The Whinge Thread, Resurrected

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score
Went to pay some bills today, then pick up some items at the supermarket. Noticed everyone was carrying a packet of toilet paper, so rushed to the appropriate aisle, and not a damn pack in sight. Clearly I'd missed the delivery! Since there's enough toilet paper at home, I'm in no rush, but I would like to have had several spares in case I miss out next time!

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
My friend and neighbour Eamonn died about an hour ago, in hospital, of pneumonia.

His kindness to me when I was very depressed and unable to leave the house - he brought scones and butter every day for a week, the next week he accepted an invitation to join me inside to eat them, then we enjoyed them in the garden, and then we added his cousin Moira's gooseberry jam and demolished them gleefully round at his. We kept this up for 7-8 years :) weekly tea parties with scones.

He had numerous health problems and dealt with them all with glaswegian dark humour. Often one of us would be laid up with something and unable to get to Mass. Our plans were always to go together but scoliosis, fibro, asthma, autism, neuralgia and the like got in the way, especially in the winter. We were able to bring the Sacrament to each other as lay members.

It has been a privilege my friend. I'll see you on the other side.

He was 42 years old.

Ave Maria, gratia plena, Dominus tecum.
Benedicta tu in mulieribus, et benedictus fructus ventris tui, Iesus.
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus, nunc et in hora mortis nostrae.
Amen.

Requiem aeternam dona eis, Domine, et lux perpetua luceat eis.
Requiescant in pace.
Amen.

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
My friend and neighbour Eamonn died about an hour ago, in hospital, of pneumonia.

His kindness to me when I was very depressed and unable to leave the house - he brought scones and butter every day for a week, the next week he accepted an invitation to join me inside to eat them, then we enjoyed them in the garden, and then we added his cousin Moira's gooseberry jam and demolished them gleefully round at his. We kept this up for 7-8 years :) weekly tea parties with scones.

He had numerous health problems and dealt with them all with glaswegian dark humour. Often one of us would be laid up with something and unable to get to Mass. Our plans were always to go together but scoliosis, fibro, asthma, autism, neuralgia and the like got in the way, especially in the winter. We were able to bring the Sacrament to each other as lay members.

He was 42 years old.

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus, nunc et in hora mortis nostrae.
Amen.

Requiescant in pace.
Amen.
Clicking 'like' doesn't seem appropriate here Frideswide, but I think your post is a beautiful tribute to someone who sounds like a friend and inspiration.

I hope the good memories support you through this difficult time.

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
Reaction score

He was 42 years old.

Amen.

Requiescant in pace.
Amen.
_/\_

Ger

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score

He was 42 years old.

Amen.

Requiescant in pace.
Amen.
... So sorry to hear of your friend passing away Frideswide. Sounds like a lovely man. Hope your memories of him will help you in time. Love your tribute at the end there,( we had a Latin Mass every four weeks at local church where I used to live. Small choir I used to sing in). So young ,very sad ...glad you made some lovely memories together xx

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

He was 42 years old.

Amen.

Requiescant in pace.
Amen.
42 is no age. Sorry for your loss.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

He was 42 years old.

Amen.

Requiescant in pace.
Amen.
42 is very young. Sorry to hear that.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score

He was 42 years old.

Amen.

Requiescant in pace.
Amen.
So sorry to hear this. He was so young to die. My condolences on your loss.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score

He was 42 years old.

Amen.

Requiescant in pace.
Amen.
Sounds like a great bloke .. sorry for your loss X

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
Reaction score

He was 42 years old.

Amen.

Requiescant in pace.
Amen.
My condolences on Eamonn's passing, Frideswide. He sounds like a lovely man.

Memory eternal!

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score

He was 42 years old.

Amen.

Requiescant in pace.
Amen.
So sorry for the loss of your friend, Frides

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score

He was 42 years old.

Amen.

Requiescant in pace.
Amen.
So sorry to hear that, what a nice guy. You were very fortunate to have him as a friend and I'm sure he felt the same about you.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think this counts as a mere whinge, it's a genuine loss to lose a friend, whatever the circumstances.
Very true ... Friends - true, good friends - are the family you're privileged to select during your lifetime. The fact they're in your life by your choice rather than happenstance means the roots run as deep or deeper as with blood relatives, and their loss is therefore as deep a wound as many, if not most, losses within one's family.

I'm sorry for your loss ... Maintain the good memories with a scone now and then ...

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

He was 42 years old.

Amen.

Requiescant in pace.
Amen.
My condolences and deepest sympathies to you.:group::group::group::group::group::group:

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Reaction score
I'm very sorry you lost a good friend, Frideswide. I hope you're doing OK.

