The Whinge Thread, Resurrected

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
An otter has eaten my goldfish. We all love wildlife and it’s great that otters are expanding their range BUT did it have to eat them all. Especially as we live next to the canal and it is stiff with carp. :glum:My lovely neighbours gave me some of their ‘spare’ fish and it promptly came back the next night and ate most of those.So I’m giving up on goldfish in the pond. I don’t want Fort Knox in the garden. We did have a previous occurrence about two years ago but it’s been twice in one week.
I once carefully set up a decktop pond in a wooden tub with pretty stones, water lilies, and a few small carp. It was fun until the racoons found them a few days later, ate the carp and messed up the plantings, creating mud. I cleaned up the pond and decided to do without carp. But they came back several times a week checking to see if the frig had been refilled so I gave up on the pond.

JaneD

JaneD
Reaction score
I once carefully set up a decktop pond in a wooden tub with pretty stones, water lilies, and a few small carp. It was fun until the racoons found them a few days later, ate the carp and messed up the plantings, creating mud. I cleaned up the pond and decided to do without carp. But they came back several times a week checking to see if the frig had been refilled so I gave up on the pond.
It must be like a McDonalds opening up the road for them, from their point of view

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Caught in flagrante on the naturecam so it’s an otter. There is netting on the pond to keep the leaves out of it at the moment but it just slipped underneath. It now has bricks, netting and chicken wire, but I don’t really want to look out of the window at Fort Knox so i am going to give in. The fish can go on holiday to the allotment pond (well away from the canal) and i will stick with frogs

Otters eat frogs, too.

maximus otter

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
I gather they eat them when fish are ‘scarce’. Well they can sod off to the canal and stuff their face with carp.

Carp swimming about freely in a canal = difficult prey.

Fish ‘n frogs confined in a small pond = easy prey.

Nature is lazy energy-efficient, as well as having no pity.

maximus otter

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
I've had this before. What I did was stop the machine and unplug it for a bit to let it reset, and then start it on a spin cycle.
When it finishes that I try the wash cycle again.
I had actually run a spin cycle just before I put the load in, and I wonder if that got its knickers in a twist. However, I tried another load yesterday at 40 degrees (I try to only run the washing machine once a week if possible), and that took over two hours too. So I'm going to try unplugging it, as you suggested, to see if that resets it, because over two hours to do a load is ridiculous! I could take it to the river and bang it on a rock and be back in less time.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I had actually run a spin cycle just before I put the load in, and I wonder if that got its knickers in a twist. However, I tried another load yesterday at 40 degrees (I try to only run the washing machine once a week if possible), and that took over two hours too. So I'm going to try unplugging it, as you suggested, to see if that resets it, because over two hours to do a load is ridiculous! I could take it to the river and bang it on a rock and be back in less time.
My current machine has to have the switch in the 'off' position before I can start a new programme.

So if it hasn't spun well enough, I turn the switch to 'off' and then close it and select the 'spin' programme to set it off again.
In between I sometimes unplug it just to make sure.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
My current machine has to have the switch in the 'off' position before I can start a new programme.

So if it hasn't spun well enough, I turn the switch to 'off' and then close it and select the 'spin' programme to set it off again.
In between I sometimes unplug it just to make sure.
My washing machine must be around twelve years old. It's got lots of settings, but I just leave the dial set at 'quick wash' and with the buttons I can adjust the temperature and spin speed (yeah, because I'm frequently going to want my washing spun to 'really quite soggy', so this is permanently left on max speed.

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
Why do washing machines have all the wash options? I usually have it on "regular" and if I wash a comforter or something similarly bulky I set it to "bulky". I think mine has about 7 different options, along with "extra rinse".

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
Reaction score
Laundry symbols:

laundry.jpg
And the translation
Laundry-Symbols.jpg

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
I put a load of washing on to do whilst I was out running. I put it on just before I went out, which was twelve o clock.

It is still washing. Two hours later.

Rings a bell. I think this may be heat-related. My Washer-Dryer plays up, after I have used the Dryer. It will then stick on the early phase of a new wash, filling and emptying over and over again. Nudging the thing on manually brings on a weird tantrum when it will click around the dial and settle on nothing.

Turning it off to reset itself does not always work either.

