The Whinge Thread, Resurrected

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
@michael59, kudos. I have never smoked, but have known many people who have tried. Some can quit cold turkey and never look back. Others try, several times, and do eventually quit, but have difficulty along the way. I have come to believe that for some, smoking is a habit and for others it is an addiction. The people who are addicted have the more difficult time quitting.

I also think that a big part of quitting, that I have never seen really addressed or talked about, is the very social aspect of smoking. People rarely (and I am talking more of what I’ve personally noted) smoke on their own, except maybe at home. There always seems to be a regular group who gather for a smoke and chat. So one who quits smoking, often does it on his/her own and suddenly is not in the group. There is no immediate replacement for the loss of the social aspect of smoking, thus making it even more difficult.

And from what I understand, you quit 6 months ago (just before Xmas), then almost immediately after we have this C19 sh*t which we can’t/shouldn’t go anywhere. So you unintentionally picked a very difficult, time to quit. You’ve done exceedingly well. Don’t discredit your accomplishment.

At my place of work (residential group home), I work with a friend who smokes, she jokingly asks me if I want to go for a fake smoke - which of course I do, if the weather is good. Lol

michael59

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
@michael59, kudos. I have never smoked, but have known many people who have tried. Some can quit cold turkey and never look back. Others try, several times, and do eventually quit, but have difficulty along the way. I have come to believe that for some, smoking is a habit and for others it is an addiction. The people who are addicted have the more difficult time quitting.

I also think that a big part of quitting, that I have never seen really addressed or talked about, is the very social aspect of smoking. People rarely (and I am talking more of what I’ve personally noted) smoke on their own, except maybe at home. There always seems to be a regular group who gather for a smoke and chat. So one who quits smoking, often does it on his/her own and suddenly is not in the group. There is no immediate replacement for the loss of the social aspect of smoking, thus making it even more difficult.

And from what I understand, you quit 6 months ago (just before Xmas), then almost immediately after we have this C19 sh*t which we can’t/shouldn’t go anywhere. So you unintentionally picked a very difficult, time to quit. You’ve done exceedingly well. Don’t discredit your accomplishment.

At my place of work (residential group home), I work with a friend who smokes, she jokingly asks me if I want to go for a fake smoke - which of course I do, if the weather is good. Lol
Yeah, most people don't seem to understand how acceptable it was in my time to smoke. You could light up anywhere and it was never questioned. Movie theatres, restaurants, I even smoked right in the classroom when I attended college. It was time to quit tho. Everyone that I know who used to smoke had quit years before I was able to do so. I was starting to feel like a leper. I tried all kinds of ways to give it up but, I was only ever even partially successful when going cold turkey.

Thank you, Brownmane. :)

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Well, that was a more eventful evening than I intended. Turned on the computer, and noticed interference on the monitor, so checked for updates, had a look at the resolution etc, and then noticed the smell of burning plastic. Had to switch off pretty fast, but luckily have my previous monitor from about 20 years ago to fall back on. Spent another while trying to get it going, and onto Amazon where I will now have to spend my birthday present money on a new monitor, which will arrive sometime in... July. Bah. Off to bed soon, not a good day.

michael59

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Well, that was a more eventful evening than I intended. Turned on the computer, and noticed interference on the monitor, so checked for updates, had a look at the resolution etc, and then noticed the smell of burning plastic. Had to switch off pretty fast, but luckily have my previous monitor from about 20 years ago to fall back on. Spent another while trying to get it going, and onto Amazon where I will now have to spend my birthday present money on a new monitor, which will arrive sometime in... July. Bah. Off to bed soon, not a good day.
Sorry to hear you had a rough day. :bpals:

It must feel pretty strange using an old model like that for a monitor after all these years.

Do you get out much? The local pawn shops have plenty of gently used monitors for reasonable prices. You can even haggle with them to get the price down further.

titch

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
During the worst of the current unpleasantness I was getting regular letters from my big boss, saying what an amazing job I was doing, there are normally three of us, but for a week I was on my own ( well with what help could be spared from our sister cemetery)

Today he turned up, said the cemetery was opening Up Tuesday. I said it wasn't safe, I was told basicly to put up with it.
Then he said we where going back to closing at 5pm. I said that would put me in the middle of the rush hour. Tough I was basically told.

