The Whinge Thread, Resurrected

Schrodinger's Zebra

My joints go out more than I do
Reaction score
I work in a supermarket.

My list of whinges presently would make your hair curl. Currently whingeing about a bloke who put a ten pound note in his mouth before paying me with it...
I wonder if there'd be a valid case, under the present climate, for you to refuse to handle such money? (I admit it would take some degree of confrontation, which I for one - wimp that I am - would not be able to muster). But surely you shouldn't have to subject yourself to blatant ickyness-spreading such as that?

(Why people behave like that is beyond me).

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
I think it's because they genuinely don't 'see' the person behind the till. They are so used to taking supermarket staff for granted that they forget there's an actual person risking their health for minimum wage every day.

tuco

Spitting in a wishing well
Reaction score
Ok- big whinge coming.
So people are staying at home and only going out once a day to exercise. Fine, they are keeping themselves and their families safe, and reducing the risk of taking up an unnecessary NHS bed.
We walk the dogs, between us twice a day, usually in the local nature reserve which is invariably quiet and we usually only meet other dog walkers.
Now, the reserve is packed with families out and exercising together. Fine, but to hear someone moan about the number of dogs whilst he is out with his kids is ridiculous when you suspect (on the basis we have never seen him or his family before) that he is only there because a) he is not at work and b) the pubs are shut. Admittedly the number of dogs has exploded and some poor mutts are getting regular exercise when before they would have only had the run of a garden, or maybe others are borrowing the neighbours dogs in order to get an excuse to get out.
However, at the risk of upsetting the considerate cyclists on this thread, I am astounded at the behaviour of some of the cyclists who have appeared out of nowhere.
One Guy was racing his daughter at speed through the reserve as we walked the dog. The cycle path is considerably wider than the footpath yet he felt they were allowed to race, side by side, taking over the footpath and the cycle path and then scream at us to get the FECKIN dogs out of the way.
Admittedly at one point the footpath passes one side of a small group of trees whilst the cycle path passes the other. A gaggle of mother’s with young kids took up the footpath so we scooted along the cycle route and met a cyclist who stopped, shook his head and at the top of his voice screamed ” what’s up with you people?”
But the biscuit goes to the number of cyclists who stray off the cycle routes to ride down the FOOTPATHS and then expect pedestrians to get out of their way by shouting and (occasionally) ringing a bell.
One guy was riding his bike with his son in front of him, his son obviously had a fear of dogs and seeing us, turned off the FOOTPATH, run out of control down a dip and crashed into a tree. The boy screamed, the dad shouted at us to keep our dogs under control when both were on leads and were perfectly under control.
I may start walking the dogs with an open shotgun over my arm!
Control freaks are becoming more obvious as they think they are losing control of there own lives.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
catseye my daughter has the same problem with people putting money in their mouth. She tells them that it's dirty doing that and disinfects her hands after, but as I said, the money gets put in the till with the other money...

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
It's a small whinge in the context of the current times, but the dimensions of Foolscap paper are much more aesthetically pleasing that those of A4, which appears squat and ungainly in comparison. For letters, Foolscap also folds into a more pleasing shape, one more reminiscent of a scroll.

The answer will inevitably some kind of compromise with the utilitarian drives for cost and standardisation, but it's irritating that, again, the world has come down in favour of the uglier option.

800px-FolioA4.svg.png

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I think it's because they genuinely don't 'see' the person behind the till. They are so used to taking supermarket staff for granted that they forget there's an actual person risking their health for minimum wage every day.
It's a fine line to tread. I am always polite and say 'please' and 'thank you' a lot to till and shop staff but I don't try to make small talk. They don't want to hear about my day!

Though if the weather has changed, say, I'll mention it and say 'Hope you have your brolly!' or whatever.

Reaction score
Also, the 'money in the mouth' thing is appalling. Reminds me of the stories of the Plague days when the judge condemning a prisoner in the dock would die before the prisoner did.
There's a stone in a field near me that has a plague legend attached to it and it also concerns money.

It's called The Butter Stone and it's a large-ish boulder about two or three feet tall. On the top is a carved-out hollow a couple of inches across and the legend states that in the times of the plague, butter merchants and farmers would leave produce by the stone and anyone wishing to buy something would leave coins in the hollow, so they could avoid any contact.
The hollow was said to be filled with vinegar, the belief being that this prevented the plague passing with the coins. Someone (this century) has glued an old coin into the hollow.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
My friend and neighbour Eamonn died about an hour ago, in hospital, of pneumonia.

His kindness to me when I was very depressed and unable to leave the house - he brought scones and butter every day for a week, the next week he accepted an invitation to join me inside to eat them, then we enjoyed them in the garden, and then we added his cousin Moira's gooseberry jam and demolished them gleefully round at his. We kept this up for 7-8 years :) weekly tea parties with scones.

He had numerous health problems and dealt with them all with glaswegian dark humour. Often one of us would be laid up with something and unable to get to Mass. Our plans were always to go together but scoliosis, fibro, asthma, autism, neuralgia and the like got in the way, especially in the winter. We were able to bring the Sacrament to each other as lay members.

It has been a privilege my friend. I'll see you on the other side.

He was 42 years old.

Ave Maria, gratia plena, Dominus tecum.
Benedicta tu in mulieribus, et benedictus fructus ventris tui, Iesus.
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus, nunc et in hora mortis nostrae.
Amen.

Requiem aeternam dona eis, Domine, et lux perpetua luceat eis.
Requiescant in pace.
Amen.
I'm only just reading this for the first time.
My condolences on the loss of your friend. Some friends are just that, friends, some leave a lasting memory, and some are truly a privilege to have known, as you said. It seems that you were one of the lucky ones... and so was he.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
It's OK, it comes and it goes. Seems to be going today. Weird thing is, sensitive toothpaste has no effect on it, and the dentist can't find anything wrong.

