The Whinge Thread, Resurrected

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Now that I am on the path to getting a nice new car, I find that my usual bank branch is closed. Closed until further notice.
I have to motor around tomorrow to find a branch where I can set up a money transfer.
Most branches round here are only open 10 am to 2 pm. Just ridiculous, now that shops have been released from lockdown.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
My whinge today... my next door neighbour seems to have spent most of this afternoon swearing and shouting and throwing stuff against the wall. I didn't hear a woman's voice, so I don't think it was domestic violence - rather, it sounded like he was having a rage about something.
I was quiet as a mouse, so I don't think it's me that provoked him.
Some people are just selfish. He knows I can hear his noise.
I would like to be a little wealthier, so I can buy a house that isn't joined onto another house.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
My whinge today... my next door neighbour seems to have spent most of this afternoon swearing and shouting and throwing stuff against the wall. I didn't hear a woman's voice, so I don't think it was domestic violence - rather, it sounded like he was having a rage about something.
I was quiet as a mouse, so I don't think it's me that provoked him.
Some people are just selfish. He knows I can hear his noise.
I would like to be a little wealthier, so I can buy a house that isn't joined onto another house.
If he is getting that stressed for so long he will have a stroke or heart attack. Does he smoke? That would help too.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
If he is getting that stressed for so long he will have a stroke or heart attack. Does he smoke? That would help too.
I think he's a young guy in his late 20s or early 30s. No idea about smoking.
They are quite a noisy couple, but actually not as noisy as the old boy before them (he died a while back).

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
First hangover of the year.
A new acquaintance's homemade red wine is the culprit.
Homemade red wine! What could possibly go wrong!

I probably drink more than I should (sadly, it's a family failing) but the older I get, if I do overdo it, the hangovers are things from hell, which helps prevent them. I hate wasting a whole day feeling sorry myself and looking like death!

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Homemade red wine! What could possibly go wrong!

I probably drink more than I should (sadly, it's a family failing) but the older I get, if I do overdo it, the hangovers are things from hell, which helps prevent them. I hate wasting a whole day feeling sorry myself and looking like death!
I've gone from alcohol every day in my 20s, through once a week in my 30s and into once every couple of weeks in my (early!) 40s.

My tolerance is not massively reduced, strangely, but the hangovers are even worse.

Hence, first hangover of the year in June.

I couldn't face breakfast and then needed calories for lunch: two doughnuts and a big bottle of Pepsi.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I've gone from alcohol every day in my 20s, through once a week in my 30s and into once every couple of weeks in my (early!) 40s.

My tolerance is not massively reduced, strangely, but the hangovers are even worse.

Hence, first hangover of the year in June.

I couldn't face breakfast and then needed calories for lunch: two doughnuts and a big bottle of Pepsi.
Breakfast (or lunch) of champions! Haven't had a doughnut in ages but just the mention of one makes me want one. Now!

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Breakfast (or lunch) of champions! Haven't had a doughnut in ages but just the mention of one makes me want one. Now!
I've posted something to this effect before, but my normal diet is--as far as I can tell--very healthy and I very seldom snack, but when I'm feeling run down or full-on ill, a sugar, fat and calorie binge almost always sets me up for recovery: fried eggs, slabs of fried salmon, greasy veggie burgers, bowls of chips and ketchup--heroic doses of maple syrup on pancakes--that kind of thing.

Sollywos

Studying for finals of Grumpy Old Lady degree.
Reaction score
I've posted something to this effect before, but my normal diet is--as far as I can tell--very healthy and I very seldom snack, but when I'm feeling run down or full-on ill, a sugar, fat and calorie binge almost always sets me up for recovery: fried eggs, slabs of fried salmon, greasy veggie burgers, bowls of chips and ketchup--heroic doses of maple syrup on pancakes--that kind of thing.
I'll try that next time I'm feeling ill ... I'll let you know if it works. I'll think of it as being 'Yithians patent remedy' :)

Sollywos x

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Looked out on our front lawn this morning to see a seagull (or 'gull', I really don't care) taking apart a carrier bag, in which was a leftover kebab in a polystyrene container. It wasn't there when I first went out, though there was a car parked directly in front of it. Looks like one of our neighbours had a takeaway last night, left it in the car and dumped it on our lawn. Scum!

I made it easier Jonathan Livingston, emptying the meat on the lawn before I disposed of the rest in our bin. I could have put the meat in our food waste but it's hot here so I'd rather not.

Coypu

Um 121 The element of confusion.....298.17
Reaction score
Were you thinking of Kurt Vonnegut's Breakfast of Champions..........Raw beaver..:thought:

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Rant For Today - despite the panic buying earlier in the ear, despite being told not to (which only makes people want to), despite people probably having a years supply already, people re panic buying toilet paper, hand sanitiser, soap, etc, again, because of an increase of Covid-19 cases in Australia. Haven't people learned from the last time panic buying brought out the worst behaviour?!` Shelves in the shops today are running low on essentials - it's not like we're going to run out, we provide most of our toiletries here in Australia anyway...

I know why people do this, it makes them feel like they're in control of something during a time when they're not in control of much else, it makes them feel like they're not missing out, but despite requests not to panic buy, and to behave appropriately, people ignore it all...

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Yes no toilet paper on Coles shelves today. I didn't need any, just noticed.
Actually noticed some buying trolleys full 2 Sundays ago.
I don't know where they store it all.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Yes no toilet paper on Coles shelves today. I didn't need any, just noticed.
Actually noticed some buying trolleys full 2 Sundays ago.
I don't know where they store it all.
Rant For Today - despite the panic buying earlier in the ear, despite being told not to (which only makes people want to), despite people probably having a years supply already, people re panic buying toilet paper, hand sanitiser, soap, etc, again, because of an increase of Covid-19 cases in Australia. Haven't people learned from the last time panic buying brought out the worst behaviour?!` Shelves in the shops today are running low on essentials - it's not like we're going to run out, we provide most of our toiletries here in Australia anyway...

I know why people do this, it makes them feel like they're in control of something during a time when they're not in control of much else, it makes them feel like they're not missing out, but despite requests not to panic buy, and to behave appropriately, people ignore it all...
We're seeing it here too. People are expecting a second wave of the virus and stocking up on necessities. Toilet roll sales are probably now a cast-iron indication of public fears about having to isolate again.

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
Reaction score

I heard an interview in March with someone who ran a tp factory in the US. he pointed out that in the US we source and manufacture tp at home, there is no shortage at all of the ingredient, and it is not a particularly labor-intensive process, so if some people are out sick they can cover by scheduling overtime. He became a little desperate not understanding why people were buying so much.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Yesterday I chatted with a friend* who told me he'd seen a programme about some TV chef visiting a chocolate biscuit factory.

Seems the place is running to maximum capacity as demand for the product is up by 75%!

*Jeff was walking his spaniels and I was cycling. We had a nice little talk and agreed on what a pleasant dogging spot it was!

Cochise

Never give up, never surrender
Reaction score
Does any newspaper publish, you know, NEWS any more? They all seem to be confined to increasingly shrieky opinion pieces and a lot of stuff about 'slebs' that I have never heard of. And articles on Covid that are mostly bunkum.

Sollywos

Studying for finals of Grumpy Old Lady degree.
Reaction score
Does any newspaper publish, you know, NEWS any more? They all seem to be confined to increasingly shrieky opinion pieces and a lot of stuff about 'slebs' that I have never heard of. And articles on Covid that are mostly bunkum.
Was ther EVER a time when they published news without a side order of shrieky opinion and BS about 'slebs' ? OK the corvid bit is recent can't deny that. :)

Sollywos x