago. My broadband kept cutting off every time it rained. Called them to be told "check your cables and switch the modem off and switch it on again" - Hmmm will that stop it raining? Always the same response no matter how many times it was pointed out: Weather fine - broadband works, weather raining - broadband doesn't work, do we see a pattern?
Another time I couldn't get internet access, I called them up to be told: "If you go to our website you'll get advice on this problem."

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
I gave up on BT a long time ago. My broadband kept cutting off every time it rained. Called them to be told "check your cables and switch the modem off and switch it on again" - Hmmm will that stop it raining? Always the same response no matter how many times it was pointed out: Weather fine - broadband works, weather raining - broadband doesn't work, do we see a pattern?
Another time I couldn't get internet access, I called them up to be told: "If you go to our website you'll get advice on this problem."
They're not employing the finest minds on that, it seems.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Do you have call centres where you live?
Here they are all based overseas and they have no idea what it's like here and it's so difficult to understand some of them.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Do you have call centres where you live?
Here they are all based overseas and they have no idea what it's like here and it's so difficult to understand some of them.
'Our' call centres are also based overseas and I've read that their workers are carefully schooled in how to chat to Brits about the weather, the Royals, soaps etc. When I call one I'm always politeness itself and I ask how THEIR weather is!

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
'Our' call centres are also based overseas and I've read that their workers are carefully schooled in how to chat to Brits about the weather, the Royals, soaps etc. When I call one I'm always politeness itself and I ask how THEIR weather is!
I've had a few lengthy calls with HSBC call centre staff in India recently and I have to say that they've been great--and incredibly polite.

I don't know whether it helps them in any discernible way, but I always fill out the optional surveys to say so afterwards and make a point of naming them specifically in the additional notes at the end.