The Whinge Thread, Resurrected

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I put a load of washing on to do whilst I was out running. I put it on just before I went out, which was twelve o clock.

It is still washing. Two hours later. It's only a load of bedding in at 60, and the same wash last week only took an hour. It's going to be dark before this thing finishes (and do NOT get me started on the days drawing in...)
I've had this before. Ours is quite an old machine and I think I perhaps hadn't turned the dial to the exact correct place.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
My machine is fairly old, but I leave the dial set to the same place and just change the temperature with buttons. It is, for the record, STILL GOING, over two and a half hours later. I can hear it spinning though, so any minute now I can hang it out, with about an hour of daylight left....

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
My machine is fairly old, but I leave the dial set to the same place and just change the temperature with buttons. It is, for the record, STILL GOING, over two and a half hours later. I can hear it spinning though, so any minute now I can hang it out, with about an hour of daylight left....
Ah. When ours did it once (or twice) I ended up turning it off manually.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Don't forget- if it's not dirty, wash at 30°!

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
Finally finally hung out the washing. Two hours and forty minutes after putting it on to wash...

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I put a load of washing on to do whilst I was out running. I put it on just before I went out, which was twelve o clock.

It is still washing. Two hours later. It's only a load of bedding in at 60, and the same wash last week only took an hour. It's going to be dark before this thing finishes (and do NOT get me started on the days drawing in...)
I've had this before. What I did was stop the machine and unplug it for a bit to let it reset, and then start it on a spin cycle.
When it finishes that I try the wash cycle again.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I went over to collect my household garbage bin and had taken a couple of extra things for the recycle bin. When I opened it some pain of a neighbour had put general rubbish and plastic bags inside.
Spent some time fishing out cigarette packets, containers of half eaten fast food, tissues, masks etc to put into my once empty household bin as you can be fined for messing up a load of recyclables.
They had thrown out a metal asian type soup spoon so I have washed and disinfected it and will use it for my plant food.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Baguettes. I'm sure that there are places here that do sell authentic French-style baguettes, but I've never come across them.
When a proper baguette is cut open it should be very 'aeriated' like the inside of a ciabatta (which actually were created in response to the popularity of French baguettes), and not what the ones here are like, which is just a solid mass of tasteless dough.
I have stopped buying these imposters and use ciabatta instead. (And don't get me started on the wrong use of the word 'panini').

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
I went over to collect my household garbage bin and had taken a couple of extra things for the recycle bin. When I opened it some pain of a neighbour had put general rubbish and plastic bags inside.
Spent some time fishing out cigarette packets, containers of half eaten fast food, tissues, masks etc to put into my once empty household bin as you can be fined for messing up a load of recyclables.
They had thrown out a metal asian type soup spoon so I have washed and disinfected it and will use it for my plant food.
As there's no place to keep my bin but on the street I was having a lot of trouble with people using it and dumping all sorts of stuff in it - medical waste from a care home, carpets, microwaves - all sorts of junk. Not only that but once the bin was full the local gulls would go to work on it. I bought a clamp to keep it closed and it's worked a treat. Can't remember the make I bought but it was from Amazon and I did have to get a new padlock as the one supplied rusted within a couple of weeks!

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
l think we have a contender for the annual FTMB “Worst First-World Issue”.

maximus otter
Damn right! And; light bulbs that don't last 5 minutes, loo rolls that are stuck down with industrial strength glue and potholes that no one can seem to fix permanently anymore......

Bigphoot2

Reaction score
A thing that’s really getting on my nerves at the moment is in documentaries when someone is talking to the camera and they keep cutting to different angles of the person talking. First, they will be facing the camera which seems the normal thing to do if you are talking to someone. Then suddenly, in mid-sentence, we’ll see them in profile, then in profile from the other side, then back to face-on, then profile from a low angle and maybe throw in a long shot that includes the crew and equipment.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Baguettes. I'm sure that there are places here that do sell authentic French-style baguettes, but I've never come across them.
When a proper baguette is cut open it should be very 'aeriated' like the inside of a ciabatta (which actually were created in response to the popularity of French baguettes), and not what the ones here are like, which is just a solid mass of tasteless dough.
I have stopped buying these imposters and use ciabatta instead. (And don't get me started on the wrong use of the word 'panini').
Make friends with someone who works at a Subway and you'll get what you want, they don't officially sell just the baguettes (I used to get people asking), they have a 2 day lifespan before they're chucked in the bin .. everything has a 2 day life span at Subway) and IMO they're still better than those too doughy ones that every one else sells. Subway baguettes stay springy and 'aeiriated' for longer because they're full of sugar (the same as McDonald's Big Mac buns) so not the healthy option they pretend to be.

