The Whinge Thread, Resurrected

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
My car radio has stopped working. Even when it is not switched on it always shows a clock and temperature. But today; nothing. No display at all and it won't switch on. :(

It is not a fuse problem so we are somewhat stumped.
Have you reset it, by disconnecting the car battery? That's what I'd try next.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Eight pounds ten in the biscuit tin
Walking alone through the afternoon traffic...
It could be a 'registered' radio that requires a dealer to unlock it.
Thing is it's been fine for the almost-a-year that I've owned the car (it's not a new car though)... doesn't seem like an unlock thing, if you're meaning a radio code?

Basically when the car engine is switched on, the radio normally shows the clock and temperature on the screen, even if the radio itself is switched off. (Then if the radio is switched on, the display changes to show the CD track number or radio station or what-have-you).

But yesterday when I started up the engine, the screen just stayed blank, and none of the buttons on the radio work.

It's quite bizarre. Last time I drove it (a few days before), the radio was working fine. Now suddenly nothing.

Most frustrating. Small consolation is that the CD currently trapped inside the unit is a copy, so easily replaceable.

Cochise

Antediluvian
With the eventual intention of moving I have been attempting a clear out. High on the list of items to go were my son's dead cars. Told me he'd found someone to shift them (and one of mine as well) .

Total cowboys. Left mess and broken bits of car everywhere, and while passing my neighbour's house contrived to drop one of them off the back of the wagon and destroy my (very perfectionist) neighbour's fence. And of course its me who gets the GBH of the ear'ole, because son, who hired the twits, has been at work all weekend.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Eight pounds ten in the biscuit tin
Walking alone through the afternoon traffic...
With the eventual intention of moving I have been attempting a clear out. High on the list of items to go were my son's dead cars. Told me he'd found someone to shift them (and one of mine as well) .

Total cowboys. Left mess and broken bits of car everywhere, and while passing my neighbour's house contrived to drop one of them off the back of the wagon and destroy my (very perfectionist) neighbour's fence. And of course its me who gets the GBH of the ear'ole, because son, who hired the twits, has been at work all weekend.
How annoying. I hate it when people aren't careful with other people's property.

Good luck with your sorting out and eventual move, though.

Tried the tumble dryer with another 13 amp fuse - sadly, no lights or beeps. Dead as a dodo.
It's probably too old to fix now, anyway.
Do you really need a new one? Depends on how much washing you have I suppose but you could put a line up over your bath (if you don't have one outside) and when it's drip-dried put it on a radiator with a dehumidifier going next to it so the room doesn't get damp.

Dehumidifiers are much cheaper to run than tumble driers.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Do you really need a new one? Depends on how much washing you have I suppose but you could put a line up over your bath (if you don't have one outside) and when it's drip-dried put it on a radiator with a dehumidifier going next to it so the room doesn't get damp.

Dehumidifiers are much cheaper to run than tumble driers.
Yeah, I did that for years before I bought a dryer. Don't really want to go back to that.
I only do washing once a week anyway.