The Whinge Thread, Resurrected

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
This is such a minor whinge that I feel slightly embarrassed but...

does anyone else find the use of 'Forums' at the top of the page every so slightly annoying? I know that 'Fora' sounds daft and pretentious and even looks like 'Flora' at a glance which is no use to anyone unless your name is Flora or you are looking for unusual plants. But every time I open the page and see 'forums' my teeth just give an involuntary clench.

Slap me someone, please (only gently, I'm cold).
I have a feeling it is down to the way host of the domain organises things so we had no choice when the url was set up. I think.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
The term 'forum' is hard-wired into XenForo to denote a key structural component of the site architecture, and the plural form 'forums' is similarly hard-wired into the labeling of the organizational structure. You see the tab labeled 'Forums' in the site's page header because it's the prescribed label for one of two top-level schemata for displaying the current state of the site's content.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Reheat pasta insufficiently - eat pasta - suffer terrible indigestion. Nobody to blame but myself, maybe I should have put the meal in the oven. Or the bin.
Reminds me of when i waa in Peru, i had just walked the Inca Trail, spending 4 days living off of food carried and cooked by our wonderful team of porters, drinking water obtained from streams and streiluzed with Iodine, we reached Aqua Calientes, at the foot of Machu Pichu, our guide took us for a meal at a new, posh pizza restaurant, that night i woke with severe food poisoning and was incapacitated for 3 days, i truely felt like i was going to die, just goes to show, you can get food poisoning anywhere.

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
The term 'forum' is hard-wired into XenForo to denote a key structural component of the site architecture, and the plural form 'forums' is similarly hard-wired into the labeling of the organizational structure. You see the tab labeled 'Forums' in the site's page header because it's the prescribed label for one of two top-level schemata for displaying the current state of the site's content.
That’s what I was trying to say!

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I've just checked the website associated with my magazine, the one advertising the position, and I don't think they can argue with my experience as an online writer – the website lists 24 articles and 368 reviews under my name. Not too shabby.

I do have to find out whether one of the website's writers has recently left and that they're filling a new position, in which case I'd have no legal case.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
I've just checked the website associated with my magazine, the one advertising the position, and I don't think they can argue with my experience as an online writer – the website lists 24 articles and 368 reviews under my name. Not too shabby.

I do have to find out whether one of the website's writers has recently left and that they're filling a new position, in which case I'd have no legal case.
Just don't be surprised if you never hear from them again. Any hint that it may be an 'ageism' thing? I know it's illegal to specify age in job ads, but it's easy enough to weed out when people apply and just never interview anyone from the 'undesirable' end of the spectrum. And it's almost impossible to prove that that is what they are doing, unless you know all the other applicants.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
Weeell, maybe realist! The trouble is, the internet gets flooded with so many hot takes so the, er, hot taker can be acknowledged that you get a plethora of over the top, re-goddamned-diculous opinions flying around, massive contrarianism, outrage about stuff that doesn't matter that much, and it gets exhausting. Not even knowing your stuff is a guarantee anyone wants to hear from you. Maybe it'll settle down. Hope so.
It's exactly the same in publishing. The market is flooded with an awful lot of unedited hogwash - just writing 70,000 consecutive words does not mean you've written a book! Now anyone can 'write a book' and publish it themselves on Amazon, the properly edited stuff is just background noise. People want free or very cheap books - they don't care that some of us are trying to make a living out of writing.

Case in point. My recent release went 'free' for a week as my publisher is trying to drum up custom for my new book (released 16 March, thank you for asking). It flew off the (Amazon) shelves and went to the top of its categories. Price it at £1.99 and I'm lucky to edge in to the top 1,000.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Just don't be surprised if you never hear from them again. Any hint that it may be an 'ageism' thing? I know it's illegal to specify age in job ads, but it's easy enough to weed out when people apply and just never interview anyone from the 'undesirable' end of the spectrum. And it's almost impossible to prove that that is what they are doing, unless you know all the other applicants.
I'm pretty sure that age is a part of it – me and the colleague laid off at the same time were the two eldest in the division. And I've just had it confirmed that this is a new position as nobody has left since my redundancy. At worst this could make it illegal, at best it's bad form – the head of the division informed me on November 17th that there was no money for a post and that wasn't likely to change, hence their refusal to refurlough me, which it turns out would have been for a period of just eight weeks or so.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that age is a part of it – me and the colleague laid off at the same time were the two eldest in the division. And I've just had it confirmed that this is a new position as nobody has left since my redundancy. At worst this could make it illegal, at best it's bad form – the head of the division informed me on November 17th that there was no money for a post and that wasn't likely to change, hence their refusal to refurlough me, which it turns out would have been for a period of just eight weeks or so.
We need a 'furious' reaction.

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
my copy of cyber city oedo was likely stolen it was scanned as delivered at 9.23 last night and hope post man who has it chokes...
(a brief rendition of The Girl From Ipanema by the Pasadena Roof Orchestra)
....and I had to buy another copy of it and Royal Mail are a joke I couldn't get through to customer service.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
Thanks, hope you get your money returned to you

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
Crisps you can't get any more.

Chipmunk OXO

Tomato Sauce flavour (can't remember who made them). Bovril Ditto

KP Beef

Golden Wonder original ready salted - best baked crisps ever. If I have modern inferior substitutes I sprinkle either garlic powder or Worcester Sauce on them.

No-one seems to make decent Cheese and Onion any more either. Walker's are awful. Their Salt and Vinegar and Marmite are OK though.

Also (not crisps) Dad's Cookies.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Desolation is all I see
Reaction score

Chipmunk OXO

KP Beef

Golden Wonder original ready salted - best baked crisps ever. If I have modern inferior substitutes I sprinkle either garlic powder or Worcester Sauce on them.

No-one seems to make decent Cheese and Onion any more either. Walker's are awful. Their Salt and Vinegar and Marmite are OK though.

A lot of good flavours/varieties of foods have gone by the wayside, haven't they? I still live in hope of them resurrecting Tomato and Herb flavour Super Noodles.

You can get Golden Wonder Tomato Sauce flavour crisps, they are lovely :) Golden Wonder cheese and onion are also nice too, have you tried them? I'm not a huge cheese and onion crisp fan (oddly, considering I love cheese!) but if I fancy them it's always Golden Wonder definitely.

We've also just discovered Mackie's Salt and Vinegar crisps - they are divine, the crunchiest crisps I've ever tasted. :joyf:

Also have you tried Seabrook? They make nice crisps.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

Chipmunk OXO

KP Beef

Cheese and onion hula hoops are good

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Similar to the Hedgehog crisps, there was a company selling Welsh Dragon flavoured crisps - or maybe it was a Welsh company selling dragon crisps. Either way they were legally required to put a disclaimer on the packets to say the crisps were not made from dragons. You just couldn't make it up (unless it was).

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Last Christmas there were sprout flavour crisps. This Christmas there weren't.

Which tells us all we need to know about sprout flavoured crisps, I think.
I was given a gin bauble set with different flavours. One was sprout.

I like gin and I like sprouts but that needed a LOT of tonic.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
OK then, who else remembers 'drinking yogurt'? Like thin fruity yogurt in a tumbler.
They didn't last long. These days we'd call them a smoothie.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
I miss Marmite crisps. We used to sell them in the shop and now they are only in the big supermarkets. Sigh.

In other whinge-news, I've just had my three day break curtailed by my manager shoving a shift change in on Tuesday. So now, instead of having three days off, Mon Tue Wed, with work on Fri and Sat, I'm working Tues, Thurs, Sun. Oh well.