The Whinge Thread, Resurrected

michael59

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Just to add: compared with my drawn-out discussions with the Inland Revenue staff in England last year, speaking to the call centre staff in India has been a veritable pleasure!
That's another scam that's been going on through telemarketers here in Canada. They call and say that this is the last attempt before freezing all your accounts and whatever assets you have unless you send them x amount of dollars that you owe on taxes.

I know I don't owe any taxes and I called my Revenue Tax Office to make sure they were not in err. They confirmed that I had a 0 balance owing. Yet these people keep calling. They even leave a number and name to call back but, the number is not in service.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
According to two articles I've read today, there is now an 'r-word' that some people are evil for using.

It took me ages to find out what it actually was.

This new coinage now accompanies 'the n-word', 'the c-word', 'the f-word' (no, not that one--you can say 'fuck' apparently), 'the k-word', 'the b-word' 'the t-word', and 'the y-word'.

Shall we just go with single-letters and guesswork from now on?

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
According to two articles I've read today, there is now an 'r-word' that some people are evil for using.

This new coinage now accompanies 'the n-word', 'the c-word', 'the f-word' (no, not that one--you can say 'fuck' apparently), 'the k-word', 'the b-word' 'the t-word', and 'the y-word'.

wtf? I just don't have time for all this crap! :rollingw:

is the r-word the thing one does with engine timing?

I hate it with a passion if it is. I was in that class when I started school.

Cochise

Never give up, never surrender
Reaction score
wtf? I just don't have time for all this crap! :rollingw:

is the r-word the thing one does with engine timing?

I hate it with a passion if it is. I was in that class when I started school.
Of course - as one who has an old bike and a very old car - I might just be talking about my ignition.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

What about the P-word? I learned that term from an Asian Law MA student at Keele when I was doing my MA in Criminology. I was happy to be educated on the matter.

INT21

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I often wondered if 'plonker' was derived from the French word 'plongeur'.

Plongeur (dishwasher or kitchen porter) cleans dishes and utensils, and may be entrusted with basic preparatory jobs.

Someone low on the social scale.

INT21

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Escargot,

Surely not the abbreviated name of a person born in a certain country ?

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
What about the P-word? I learned that term from an Asian Law MA student at Keele when I was doing my MA in Criminology. I was happy to be educated on the matter.
I don't think it's widely used in the U.S., and our new Puritan Overlords are mostly an ocean away.

I could be wrong, but that slur (yes, INT21: 'Paki') is, I think, mainly British and Commonwealth.

Strangely enough, I think I know exactly when I first heard the word: at school there was a collection of pirate games being passed around and copied (naive as I was, I was nervous about taking a copy--it was illegal!). I only ever owned two Spectrums and an Amiga, so I suppose it must have been for one of those. Anyway, one game on there was a homebrew title called 'Paki Bash'.

Yeah, nice...

Anyway, judging by who it was you were supposed to be 'bashing' (killing, in fact), I quickly got the measure of the word aged, I think, nine.

It was a crap game, incidentally.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score
So, I’m off work, hooray, but it’s not good because I’m off because I have a swollen knee. :(

Whinge over
1C896D00-EFA1-41FD-BF9A-BC8FB0FDE101.jpeg

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I don't think it's widely used in the U.S., and our new Puritan Overlords are mostly an ocean away.

I could be wrong, but that slur (yes, INT21: 'Paki') is, I think, mainly British and Commonwealth.

Strangely enough, I think I know exactly when I first heard the word: at school there was a collection of pirate games being passed around and copied (naive as I was, I was nervous about taking a copy--it was illegal!). I only ever owned a spectrum and an Amiga, so I suppose it must have been for one of those. Anyway, one game on there was a homebrew title called 'Paki Bash'.

Yeah, nice...

Anyway, judging by who it was you were supposed to be 'bashing' (killing, in fact), I quickly got the measure of the word aged, I think, nine.

It was a crap game, incidentally.
I found it quite odd in Australia when there was a three-way cricket tournament between Australia, West Indies and Pakistan, the broadcaster flagged it as the Aussies, Windies and Packies – which as a Pom I found very strange indeed. Then again, in the year I lived in Australia (1988) one of the big stage shows was Wogs out of Work – play by Nick Giannopoulos, Simon Palomares, and Maria Portesi, whose Greek background gives them some latitude in this, I guess...

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
So, I’m off work, hooray, but it’s not good because I’m off because I have a swollen knee. :(

Whinge overView attachment 20236
Yowza! What's the cause of that? – I've had one or two like that in my time!! My considered advice – not radical – is to see a medical professional, which I guess you've done. I once sent a picture of my broken toe to my football team to show them why I was unable to play. They didn't argue with the evidence!

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score
Yowza! What's the cause of that? – I've had one or two like that in my time!! My considered advice – not radical – is to see a medical professional, which I guess you've done. I once sent a picture of my broken toe to my football team to show them why I was unable to play. They didn't argue with the evidence!
It just flared up, it might be from kneeling on the floor doing some tidying. Last time I had it the doctor repeatedly asked me if I had been laying carpets, as if in the third time of asking I would suddenly go “oh, that carpet”.

Everything seems to be the same as last time so I’m just doing the same exercises, resting and occasional ice. will visit the doctor if there is no improvement.

michael59

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Broke up with my fiance about a month a go, been struggling with my mental health for the past 20 years and that's gone down the shitter to the point I need diazepam to even think about leaving the house
{{{{{Skrymr}}}}}

I can relate. Not about the fiance but about struggling to leave the house. :(

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Queen and somebody I have never heard off are playing London, cheapest ticket is 90 quid, they can piss right off, I am not paying that for a fake Freddie and half of queen.
It's Adam Lambert. They used to have the luscious Paul Rodgers, whose macho style and voice I thought fitted well in an ironic way but sadly nobody much else did.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Broke up with my fiance about a month a go, been struggling with my mental health for the past 20 years and that's gone down the shitter to the point I need diazepam to even think about leaving the house
Sorry to hear things are so tough for you. Give yourself time and care.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Like-Unlike from me.

Don't stay on the pills longer than you really have to.

Best wishes.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Take care lad, I've been through it. Things will get better but it's important to get out if at at all possible. I hope you're accessing all available help.