Now you may well be siding with my big boss at this point. But then he said he was ashamed at the state of the cemetery. We normally have on average one funeral a month, in April we had three in one day, we had so many funerals I was having to note down the names and times of each one because it was confusing otherwise.

I have bust a gut in very difficult circumstances and now have been criticized for not being capable of miracles.

If I wasn't a passed it old fuck I would be looking for another job.

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
Reaction score
During the worst of the current unpleasantness I was getting regular letters from my big boss, saying what an amazing job I was doing, there are normally three of us, but for a week I was on my own ( well with what help could be spared from our sister cemetery)

Today he turned up, said the cemetery was opening Up Tuesday. I said it wasn't safe, I was told basicly to put up with it.
Then he said we where going back to closing at 5pm. I said that would put me in the middle of the rush hour. Tough I was basically told.

Now you may well be siding with my big boss at this point. But then he said he was ashamed at the state of the cemetery. We normally have on average one funeral a month, in April we had three in one day, we had so many funerals I was having to note down the names and times of each one because it was confusing otherwise.

I have bust a gut in very difficult circumstances and now have been criticized for not being capable of miracles.

Never hurts to keep an eye open. There are other cemetaries. Sounds like your boss shouldn't be let talk to the clients, heaven knows what will come out of his mouth.

Sollywos

Studying for finals of Grumpy Old Lady degree.
Reaction score
Now you may well be siding with my big boss at this point.
I'd already formed a low opnion of him which was confirmed by his criticising your work. Damn him!!

I felt for you as something similar happened to me many years ago. I still have regrets about not actually punching the old sod (should a pacifist admit to such thoughts?)

Anyway stay as safe as possible and look out for other opportunities .. you never know. All the best.

Sollywos xx

michael59

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score

He was out of line. Although, he did send letters previously stating how amazing you are. Maybe something happened to him? A death in the family or friend circle, maybe?

It does not excuse his behavior, it was at the very least unprofessional. Does he have a history of behavioral swings like this? How long have you worked there? Will others be returning to help you?

I hate it when people trod on others. You should be receiving a raise in pay for doing the work of three men in a very busy and dangerous time. :mad:

Not sure why but, even tho it wasn't me that went through it, I still take it personal. :glum:

I'm really sorry that happened to you, Titch. :bpals:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you had a rough day. :bpals:

It must feel pretty strange using an old model like that for a monitor after all these years.

Do you get out much? The local pawn shops have plenty of gently used monitors for reasonable prices. You can even haggle with them to get the price down further.
Thanks. I've already ordered a new one, and yes, this ancient one (it's square!) is pretty strange. I had an e-mail saying the new one's on its way, so with any luck it'll be here sooner rather than later.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score

He sounds like a right cunt. I'm not saying anything you haven't already concluded yourself. Not much help I know..

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
Anyone else having trouble getting onto NatWest online banking? i keep getting The requested URL was rejected, and a support ID, Iv'e been trying since yesterday

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
When i put it in, that site you just gave me, its telling me i havent entered a valid domain or service name, weird

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Anyone else having trouble getting onto NatWest online banking? i keep getting The requested URL was rejected, and a support ID, Iv'e been trying since yesterday
It might be your browser.

For a while I couldn't access my credit union through Chrome but Opera and Edge worked ok for it.

michael59

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Birthday card from my mother arrived today.
Posted March 9th.
Whaaat?! Where does she live? Wait, it doesn't matter where she lives, unless it's a different planet! Whaaat? That is just inexcusable.

Was there money in it? I ask because one time I got a $25 gift certificate for Sobey's. I knew it was coming and yet it did not arrive for 2 months. When I did get it it had been opened and then taped shut. I think someone in my building had a change of conscious. Maybe it got delivered to one of your neighbors, by mistake, and they finally decided to deliver it to you?

