The Whinge Thread, Resurrected

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score
Went grocery shopping today, and noticed that there were shelves with soap and facial tissues, but no toilet paper. Despite being told not to panic buy, and limits on such purchases, why are people still panic buying the damn stuff?

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Reaction score
Went grocery shopping today, and noticed that there were shelves with soap and facial tissues, but no toilet paper. Despite being told not to panic buy, and limits on such purchases, why are people still panic buying the damn stuff?
Because there's none the shelves and when there are people panic buy. Capt obvious over and out

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
This is the latest installment in a succession of whinges.

We had an extension completed a few years ago but the electrics were done by a trained monkey, actually probably an untrained monkey. I was getting 120 volts through the rim of our induction hob. Anyway, our poorly plumbed-in induction hob finally gave up the ghost on Saturday, necessitating its disconnection. Turned out it was powered by the same inadequate cable as the double oven, no surprise really.

So prior to getting all the electrics overhauled properly post-lockdown I ordered a two-zone portable induction hob, paying extra for next day delivery – ie today.

It didn't turn up. Fine. So I check the tracking details. They claim to have tried to deliver it at 12.34 when we were both in - it's not like we're going out. It's claimed I was sent an email to confirm delivery; I wasn't. The company also has my mobile and home number but somehow they couldn't contact me. The little fibbers.

I'm very annoyed.

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

We had an extension completed a few years ago but the electrics were done by a trained monkey, actually probably an untrained monkey. I was getting 120 volts through the rim of our induction hob. Anyway, our poorly plumbed-in induction hob finally gave up the ghost on Saturday, necessitating its disconnection. Turned out it was powered by the same inadequate cable as the double oven, no surprise really.

So prior to getting all the electrics overhauled properly post-lockdown I ordered a two-zone portable induction hob, paying extra for next day delivery – ie today.

It didn't turn up. Fine. So I check the tracking details. They claim to have tried to deliver it at 12.34 when we were both in - it's not like we're going out. It's claimed I was sent an email to confirm delivery; I wasn't. The company also has my mobile and home number but somehow they couldn't contact me. The little fibbers.

I'm very annoyed.
Cook by backyard campfire!:mcoat:

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Reaction score

I'm very annoyed.
It's an old scam. I've posted about it here before. If you have a steep drive, steps or whatever you've ordered is big and bulking they'll pretend to knock on your door and then leave a note saying you were not in.

I was told this is how it works by a courier driver.

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
It's an old scam. I've posted about it here before. If you have a steep drive, steps or whatever you've ordered is big and bulking they'll pretend to knock on your door and then leave a note saying you were not in.

I was told this is how it works by a courier driver.
I have a short sidewalk and level driveway and I have had this happen lol. The walk to my mailbox to put the bite in rather than knock on the door. It always happens (regardless of package size) when it requires a signature. I then have to go to the local post pickup to sign and pick up:actw:

tuco

Spitting in a wishing well
Reaction score
I share a communal post box which Royal Mail postmen seem to have trouble finding, I'm just down the road from the sorting office which means new postmen get put on my route as its close and RM seem worried about them getting lost, the record so far has been just over a month with no post, would have been longer but I picked them up myself, the sorting office is very unhelpful, they just say its a 'postal black spot'.

Nemo

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I cant watch the offical Bob Ross channel on youtube anymore, as it's not available in my country. :(

Tempest63

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
More feckin lunatics let loose on cycles through the nature reserve today. They equate cycle path with race track and with the number of elderly, children and dog walkers exercising there I can see it all ending in tears.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I cant watch the offical Bob Ross channel on youtube anymore, as it's not available in my country. :(
BBC4, 7pm all week for the foreseeable future they're showing Bob. On iPlayer if you missed it.

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
Got a cold, now got a vile taste in my throat and threw up, guess its the stuff running from my nose down the back of my throat, feel a bit better now i threw up but still got the taste yuk

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Anyone else finding their internet connections pretty shit this week? If it's still like this tomorrow I'm going to have to let some people down. No good. Are there too many people online at the moment? Fortunately it's not affecting my podcast listening, but nevertheless, I honestly believe the internet is an essential at times like these.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Anyone else finding their internet connections pretty shit this week? If it's still like this tomorrow I'm going to have to let some people down. No good. Are there too many people online at the moment? Fortunately it's not affecting my podcast listening, but nevertheless, I honestly believe the internet is an essential at times like these.
Yes - mine was intermittent yesterday & earlier today, sometimes working, sometimes not at all. Even my phone went dead for a while. It's now working again..