Schrodinger's Zebra

My joints go out more than I do
Reaction score

He was 42 years old.

Amen.

Requiescant in pace.
Amen.
My condolences. :group:

Ringo

Less than 2m away
Reaction score
@Frideswide I just realised reading your post that I don't have a friend like that. It seems to me that you were both lucky. I hope your memories make you smile. Our time here is fleeting and I can't think of many better ways of wasting it than with a good friend eating scones and jam in the garden.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Ok- big whinge coming.
So people are staying at home and only going out once a day to exercise. Fine, they are keeping themselves and their families safe, and reducing the risk of taking up an unnecessary NHS bed.
We walk the dogs, between us twice a day, usually in the local nature reserve which is invariably quiet and we usually only meet other dog walkers.
Now, the reserve is packed with families out and exercising together. Fine, but to hear someone moan about the number of dogs whilst he is out with his kids is ridiculous when you suspect (on the basis we have never seen him or his family before) that he is only there because a) he is not at work and b) the pubs are shut. Admittedly the number of dogs has exploded and some poor mutts are getting regular exercise when before they would have only had the run of a garden, or maybe others are borrowing the neighbours dogs in order to get an excuse to get out.
However, at the risk of upsetting the considerate cyclists on this thread, I am astounded at the behaviour of some of the cyclists who have appeared out of nowhere.
One Guy was racing his daughter at speed through the reserve as we walked the dog. The cycle path is considerably wider than the footpath yet he felt they were allowed to race, side by side, taking over the footpath and the cycle path and then scream at us to get the FECKIN dogs out of the way.
Admittedly at one point the footpath passes one side of a small group of trees whilst the cycle path passes the other. A gaggle of mother’s with young kids took up the footpath so we scooted along the cycle route and met a cyclist who stopped, shook his head and at the top of his voice screamed ” what’s up with you people?”
But the biscuit goes to the number of cyclists who stray off the cycle routes to ride down the FOOTPATHS and then expect pedestrians to get out of their way by shouting and (occasionally) ringing a bell.
One guy was riding his bike with his son in front of him, his son obviously had a fear of dogs and seeing us, turned off the FOOTPATH, run out of control down a dip and crashed into a tree. The boy screamed, the dad shouted at us to keep our dogs under control when both were on leads and were perfectly under control.
I may start walking the dogs with an open shotgun over my arm!

Schrodinger's Zebra

My joints go out more than I do
Reaction score
Ok- big whinge coming.
So people are staying at home and only going out once a day to exercise. Fine, they are keeping themselves and their families safe, and reducing the risk of taking up an unnecessary NHS bed.
We walk the dogs, between us twice a day, usually in the local nature reserve which is invariably quiet and we usually only meet other dog walkers.
Now, the reserve is packed with families out and exercising together. Fine, but to hear someone moan about the number of dogs whilst he is out with his kids is ridiculous when you suspect (on the basis we have never seen him or his family before) that he is only there because a) he is not at work and b) the pubs are shut. Admittedly the number of dogs has exploded and some poor mutts are getting regular exercise when before they would have only had the run of a garden, or maybe others are borrowing the neighbours dogs in order to get an excuse to get out.
However, at the risk of upsetting the considerate cyclists on this thread, I am astounded at the behaviour of some of the cyclists who have appeared out of nowhere.
One Guy was racing his daughter at speed through the reserve as we walked the dog. The cycle path is considerably wider than the footpath yet he felt they were allowed to race, side by side, taking over the footpath and the cycle path and then scream at us to get the FECKIN dogs out of the way.
Admittedly at one point the footpath passes one side of a small group of trees whilst the cycle path passes the other. A gaggle of mother’s with young kids took up the footpath so we scooted along the cycle route and met a cyclist who stopped, shook his head and at the top of his voice screamed ” what’s up with you people?”
But the biscuit goes to the number of cyclists who stray off the cycle routes to ride down the FOOTPATHS and then expect pedestrians to get out of their way by shouting and (occasionally) ringing a bell.
One guy was riding his bike with his son in front of him, his son obviously had a fear of dogs and seeing us, turned off the FOOTPATH, run out of control down a dip and crashed into a tree. The boy screamed, the dad shouted at us to keep our dogs under control when both were on leads and were perfectly under control.
I may start walking the dogs with an open shotgun over my arm!
There's no accounting for idiots, is there.

And I hate (being a dog owner myself) people blaming dogs for things when the dogs aren't doing anything wrong.

Sounds like that chap's son didn't keep a safe 2-metre distance from the tree, though. :btime:

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
I work in a supermarket.

My list of whinges presently would make your hair curl. Currently whingeing about a bloke who put a ten pound note in his mouth before paying me with it...

My condolences on the loss of your friend, Frides.