The Whinge Thread, Resurrected

Cochise

Never give up, never surrender
Reaction score
Was ther EVER a time when they published news without a side order of shrieky opinion and BS about 'slebs' ? OK the corvid bit is recent can't deny that. :)

Sollywos x
Well, the heavyweights didn't used to be so bad. I used to read the Guardian until it became totally deranged in the early 2000's then switched to the Telegraph. But they all seem to be the same now. They get fixated on one person or campaign (well usually a few at once) and flog it to death. I'm not going to give instances because that would immediately go political. Nor am I considering just the last few months. I dare say you can all think of many examples over the last 10 years, selected from your own political or other interests.

I don't mind campaigns in the editorial, but for years they have invaded the so-called news items to a ridiculous degree. I wan't a paper giving me a broad coverage of actual factual items. I realise there will always be an editorial slant, for example left in the Grauniad, right in the Torygraph, that can be allowed for. But I don't want rumours, suppositions, character assassinations mixed in with some small snippet of news , it seems half the time made up anyway. . It's childish, really.

Sollywos

Studying for finals of Grumpy Old Lady degree.
Reaction score
Is it really happening more now than it ever did? Maybe you are just noticing it more because of current issues? Well, whatever, you could well be correct I gave up on MSM yonks ago.

The politics is one thing and as you rightly say we can't get into that here but the 'slebs' and the fixation on the Royals also pisses me off. Apparently it's what people want to read mmmmm well there we are then.

An old, grumpy Sollywos who nevertheless manages to retain a polite smiley faced veneer ...... er .... well mostly. x

Cochise

Reaction score
And while I'm on a roll - I hate the use of the word discrimination when what people actually mean is prejudice.

Every time we choose between two different packs of veg in a shop we discriminate.

When we choose between the Sun and the Guardian (just to tie in to the above :) ) we discriminate. Possibly because of prejudice.

It's too late to change now of course.

I wonder if somewhere in the 70's or thereabouts when the phrase changed from racial prejudice to racial discrimination they thought that 'discriminate' came from 'criminal'. As far as I know they don't but I don't have my full Oxford dictionary from say 1960 to hand. Of course they may have known it wasn't connected but decided it was a good re-branding anyway.

Last edited:

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
My whinge today... my next door neighbour seems to have spent most of this afternoon swearing and shouting and throwing stuff against the wall. I didn't hear a woman's voice, so I don't think it was domestic violence - rather, it sounded like he was having a rage about something.
I was quiet as a mouse, so I don't think it's me that provoked him.
Some people are just selfish. He knows I can hear his noise.
I would like to be a little wealthier, so I can buy a house that isn't joined onto another house.
Sounds like me when I can’t get through the next bit of Call of Duty.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
And while I'm on a roll - I hate the use of the word discrimination when what people actually mean is prejudice. ...
The difference between the two terms wasn't lost on the folks grappling with civil rights issues back when ...

"Prejudice" is the attitude motivating differential treatment of one group (race; gender; age; whatever ... ) versus another.

"Discrimination" refers to any act or protocol that enacts or enforces this differential treatment.

Cochise

Reaction score
I'm in a philosophical mood today. I've spent most of the last few days cleaning up after Stanley whose got the runs. He can't go outside because it's been too damp even when not actually raining and he mustn't get his bandage wet.

It's a side effect of his pain killers that I was warned about all along. He has not of course been clipped in ages, so the hair round his bum is filthy, I can't put him in the bath because of his bandage, and I live alone so I can't get some one to hold the bitey end while I clean the messy end. And of course because I've had to stop his medicine he is feeling a bit more pain than he has been. I've managed to clean him up a bit by wedging him between my knees with his head sticking out the back so he can't bite. But he gets distressed quite quickly so I've had a limited effect.

So, I thought I'd better warn the hospital about his state for his visit tomorrow, and the lovely people there have said they'll clean him up and maybe give him a skunk stripe up the back while they have him sedated. :twothumbs:

Life clearly never meant to let me get above myself :)

Cochise

Reaction score
The difference between the two terms wasn't lost on the folks grappling with civil rights issues back when ...

"Prejudice" is the attitude motivating differential treatment of one group (race; gender; age; whatever ... ) versus another.

"Discrimination" refers to any act or protocol that enacts or enforces this differential treatment.
My point is that discrimination also refers to situations where there is no prejudice. 'I was discriminated against because of prejudice' is of course correct. But one could be discriminated against (or for) for reasons other than prejudice. 'He makes discriminating choices of clothes' is a perfectly valid use.

Last edited:

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Reaction score
As a young teenager, I would spend Sunday leafing through the Sunday Times, and The News of the Screws while watching Brian Walden on Weekend World. Little did I know how bad things were going to get in my old age.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
My point is that discrimination also refers to situations where there is no prejudice. ...
Yes, of course ... Conversely, one can be prejudiced but never express or enact it via discriminative action.

Naughty_Felid

Antediluvian
Reaction score
And while I'm on a roll - I hate the use of the word discrimination when what people actually mean is prejudice.
Rynner - How many times have I told you not to possess other forumers? Not that you are dead obviously - "Rynner fhatagn". We await the day Rynner the Great will awaken, rise up from the salty depths, and cast down the Mods. :fhtagn::D

Last edited:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Today a YouTube channel I subscribe to and a Reddit forum I read regularly have been banned and removed from their respective platforms.

The former was pretty far-right and the latter was pretty far-left. I don't agree with much of what either group believes, but clearly a lot of people do, and I was genuinely curious as to what their communities were saying, thinking and doing. Both were 'serious' commentary, regardless of whether one accepts their ideologies and conclusions.

I really don't like being told what is or is not suitable for me.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Today a YouTube channel I subscribe to and a Reddit forum I read regularly have been banned and removed from their respective platforms.

The former was pretty far-right and the latter was pretty far-left. I don't agree with much of what either group believes, but clearly a lot of people do, and I was genuinely curious as to what their communities were saying, thinking and doing. Both were 'serious' commentary, regardless of whether one accepts their ideologies and conclusions.

I really don't like being told what is or is not suitable for me.
Another Reddit Forum defending Women's and LGB Rights has also been banned. More than annoying.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Ive always tried to stay away from politics but these days I see so much slating of people I was brought up to respect.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I've had a Yahoo email address for decades, but as of a day or so ago it has started giving desktop notifications of emails – a function I REALLY, REALLY DON'T FLIPPIN' WANT. So, I follow the instructions on how to turn it off, and do so (there are only two settings) and it makes no difference. And I have Safari set up to block all notifications, including Yahoo Mail. No joy. It's bloody annoying. Really bloody annoying. I don't want it but Yahoo makes it impossible for me to stop it. Bastards!