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Whaaat?! Where does she live? Wait, it doesn't matter where she lives, unless it's a different planet! Whaaat? That is just inexcusable.

Was there money in it? I ask because one time I got a $25 gift certificate for Sobey's. I knew it was coming and yet it did not arrive for 2 months. When I did get it it had been opened and then taped shut. I think someone in my building had a change of conscious. Maybe it got delivered to one of your neighbors, by mistake, and they finally decided to deliver it to you?
She lives in the U.K. and I'm in South Korea.

Standard delivery time is 7 to 10 days.

Needless to say, they are failing to meet targets by some measure.

No cash--have learnt that lesson!

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
I've just found one of our new brood of blackbird fledgelings, torn apart and abandoned in kit form on our garden path.

I hope that it appreciated its role in enlivening the between-meal ennui of one of our neighbours' many cats.

maximus otter

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
We've had the feeling for a while that we're being overcharged for our gas and electricity, and we also get our inadequate internet through the same supplier. A few minutes on USwitch and I found we could save more than £200 a year on power alone, so I called our supplier and after a couple of long chats was told point blank that we couldn't be offered a better deal. This was after telling our supplier the names of the many companies that would save us from £180-£225 a year.

I was slightly taken aback by the unwillingness of their sales dept to make any effort to keep our £1000-plus per year custom they get from us but we'll be saying goodbye to them sharpish, and hopefully hello to an internet supplier whose internet will reach all the rooms in our house; the speed is good but the spread is poor.

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
Reaction score
I don't often whinge but... clothes!

I'm disabled, I'm fat and I'm quite tall. All I want are soft, comfortable clothes that vaguely suit me. I don't go for the 'sports wear' look at all but like the soft stretchy fabrics. Getting showered and dressed is such a fricking faff, taking up to an hour so the days of fitted clothes, tailoring and fancy fastenings are gone. I can be knackered by the time I just get clean and dressed.

[on a tangent many moons ago I used to do sexy retro dresses, 6-garter stockings, high heels, the lot, on occasion, like a chubby Marilyn]

Now, many spinal surgeries later, If I find something I really like, I'll wear it until it has holes in and then even wear it for gardening/cleaning. But can I ever find it again? No! The barstewards replace it with something else that is a worse fit/fussy/uncomfortable fabric.

I once bought 3 x pairs of really soft, flowing cotton-lycra jersey 'yoga pants' with just a plain jersey waistband (quite high), and wore them for almost a decade. Can't find anything resembling them anywhere now. M&S did the same in a plain waisted skater dress style, got a couple then they switched their design to something that just...doesn't fit comfortably and the neckline is too high (I can't wear anything high-necked, it gives me the fidgets all day).

Matalan, before they decided to go 'Alt-Primark' about 12-14 years ago, used to do more classic clothes in the size range 8-22 and I used to get great comfy jeans and t-shirts there. Now the wazzocks have a separate fatty range and it's crappy shite.

*Rant rant rant rant*

Thank you for listening (I'll understand if you didn't)

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

I'm disabled, I'm fat and I'm quite tall. All I want are soft, comfortable clothes that vaguely suit me. I don't go for the 'sports wear' look at all but like the soft stretchy fabrics. Getting showered and dressed is such a fricking faff, taking up to an hour so the days of fitted clothes, tailoring and fancy fastenings are gone. I can be knackered by the time I just get clean and dressed.

[on a tangent many moons ago I used to do sexy retro dresses, 6-garter stockings, high heels, the lot, on occasion, like a chubby Marilyn]

Now, many spinal surgeries later, If I find something I really like, I'll wear it until it has holes in and then even wear it for gardening/cleaning. But can I ever find it again? No! The barstewards replace it with something else that is a worse fit/fussy/uncomfortable fabric.

I once bought 3 x pairs of really soft, flowing cotton-lycra jersey 'yoga pants' with just a plain jersey waistband (quite high), and wore them for almost a decade. Can't find anything resembling them anywhere now. M&S did the same in a plain waisted skater dress style, got a couple then they switched their design to something that just...doesn't fit comfortably and the neckline is too high (I can't wear anything high-necked, it gives me the fidgets all day).