Frozen Subway baguettes are placed 5 a tray on silicone shaped mats on metal trays at about 8:00 each morning but kept in the walk in freezer in a cabinet on wheels called a 'retarder'. I'm not making that up. After the morning shift staff go home around 2:30 pm, the takeover staff have to take the still frozen baguettes out of the freezer at 5pm then wheel the retarder into the walk in fridge. The yeast plays up if you get the timing wrong.

At 8:30 the next morning, the bread is no longer frozen but ready for action so gets wheeled back out of the walk in fridge to your work area. Step 1, ensure your oven is already heated to 180 .. Step 2 is to use a prepped bottle of water, the same type as a plant sprayer you'd get from a garden centre and you liberally spray those bad boys. (toppings like seeds can be added by rolling them in seeds for example at this stage). Step 3, cook them for about 45 minutes but keep looking at them because it's an art form. Then you get your golden but fluffy baguettes.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
- Accidentally dripping aioli on your Kindle…

maximus otter
Do you know, there is a deli/cafe here which has a sign outside proclaiming to sell 'panini's' ? So 'sandwiches sandwiches' then. And supermarkets insist on saying that the bread, for that's what it is, is actually a 'sandwich'. I've never known a sandwich to have nothing inbetween the pieces of bread. Call it ciabatta (for it's about the same) but not 'panini'.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Do you know, there is a deli/cafe here which has a sign outside proclaiming to sell 'panini's' ? So 'sandwiches sandwiches' then. And supermarkets insist on saying that the bread, for that's what it is, is actually a 'sandwich'. I've never known a sandwich to have nothing inbetween the pieces of bread. Call it ciabatta (for it's about the same) but not 'panini'.

giphy.gif

maximus otter

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A thing that’s really getting on my nerves at the moment is in documentaries when someone is talking to the camera and they keep cutting to different angles of the person talking. First, they will be facing the camera which seems the normal thing to do if you are talking to someone. Then suddenly, in mid-sentence, we’ll see them in profile, then in profile from the other side, then back to face-on, then profile from a low angle and maybe throw in a long shot that includes the crew and equipment.
This has been driving me mad for years now! I have posted on here about it somewhere. I have asked the BBC and others why they do this and why people being interviewed no longer look at the camera but to the side and why they insist on the 'shaky camera' nonesense. Years ago when I first wrote to them about it, they tried to fob me off with some b/s about 'the wind blowing the camera' (I kid you not). When I pointed out that it even happens in studios they eventually admitted that they do it to add 'tension and excitement'. I asked why this was needed in a cookery programme or a serious documentary. They even admitted that 'lots of people don't like it'. Unbelievable.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Make friends with someone who works at a Subway and you'll get what you want, they don't officially sell just the baguettes (I used to get people asking), they have a 2 day lifespan before they're chucked in the bin .. everything has a 2 day life span at Subway) and IMO they're still better than those too doughy ones that every one else sells. Subway baguettes stay springy and 'aeiriated' for longer because they're full of sugar (the same as McDonald's Big Mac buns) so not the healthy option they pretend to be.

Frozen Subway baguettes are placed 5 a tray on silicone shaped mats on metal trays at about 8:00 each morning but kept in the walk in freezer in a cabinet on wheels called a 'retarder'. I'm not making that up. After the morning shift staff go home around 2:30 pm, the takeover staff have to take the still frozen baguettes out of the freezer at 5pm then wheel the retarder into the walk in fridge. The yeast plays up if you get the timing wrong.

At 8:30 the next morning, the bread is no longer frozen but ready for action so gets wheeled back out of the walk in fridge to your work area. Step 1, ensure your oven is already heated to 180 .. Step 2 is to use a prepped bottle of water, the same type as a plant sprayer you'd get from a garden centre and you liberally spray those bad boys. (toppings like seeds can be added by rolling them in seeds for example at this stage). Step 3, cook them for about 45 minutes but keep looking at them because it's an art form. Then you get your golden but fluffy baguettes.
Authentic French Baguettes and I would think ciabatta as well, use steam to get the proper texture .