I do have coffee, it's just hot food and liquid are painful to eat/drink!

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
It's OK, it comes and it goes. Seems to be going today. Weird thing is, sensitive toothpaste has no effect on it, and the dentist can't find anything wrong.

I do have coffee, it's just hot food and liquid are painful to eat/drink!
It may be an issue like I had. A tooth had a hairline crack that went down to the core of the tooth. The crack didn't show up on X-rays and was barely visible at the surface. I had an infection under that tooth, had it pulled. I asked to examine the tooth afterwards so I could see the fracture for myself.

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
@GNC Try some corsidil (The stuff in the lil dumpy bottle)not sure if i spelt that right, but it is darn good stuff

Whinge:
i am fucking furious, some fucking evil bastard as poisoned my SiL friends gorgeous cat, he was a huuuuuuuuuge silver striped gorgeous creature, who the fuck can do that, they want to hope my SiL does not find out who it is, i said if they have done it to one they will do it to others, i hate these things with a fury that hell itself would be proud of

sorry for swearing but i cant convey my fury any other way

Last edited:

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Great time for my sensitive teeth to flare up... just when I was thinking at least I could enjoy a coffee.
I've got two thirds of my bottom left wisdom tooth left, last one remaining, cheerfully rotting away and no dentist can see me because of lockdown ................... I've got paracetemol, ibuprofen, clove oil, brandy and vodka instead, the pain's coming and going so far, fortunately I'm an old hand at not being able to afford to pay for dentist's golfing holidays, Mercedes and or cocaine habits so you dip a Rizzla paper into clove oil and stuff that into the painful hole instead when you can't afford extortion ..

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
@GNC Try some corsidil (The stuff in the lil dumpy bottle)not sure if i spelt that right, but it is darn good stuff

Whinge:
i am fucking furious, some fucking evil bastard as poisoned my SiL friends gorgeous cat, he was a huuuuuuuuuge silver striped gorgeous creature, who the fuck can do that, they want to hope my SiL does not find out who it is, i said if they have done it to one they will do it to others, i hate these things with a fury that hell itself would be proud of

Your swearing is justified.

I'd like to get my hands on whoever did this.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
...some fucking evil bastard as poisoned my SiL friends gorgeous cat...
Whoa! What is the evidence that the cat was poisoned deliberately and/or maliciously?

Did somebody see it happen, or - as l suspect - did the cat fall ill displaying symptoms that might be consistent with poisoning, by whatever means, e.g. eating something spoiled or contaminated?

Starting or promulgating rumours like this is a good way to get your local pigeon fancier/duck breeder/gamekeeper’s windows put in, or worse.

lf there is evidence, then put it in the hands of the police.

maximus otter

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
I was going to suggest accidentally getting at some rat stuff.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
I've got two thirds of my bottom left wisdom tooth left, last one remaining, cheerfully rotting away and no dentist can see me because of lockdown ................... I've got paracetemol, ibuprofen, clove oil, brandy and vodka instead, the pain's coming and going so far, fortunately I'm an old hand at not being able to afford to pay for dentist's golfing holidays, Mercedes and or cocaine habits so you dip a Rizzla paper into clove oil and stuff that into the painful hole instead when you can't afford extortion ..
Have you tried Chlorhexidine? Dentists do not recommend the medicated mouthwash ostensibly on the grounds that it stains the teeth. They do promote alternatives which you can buy from them and which cost an arm and a leg! Generic Chlorhexidine - avoid the expensive brands* - can be had for about £2. It keeps infections and gum disease under control. Tooth polish will cope with the staining,

If the pain is in the root-canal, it may not reach the cause but mention of a hole suggests an exposed nerve, which might repond to the mouthwash.o_O

*I have seen Shady mentioned Corsidil above in a reply to GNC. It's fine but tends to be twice the price of alternatives. Even poundshops have Chlorhexidine, albeit in smaller bottles than standard.

Last edited:

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Reaction score

Whinge:

What exactly happened Shady ?

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Have you tried Chlorhexidine? Dentists do not recommend the medicated mouthwash ostensibly on the grounds that it stains the teeth. They do promote alternatives which you can buy from them and which cost an arm and a leg! Generic Chlorhexidine - avoid the expensive brands* - can be had for about £2. It keeps infections and gum disease under control. Tooth polish will cope with the staining,

If the pain is in the root-canal, it may not reach the cause but mention of a hole suggests an exposed nerve, which might repond to the mouthwash.o_O

*I have seen Shady mentioned Corsidil above in a reply to GNC. It's fine but ends to be twice the price of alternatives. Even poundshops have Chlorhexidine, albeit in smaller bottles than standard.
Thanks, l'll look for some of that.

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
I have no idea, only three of us know, i have sent her a text asking, but she may be asleep, she is on 7 days confinement as she has a chest infection so she may be tired

Tempest63

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score

Whinge:

one of our cats (from the first marriage) poisoned himself, the Vet believed, by eating bran covered slug pellets. Cats and slugs are both attracted to the bran. He survived against all the odds and lived past 20.

Monstrosa

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I've been a cupid stunt and forgot that today was Good Friday. I thought I could get my filled script from the dispensary (think again numbo) It'll be Tuesday before I can get them now.

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
I had a reply from my SiL about Henry, her friends cat, he was definatly poisoned she took him to the vet and he was tested :( I advised her to contact the police in case there is a pattern forming, i wouldn't have thought they would care about this, as they have enough on their plate with the idiots who wont stay in.