The Whinge Thread, Resurrected

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
While you can't have avoided hearing that she's mixed-race (I don't even know whether that's the correct nomenclature any more, and even if it isn't, it's perfectly fine and unremarkable to be so), she's hardly a Zulu is she?

My brother has darker skin that she does (he works outdoors) and ethnically he's pretty damned 'white'.

View attachment 20708

Some people literally will never be satisfied by anything.
I didn't realise there was a Dulux colour chart of racism.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, but saying to someone mixed race, "Hey, you look just like a white person! What's the problem?!" isn't likely to win you the right kind of friends.
I agree.

I think you've misunderstood my point or I've expessed myself poorly.

I was trying to say that if it is indeed browness or blackness--skin pigmentation--that so horrifies the racist chumps who are against Prince Harry's marriage, they need their eyes testing. I also added that even if she were very dark skinned it wouldn't, of course, make their objections any more reasonable.

I'm don't want to congratulate anybody on looking white.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
I was trying to say that if it is indeed browness or blackness--skin pigmentation--that so horrifies the racist chumps who are against Prince Harry's marriage, they need their eyes testing. I also added that even if she were very dark skinned it wouldn't, of course, make their objections any more reasonable.
They are using "too brown" and "increasing brown-ness" as some sort of self -deceiving code for racism. Or they are using it under the impression that it makes their racism more acceptable to other people.

But that's guessing. I am thankful that I don't understand the mindset.

Skrymr

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I had 2 full atonal seizures in a row last night. I had viral encephalitis as a child and apparently it's common to develop epilepsy later in life and the seizures started this year. I feel like I've been hit by a truck and dinged my knee up good and proper when I hit the ground with the first one. Life is exhausting.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Very minor and rather protracted whinge coming up.

I listen to a lot of Radio.
I love my crackle-free DAB programmes (especially Planet Rock) and occasionally like to have a hunt around on shortwave just to hear what's out there.
When I'm on my travels and away from any WIFI, it's always comforting to pick up the BBC World Service, not to mention the cricket on BBC longwave.
To do all this though, I need at least two radios.
My wife recently broke the aerial on my Pure DAB radio and my very old Steepletone world-band receiver has been on the blink for years. So, I had in mind to combine the two by treating myself to a new DAB/DAB+ radio with a short, medium and long wave receiver built in (and, ideally, an Internet radio tuner too).
Sadly, no such item seems to exist.
DAB radios these days, seem to come with the sole option of toggling to FM (which I never use).
So, it looks like I will have to purchase two radios once more to cover my needs.
Am I missing something here?
Can't radio manufacturers see there would be a market in providing a DAB/DAB+ unit with multi-band receiving capabilities?

Cochise

Never give up, never surrender
Reaction score
Very minor and rather protracted whinge coming up.

I listen to a lot of Radio.
I love my crackle-free DAB programmes (especially Planet Rock) and occasionally like to have a hunt around on shortwave just to hear what's out there.
When I'm on my travels and away from any WIFI, it's always comforting to pick up the BBC World Service, not to mention the cricket on BBC longwave.
To do all this though, I need at least two radios.
My wife recently broke the aerial on my Pure DAB radio and my very old Steepletone world-band receiver has been on the blink for years. So, I had in mind to combine the two by treating myself to a new DAB/DAB+ radio with a short, medium and long wave receiver built in (and, ideally, an Internet radio tuner too).
Sadly, no such item seems to exist.
DAB radios these days, seem to come with the sole option of toggling to FM (which I never use).
So, it looks like I will have to purchase two radios once more to cover my needs.
Am I missing something here?
Can't radio manufacturers see there would be a market in providing a DAB/DAB+ unit with multi-band receiving capabilities?
It seems particularly daft as while DAB may eventually replace FM the s/m/l waves will carry on. My approach is simple - if I can't get TMS then I won't buy it. :)

Nemo

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Another board, I frequent isn't loading. But the back up is working quite nicely though.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
Covering all the wavebands should not mean a large outlay these days, especially if you are willing to consider second-hand models. Old tuners seem to on for ever - mine was bought in 1982. If you want something more compact, there are lots of ghetto-blaster type sets - ugly, I know - but very cheap in Cash-Converter etc. Some charities still do electricals. Whole mini-systems can be had for about £15.

As for the Short-Waves, you sometimes see the old sets that were used by folk to eavesdrop on aircraft, taxis, cops and ambulances. I think they have moved on to more secure systems. I have a very cheap, little plastic set from Tesco, which has 9 Short Bands plus FM, MW & LW. I think it even does stereo on the headphone jack.