Matalan, before they decided to go 'Alt-Primark' about 12-14 years ago, used to do more classic clothes in the size range 8-22 and I used to get great comfy jeans and t-shirts there. Now the wazzocks have a separate fatty range and it's crappy shite.

*Rant rant rant rant*

My Mum used to shop in Evans years ago when she was larger. For some years now, she has been much thinner, so she buys mostly from M & S.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

*Rant rant rant rant*

Do you sew at all? I used to make nice clothes for larger friends years ago. Haven't done it for a while, there didn't seem to be the demand as most places now do smart togs in larger ladies' sizes. Often pricey though as you'll know.

I'd often unpick a tatty old favourite top or whatever to make a pattern. One particular blue and white stripey sweatshirt, with cleverly inserted pockets and a hood, gave us loads of scope for new colourways and plain/patterned fabric combinations.

A good trick to get out of the sewing was to teach them to make things themselves. One mate would sew herself a batch of simple elasticated skirts each season. Must have saved her a fortune!

If you have any of your yoga pants left, no matter how worn out, a skilled seamstress could make you more of the same.

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
Reaction score
Do you sew at all? I used to make nice clothes for larger friends years ago. Haven't done it for a while, there didn't seem to be the demand as most places now do smart togs in larger ladies' sizes. Often pricey though as you'll know.

I'd often unpick a tatty old favourite top or whatever to make a pattern. One particular blue and white stripey sweatshirt, with cleverly inserted pockets and a hood, gave us loads of scope for new colourways and plain/patterned fabric combinations.

A good trick to get out of the sewing was to teach them to make things themselves. One mate would sew herself a batch of simple elasticated skirts each season. Must have saved her a fortune!

If you have any of your yoga pants left, no matter how worn out, a skilled seamstress could make you more of the same.
I can do hand-sewing repairs, buttons, even the occasional seam but that's it. I think I'm going to have to swallow my embarrassment and take my rags to a seamstress along with some nice heavy jersey fabric.

As I've aged I get some real insight into my traits, I think I have some mild AS characteristics. Unless it's for a special occasion, and limited in time I just can't bear to wear anything that feels 'wrong' (normally scratchy, stiff, starchy or tight) and when I have some item that feels 'good' then I'll wear it to death.

I find it easier for every day clothes to almost have a 'uniform'. When I travel in s. Asia I might be away for up to a couple of months but only pack 4 or 5 Indian-style trouser suits, and wear and wash them in rotation. One pair of earrings, a watch, 2 or 3 pairs of shoes/sandals and I'm more or less sorted!

Last edited:

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
I learned years ago that I’d rather be comfortable than trendy. Tshirt and jeans with runners. I don’t work in a place that I have to dress up, just presentable (I work in several group homes for adults). Even when I go to a wedding or something, I feel uncomfortable in dressier clothing, though I do have a couple of outfits.

Sollywos

Studying for finals of Grumpy Old Lady degree.
Reaction score
I learned years ago that I’d rather be comfortable than trendy. Tshirt and jeans with runners. I don’t work in a place that I have to dress up, just presentable (I work in several group homes for adults). Even when I go to a wedding or something, I feel uncomfortable in dressier clothing, though I do have a couple of outfits.
Yes that's me as well! I almost dread getting invites to posh do's. I have got some clothes to wear on such occasions but I just can't wait to get home and get them off as I feel so uncomfortable. I find woven fabrics really uncomfortable to wear. I sometimes wonder if I'd have done better at school if it wasn't for feeling constantly ill at ease in that damn uniform!

As I've aged I get some real insight into my traits, I think I have some mild AS characteristics. Unless it's for a special occasion, and limited in time I just can't bear to wear anything that feels 'wrong' (normally scratchy, stiff, starchy or tight) and when I have some item that feels 'good' then I'll wear it to death.
I understand exactly!

Sollywos x