The Whinge Thread, Resurrected

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Went out to check the new seedlings that had come up in one of the pots. Confounded snails have eaten them all except 2 small ones which I've covered with plastic cut down bottles now.
Why don't they eat the many weeds that keep coming up?

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
Do we have something on the perverse behaviour of ropes, string, and cables of all sorts? I'm trying to keep my Saab Aero standard in appearance - that is, I don't want, among other things, to tear out the stereo for a modern one, especially because it interacts with other displays in the car. So I have a couple of trailing leads from USB chargers to power my phone, Bluetooth and hands free.

I carefully coil these cables out of the way when not needed and place them in a convenient pouch that Saab provided in the passenger footwell. So why the French Connection is it that whenever I retrieve said cables they are not only entwined with themselves, they are also cross-tangled one to another?

This is hardly a new problem - Jerome K. Jerome devoted several paragraphs to it in 'Three men in a boat'.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Do we have something on the perverse behaviour of ropes, string, and cables of all sorts? ...
Just for the record - no, we don't ... Most of the forum discussions addressing tangles concern (e.g.) rat- and squirrel-kings.

So why the French Connection is it that whenever I retrieve said cables they are not only entwined with themselves, they are also cross-tangled one to another?
This is hardly a new problem - Jerome K. Jerome devoted several paragraphs to it in 'Three men in a boat'.
I'm familiar with the effect. I've always attributed it to wires in the cables flexing in unpredictable ways - especially when spiraling coaxial wires are involved.

I don't know of any advice better than Shady's - if you want 'em to stay just so, you have to clip or bind them in the intended arrangement.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Cables and ropes and snakes are good at that.

coil them up correctly and put them away...and they come out in a mares nest.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Do we have something on the perverse behaviour of ropes, string, and cables of all sorts? I'm trying to keep my Saab Aero standard in appearance - that is, I don't want, among other things, to tear out the stereo for a modern one, especially because it interacts with other displays in the car. So I have a couple of trailing leads from USB chargers to power my phone, Bluetooth and hands free.

I carefully coil these cables out of the way when not needed and place them in a convenient pouch that Saab provided in the passenger footwell. So why the French Connection is it that whenever I retrieve said cables they are not only entwined with themselves, they are also cross-tangled one to another?

Jerome K Jerome was so right!

The trick is to know this will happen and to prepare for it.
Winding a cable into a loop and securing it with an elastic band works. The secret of that method is that you are introducing a chaperone rather than relying on the cable to behave itself.

As a kid I was once sent to deliver a box of assorted sewing threads. I saw the threads placed into the box and was warned that they would tangle up. Yeah, right.
I carried them carefully straight to where they were going, careful not to shake the box, and an hour later saw them taken out all hopelessly ravelled up like a badly knitted sweater.

A couple of years later when I read Three Men I instantly recognised the tangling incident. Was there NOTHING that man didn't know about?