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
In fact, I have had to stop watching a lot of documentaries that I would otherwise be interested in due to this. Apart from the general pointlessness of it, I started getting eyeache and feeling queezy from it. I have just asked MrsF how long this has been driving me mad and she reckons at least 6 -7years now.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
This has been driving me mad for years now! I have posted on here about it somewhere. I have asked the BBC and others why they do this and why people being interviewed no longer look at the camera but to the side and why they insist on the 'shaky camera' nonesense. Years ago when I first wrote to them about it, they tried to fob me off with some b/s about 'the wind blowing the camera' (I kid you not). When I pointed out that it even happens in studios they eventually admitted that they do it to add 'tension and excitement'. I asked why this was needed in a cookery programme or a serious documentary. They even admitted that 'lots of people don't like it'. Unbelievable.

The frequent cutting from view to view is because today’s audience, used to constant, varied stimulation, becomes bored with an image after - IIRC - 8 seconds.

maximus otter

Bigphoot2

Reaction score
In fact, I have had to stop watching a lot of documentaries that I would otherwise be interested in due to this. Apart from the general pointlessness of it, I started getting eyeache and feeling queezy from it. I have just asked MrsF how long this has been driving me mad and she reckons at least 6 -7years now.
I tried to watch Man V's History on the History Channel last night and gave up because of all the jumping about.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The frequent cutting from view to view is because today’s audience, used to constant, varied stimulation, becomes bored with an image after - IIRC - 8 seconds.

maximus otter
I suspect that that may well be true, certainly on some 'reality' rubbish, but why do it on serious documentaries? I wish I'd kept all the emails from the BBC about this. Their b/s was unbelievable.

Swifty

Reaction score
Authentic French Baguettes and I would think ciabatta as well, use steam to get the proper texture .
I've never cooked an authentic French baguette, I think Subway use the water bottle sprayer technique in the same way to achieve a similar effect. The sugar manufactured into the bread is probably their industry technique for pure timing. After 2 days, Subway's baguettes are still good enough for me but the way senior management can test them is to scrape their thumb nail across the end of them .. if dust crumbles off? .. they don't pass the test.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I tried to watch Man V's History on the History Channel last night and gave up because of all the jumping about.
When I posted about this on here when I first joined a couple of years ago, someone said that it all started with the American series 'Law and Order'. I remember that I could not watch that due to the shaky camera/jumping about rubbish. At least Sam Mendes didn't do it with the two Bond films he directed (maybe there was a bit here and there), but this is why I cannot watch a lot of films now, let alone documentaries.

Swifty

Reaction score
When I posted about this on here when I first joined a couple of years ago, someone said that it all started with the American series 'Law and Order'. I remember that I could not watch that due to the shaky camera/jumping about rubbish. At least Sam Mendes didn't do it with the two Bond films he directed (maybe there was a bit here and there), but this is why I cannot watch a lot of films now, let alone documentaries.
I watched an episode of the 70's Tails Of The Unexpected UK TV show last night only to watch the credits to learn that Dean Cundy directed the episode .. Dead f****ng Cundy! .. main camera man for everything from the HALOWEEN films, The Thing, Escape From New York to Jurassic Park and beyond. He's shit at making baguettes though.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Found it. It starts on here at page 177 and it was GNC who suggested that it was NYPD Blue who are to blame for it all. B*******S.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
As there's no place to keep my bin but on the street I was having a lot of trouble with people using it and dumping all sorts of stuff in it - medical waste from a care home, carpets, microwaves - all sorts of junk. Not only that but once the bin was full the local gulls would go to work on it. I bought a clamp to keep it closed and it's worked a treat. Can't remember the make I bought but it was from Amazon and I did have to get a new padlock as the one supplied rusted within a couple of weeks!
We can't use clamps or locks on ours because they just hav a big truck with an arm that picks up the bin and tips it in.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
We can't use clamps or locks on ours because they just hav a big truck with an arm that picks up the bin and tips it in.
You unlock it just before they arrive?