I am reconciled to the fact that the machine is pretty old now and has been, otherwise, trouble-free. At least she* is forgetful and not incontinent, like my last washer! :nods:

Edit, footnote added 12.25 am.

*Her name is Margherita! Says so on the front. Hispanic, female and redolent of alcohol. What were they thinking! o_O

Last edited:

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
Why do washing machines have all the wash options? I usually have it on "regular" and if I wash a comforter or something similarly bulky I set it to "bulky". I think mine has about 7 different options, along with "extra rinse".
I've complained before about this need to over-complicate things in washing machines. Where is the basic 'hot wash, medium wash, spin it till it's dry enough to hang out' machine? For all those complicated wool, silk, cold wash, low spin items - I wash them by hand, in the sink. Everything else I want either boil washed or washed at 40, and spun. I really don't need fifty choices of temperature, I don't need a 'toddler clothing' selection (boil it) or a 'sports wash' selection (boil it) or a 'delicates' one (either 40 degrees or I'll wash it myself). As for low spin speed - do not get me started...

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
When I was travelling in India years ago that's how my clothes got washed - the clothing came back really clean but felt thinner as if it had been bashed within an inch of its life!

And when I was travelling in Cambodia and Laos a decade ago the little laundries there charged a US dollar or two a bag and they did a great job; even the Lycra cycling kit came back perfect, and I doubt they get to wash that too often. It made travelling there a breeze.

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
How about someone writes some detective stories where the detective isn't weird? You know doesn't have a missing limb, or an unusually large head,, or a cocaine habit, or (the latest that started this rant) a brain tumor.

Also preferably should not be hiding some terrible secret from the past, or be avenging his sister's murder, or be a reformed alcoholic. Or a secret serial killer - looking at you, Dexter. Or quirkily foreign. Not suffering PTSD from WW2/the Falklands/SAS training.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
How about someone writes some detective stories where the detective isn't weird? You know doesn't have a missing limb, or an unusually large head,, or a cocaine habit, or (the latest that started this rant) a brain tumor.

Also preferably should not be hiding some terrible secret from the past, or be avenging his sister's murder, or be a reformed alcoholic. Or a secret serial killer - looking at you, Dexter. Or quirkily foreign. Not suffering PTSD from WW2/the Falklands/SAS training.
Funny you should say that - I just started reading a Michael Collins novel, whose detective Dan Fortune is missing an arm.

Michael Z Lewin has a homeless detective; I think I've read a novel featuring a blind detective. I like the idea of detective with a massive head, though. I might run with that...

My related gripe is character names. Endeavour Morse*?; Cormoran Strike (one leg and a stupid name, probably the most stupid name); Hieronymous Bosch (Michael Connelly); Charlie Parker (John Connolly).

* The TV show Endeavour is a shocker for it. I give you: Thursday, Strange, Bright, Fancy, Trewlove, Calendar, Nero, Grenouille, Frazil...

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Did a Media course as part of a criminology degree, looking at the structures of police procedure/crime thrillers etc. Highly enjoyable.

Detectives have to be flawed to show their genius and dedication.

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
There are also health food / fitness freaks, several members of the aristocracy, an endless sequence of 'independent women' who mostly aren't (kudos to the few that are, Dora Myrl is I think one of the first, although even she ends up married to another 'tec), wheelchair detectives (Ironside) - it goes on and on.

And it's tiresome, especially when its obvious the author only remembers their particular character's quirk about twice a story, and then inserts it in about as subtle a way as an icepick to the brain.

OK, off rant. Will go and make a cuppa and calm down.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Took my main sewing machine in for a service last week. The bloke rang me this morning with the bad news that it's pretty much knackered.
They can fix it but for another £50/60 I could have a new basic one and for another £150 on top of that I might be tempted by one of the super-duper self-basting models...

Had a look online and noticed that none of the new machines offers anything mine doesn't; well, I can already do all the jobs they do without a special function. Experience, y'know.

The next step up is a computerised one for doing complicated machine embroidery. Naaah.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
AAAAAAAAARGH!

just heard from the bike insurers that the van that reversed over the scrambler has denied their claim and is saying that they were hit at speed and have neck and shoulder injuries.

Immoral shits.
Any news Frides?

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Reaction score
Any news Frides?

Our insurance company asked for our reaction. In very measured words (not given below!) we have said that

* they are lying cheating bastards trying to turn a quick buck.