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
I think Virgin notified widespread issues.

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
I've had the odd glitch, you know, not quite fast enough,' but nothing major at all, I'm with EE, good company

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Internet seems to be OK today! Back on an even keel. Whinge over.

Sollywos

Studying for finals of Grumpy Old Lady degree.
Reaction score
If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Bloddy bu88erin FB are not going to support the current version of Scrabble after June as they have developed a new one which, as it happens surprize surprize, is beyond dire ... all glitzy and whizz bangy and 'prizes for this and that. I felt ill just looking at the damn thing.

Sod 'em!

Sollywos xx

Krepostnoi

Almost uniquely humourless
Reaction score
If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Bloddy bu88erin FB are not going to support the current version of Scrabble after June as they have developed a new one which, as it happens surprize surprize, is beyond dire ... all glitzy and whizz bangy and 'prizes for this and that. I felt ill just looking at the damn thing.

Sod 'em!

Sollywos xx
Preach! I downloaded the official Android Scrabble app, thinking that my girls and I could play it with my parents. It's just awful - ooh, you put a tile down, here's a badge. Ooh, you got a badge, here's another badge. Do you want to compare badges with ADHD1973? Get another five badges and you can start customising your tiles - here's a varnish brush!

Just. Let. Me. Play. The. Sodding. Game.

Sollywos

Studying for finals of Grumpy Old Lady degree.
Reaction score
Just. Let. Me. Play. The. Sodding. Game.
Exactly!!!

I'm actually very down about it .. it's been a way for me to feel connected to an ex collegue, an old friend, and some new ones, especially one in Oregon, on a daily basis and is currently therefore one of my sanity tools. It's non demanding social interaction ... just the equivalent of a nod and smile and 'how are you' via the little chat box plus a change to exercise the old grey matter. The occassional longer moan or sharing of some joy for sure but more often than not just a cheery wave from across the globe.

Of course we can still communicate via other ways but it's not the same.

Sollywos x

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
By complete chance, I just watched a review for Streets of Rage 4 and it looks retro-fabulous.

I didn't know the game even existed (I used to love Pts. 1 & 2 when I was younger).

But I only have a MacBook, and it hasn't been released on this system.

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Reaction score
Caught up in some stressful bullshit with my gambling-addict landlord and his mother (who is technically my landlord). He very insistently pressures me to pay him every month and she very insistently tells me to pay it to her or he'll blow it all on mahjong and his kids will go hungry. It's rent time again and he's coming up with all sorts of lies and excuses so he can get his hands on it first and it really stresses me out. Gambling addiction is a real thing, he's acting like a junkie.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
Caught up in some stressful bullshit with my gambling-addict landlord and his mother (who is technically my landlord). He very insistently pressures me to pay him every month and she very insistently tells me to pay it to her or he'll blow it all on mahjong and his kids will go hungry. It's rent time again and he's coming up with all sorts of lies and excuses so he can get his hands on it first and it really stresses me out. Gambling addiction is a real thing, he's acting like a junkie.
that sounds rubbish :(

is it possible to set up an electronic transfer to her?

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Reaction score
that sounds rubbish :(

is it possible to set up an electronic transfer to her?
She doesn't use banks, so she takes the rent in cash. I told him as unambiguously as possible without directly calling him a liar (he's a massive liar) that I knew what was up and I'd be paying the rent to his mother unless she directly told me otherwise. Then I suggested we all three meet together to discuss it and he backed down. Just hope he doesn't start again next month. I don't stand up very well to pressure.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
What a load of stress that is for you, on top of everything else that's going on.

Yup, gambling is certainly a real addiction. We've all seen how bad it can be. Gamblers can act quite aggressively if they feel thwarted. Don't be alone with him! Or alone with him and your wallet.