The Whinge Thread, Resurrected

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Broke up with my fiance about a month a go, been struggling with my mental health for the past 20 years and that's gone down the shitter to the point I need diazepam to even think about leaving the house
Sorry to hear that. You will get better. Take it one step at a time, set yourself small, achievable targets and work on from there.

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
Broke up with my fiance about a month a go, been struggling with my mental health for the past 20 years and that's gone down the shitter to the point I need diazepam to even think about leaving the house
Sorry to hear. I can't say much but that I've had similar (but not same) times in my life. Hope you are doing as good as you can and that you have support. Take care of yourself.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Only time heals after a grim breakup. Don’t shut yourself away and marinade in your own misery. Get out, even if it’s just to walk to the park and sit looking at a view with a sandwich and a flask of tea.

Keep up the weightlifting and gym visits. The endorphins/dopamine shots will help; and attaining goals is good for morale and self-esteem.

We’ve all been where you are now. It passes.

maximus otter

Cochise

Never give up, never surrender
Reaction score
Going through similar. Struggled to even take the dog for a walk at times. But getting out does help. Not sure i can give advice because still up and down like a yo-yo

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
Like everyone else has said - you are you, you are one of us and we really do wish you the best!

:group:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Get buckets and then get a bloke in to fix it. Take a day or two off work to supervise them.
You can watch them continually falling off ladders.

And continually bring cups of tea upstairs on trays, but then theatrically tumble back down and stand up shakily while badly arranging your specs on your face

Ideally, you would have married a fire-breathing virago a number of years ago and taken to wearing braces to hold your trousers up.

Have you ever worn a handkerchief on your head, tied at four corners?

More seriously, good luck!

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
It's all got a bit mysterious. I expected to find a roof-leak when I peered into the loft. Nothing obvious there!

Now I'm wondering whether I need a roofer or a plumber. If there is a pipe over the leak, it is well-hidden and maybe the rain is coincidental. :(

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
It's all got a bit mysterious. I expected to find a roof-leak when I peered into the loft. Nothing obvious there!

Now I'm wondering whether I need a roofer or a plumber. If there is a pipe over the leak, it is well-hidden and maybe the rain is coincidental. :(
My father had some roof issues recently and on inspection at the top of a tottering ladder found a hole in the eaves.

And then at dusk thirty-six bats emerged in succession.

They're staying for the meantime while he ponders his options.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
I've been up again and I'm pretty sure it is a leaking water-tank. I'm going to see what I can do myself . . . :nun:

Turned out to be a leaking joint where a pipe enters the tank via a ballcock. Plumbers' putty has reduced the dripping but I think it will need someone to fix it properly. At least, I now know it is not the major issue I feared! :buck:

Last edited:

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
hope you get it sorted
I've turned off the mains water for tonight. The thought of emergency plumbers' rates on a Sunday was turning me strange colours . . .

The local factotum says his mate can do the job for £120 - I sent a picture.

I suspect, now the pressure's off, I can get someone to do it for a lot less. Bottled water till I do! :fish:

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
The non Sunday rates are bad enough lol
Hope it is only a very tiny job

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
Hope it is only a very tiny job
It's a washer, essentially.

The old-fashioned, rubber ones perish over decades. These survive in old cold-water tanks, like mine.

In the bog, in a similar situation, they replaced the once-standard rubber fellow with a fibre imposter.

He lives just four years and dies. You can time him, almost to the week. Usually, he pees before he expires.

I was lucky to be sitting at home to catch the one that went off explosively!

I know just enough about plumbing to be terribly fearful of it. :willy:

Nemo

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
My father had some roof issues recently and on inspection at the top of a tottering ladder found a hole in the eaves.

And then at dusk thirty-six bats emerged in succession.

They're staying for the meantime while he ponders his options.
I think that the bats in question will be staying for a long, long while though. :vamp2: (that smilie will have to do)

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
So, how is this? Got the plumbing sorted. Now the gas oven is playing up! It's a very primitive beast with very little to go wrong.

Now its reluctance to light and stay lit suggests a thermocouple problem.

I am seriously thinking I am cursed this year! :willy:

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
Jeez, so you might have to fork out for the oven now?

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
Jeez, so you might have to fork out for the oven now?
It worked, after a second ignition, reaching a high-enough temperature to make an amazing pork dish tonight!

Yet there is an underlying problem with the oven, I think, now.

The hopeful aspect is that stoves of similar vintage are essentially given-away and hardly worth the price of repair.

I am looking out for one of those . . .

In the scale of things, it's minor. :)

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
Yep. I've found that if you have one problem appliance, once you've dealt with it, another appliance decides it's time to play up.

I'm glad that my water heater is in my basement.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
The old-fashioned, rubber ones perish over decades. These survive in old cold-water tanks, like mine.
Replying to my own post here but it is puzzling me now. When I dug out the old washer, it turned out to be a fibre one, exactly like the ones on the toilet cistern.

Now I have lived in this house since 1991 and the thickly-lagged tanks in the loft were untouched by me during that time. No plumber has been up there. That fibre washer has lasted at least twenty-eight years! Three days from now is the anniversary of the date I moved in. Maybe it had been weeping for years but there was no evidence downstairs until Sunday's events.

Some years back, I was told by an emergency plumber that the life-expectancy of the fibre washers is exactly four years. Rubber ones were unobtainable. I have found that to be true of the ones in the cistern. On the last two or three occasions, I did the job myself: the washers can be hard to track down, though dirt-cheap. It does seem to be part of a racket to keep the emergency plumbers in clover.

I have noted the date of the failure. Will I still be able to scramble around in the loft in another four years? :oops:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Replying to my own post here but it is puzzling me now. When I dug out the old washer, it turned out to be a fibre one, exactly like the ones on the toilet cistern.

Now I have lived in this house since 1991 and the thickly-lagged tanks in the loft were untouched by me during that time. No plumber has been up there. That fibre washer has lasted at least twenty-eight years! Three days from now is the anniversary of the date I moved in. Maybe it had been weeping for years but there was no evidence downstairs until Sunday's events.

Some years back, I was told by an emergency plumber that the life-expectancy of the fibre washers is exactly four years. Rubber ones were unobtainable. I have found that to be true of the ones in the cistern. On the last two or three occasions, I did the job myself: the washers can be hard to track down, though dirt-cheap. It does seem to be part of a racket to keep the emergency plumbers in clover.

I have noted the date of the failure. Will I still be able to scramble around in the loft in another four years? :oops:
Rubber ones or nylon ones must surely be available? I'm baffled if they are not.
I'd get some Fernox LS-X sealant and bed the washer in it with a good thick layer, if I were you.

Nemo

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I hate that some F2P game owners decide to change "ownership", but you still have to sign in to the original site, only tobe directed to a new site (having to then make a new bloody account). Only to be notified that "your e-mail address is not valid".

Oh and IF you do manage to make it all the way to the end. The game wont fucking load, as there is an "error" somewhere in the multiverse and, meaning you have to search for conflicting info on possible solutions.