There doesn't seem to be much doing on all those SW bands, though. :(

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
I'm cold. My house has no heating (or it does, but oil fired central heating, no heating oil, can't afford any). I've got a couple of plug in radiators, but daren't use them because the electricity company will instantly raise my monthly payments and I can only just afford the £47 a month I'm currently paying. Plus they do damn all to heat the cavernous big rooms. I've got an open fire, but there's no point in lighting it because it only stays in for a couple of hours and I'm going to work and refuse to light the fire just to keep the dog warm. The house would be stone cold again by the time I got home.

I hate winter.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I'm cold. My house has no heating (or it does, but oil fired central heating, no heating oil, can't afford any). I've got a couple of plug in radiators, but daren't use them because the electricity company will instantly raise my monthly payments and I can only just afford the £47 a month I'm currently paying. Plus they do damn all to heat the cavernous big rooms. I've got an open fire, but there's no point in lighting it because it only stays in for a couple of hours and I'm going to work and refuse to light the fire just to keep the dog warm. The house would be stone cold again by the time I got home.

I hate winter.
Aww, Catseye. Been there. Those plug in radiators are astronomically expensive to run. Open fires are wasteful too. It's surprising how quickly a house gets cold as soon as autumn starts.
Time to drag out the sheepskin slippers and bedsocks.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
Aww, Catseye. Been there. Those plug in radiators are astronomically expensive to run. Open fires are wasteful too. It's surprising how quickly a house gets cold as soon as autumn starts.
Time to drag out the sheepskin slippers and bedsocks.
I wear those all year round, Scargy! This is the only house I've ever lived in that was bone-cold in the middle of summer! (My daughter swears it must be permanently haunted, it's a giant cold spot).

It's time to double up on the fleeces...

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I wear those all year round, Scargy! This is the only house I've ever lived in that was bone-cold in the middle of summer! (My daughter swears it must be permanently haunted, it's a giant cold spot).

It's time to double up on the fleeces...
Is it damp? My current house can be cold* but it's dry.

*Especially when SOMEBODY wisely has the boiler ripped out before arranging for a new one. In November. And has to wait three months.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Is it damp? My current house can be cold* but it's dry.

*Especially when SOMEBODY wisely has the boiler ripped out before arranging for a new one. In November. And has to wait three months.
Fortunately for me, I got my old central heating ripped out and a new boiler installed. It's been working fine so far.
The plumber removed the old back boiler and tanks on one day, then he came back the next day to install the new boiler. I just had to wait several months for the plumber to get to a free spot in his diary.

INT21

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Yes, but saying to someone mixed race, "Hey, you look just like a white person! What's the problem?!" isn't likely to win you the right kind of friends.
I believe there is a whole grading system referring to mixed race people derived from African stock. Quadroons etc.

I suppose it is, to put it crudely, a 'degrees of dilution' scale.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
kitchen slugs
Ah, kitchen-slugs! Takes me back to Bethesda, many years ago. Traces of mysterious slime had appeared on work-surfaces a few times. I blamed unfastidious housemates, until I had a yen for some ice in the early hours.

Several gigantic slugs were disporting themselves in the pans on top of the stove!

I tried not to remember the day I had reheated some rice and dismissed their glossy traces as starch! :puke2:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Ah, kitchen-slugs! Takes me back to Bethesda, many years ago. Traces of mysterious slime had appeared on work-surfaces a few times. I blamed unfastidious housemates, until I had a yen for some ice in the early hours.

Several gigantic slugs were disporting themselves in the pans on top of the stove!

I tried not to remember the day I had reheated some rice and dismissed their glossy traces as starch! :puke2:
We used to get massive slugs popping over during the night to clean up the dogs' bowls. Couldn't find them during the day so concluded they were operating the cat flap.

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
This is both a whinge and an un whinge. My Mum's cancer's come back, she and Dad have been told that because she's got four 1mm nodules, the NHS have said they can only pay for three to be removed ... the good news is that my Dad can afford the twenty grand for her to have it done privately ...

... the brilliant news is they've just got to Cromer to visit me and the Mrs, we're all hooking up at a hotel tonight.
Hold on, let me get this straight, they are going in to get only three of them out, why, while they are in there, do they not remove the other one, it makes no sense, and, since when can they not afford it, we pay for the NHS, not them? Sorry i find it confusing, if any one can explain this i would be grateful
Good luck to your mum dear