* we don't see why we or the insurance company should abet this illegal activity by paying.

* between us we have 93 years of biking experience. We offer the following points as to why it was a low impact collision and that the bike was originally stationary and being paddled backwards as fast as possible when the vehicles touched, in the hope that this will offer further data to the investigator.

The investigator has been in touch. The email reply in its entirety

"Lovely! that is excellent!"

At least we will go down fighting :pitch:

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Reaction score
WooHOO! yes, I know this is an unwhinge. Just heard from our insurance company's fraud department. They have a policy of not letting these things go and will be disputing cause and liability :)

She was very complimentary about our evidence and the way it all ties in so perfectly with our photos and is consistent over the various interviews and so one.

Go Insurance Company! Go Us!

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
WooHOO! yes, I know this is an unwhinge. Just heard from our insurance company's fraud department. They have a policy of not letting these things go and will be disputing cause and liability :)

She was very complimentary about our evidence and the way it all ties in so perfectly with our photos and is consistent over the various interviews and so one.

Go Insurance Company! Go Us!
Can you get a prison sentence for doing what they have done? I really hope so.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
We once had the opposite experience.

I drove Techy's car over to visit my old dear in her sheltered housing complex. While on the car park it suffered a prang that dented and scrawped a rear wing. The owners of the car that hit it came out to tell me about it when I left and admitted full liability.

The damaged car was a disgusting wreck that I sincerely hated and which I didn't believe a spot of cosmetic damage could possibly devalue. The door still worked and if anything the marks added character.

So I told the couple to forget about it and they'd hear no more.

Techy wasn't pleased but I pointed out that I'd've been ashamed to take the couple's money to fix that disgraceful banger, much less show my face at a garage with it. :chuckle:

Back then I didn't know that the husband had cancer. He died a couple of months later.
At least I didn't help him on his way.
:wink2:

This was about 6 or more years ago and Techy only scrapped the car this last spring.
He sometimes dreams it's come back and is parked outside.
Like Christine. :omg:

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
How about someone writes some detective stories where the detective isn't weird? You know doesn't have...an unusually large head,,
I would love to read about a detective with a huge head. Even better, they could make a film and have William H Macy or Kurtwood Smith playing him.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
We once had the opposite experience.

I drove Techy's car over to visit my old dear in her sheltered housing complex. While on the car park it suffered a prang that dented and scrawped a rear wing. The owners of the car that hit it came out to tell me about it when I left and admitted full liability.

The damaged car was a disgusting wreck that I sincerely hated and which I didn't believe a spot of cosmetic damage could possibly devalue. The door still worked and if anything the marks added character.

So I told the couple to forget about it and they'd hear no more.

Techy wasn't pleased but I pointed out that I'd've been ashamed to take the couple's money to fix that disgraceful banger, much less show my face at a garage with it. :chuckle:

Back then I didn't know that the husband had cancer. He died a couple of months later.
At least I didn't help him on his way.
:wink2:

This was about 6 or more years ago and Techy only scrapped the car this last spring.
He sometimes dreams it's come back and is parked outside.
Like Christine. :omg:
A lady pulled out and hit my old car side on when I was driving down our village street. She was horrified, apologetic and rather scared. I just laughed and pointed out the dent on the opposite side that I'd done hitting a wheelie bin and told her not to worry. That car was a wreck, but it kept on going.

It was a Suzuki Wagon, which once took me, my partner, two kids, two dogs and a lot of luggage from Yorkshire to the Isle of Mull and back. I was very fond of it, but not particularly proud of its appearance.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
A lady pulled out and hit my old car side on when I was driving down our village street. She was horrified, apologetic and rather scared. I just laughed and pointed out the dent on the opposite side that I'd done hitting a wheelie bin and told her not to worry. That car was a wreck, but it kept on going.

It was a Suzuki Wagon, which once took me, my partner, two kids, two dogs and a lot of luggage from Yorkshire to the Isle of Mull and back. I was very fond of it, but not particularly proud of its appearance.
It's just a car innit.

Someone once backed a car down their own drive, shot across the road and t-boned my little Renault that was parked outside my brother's house. She was tearful apologetic.

A month or so before my family had suffered a truly dreadful bereavement so nobody was bothered about a car.

We just shrugged. Bro got his claw hammer, prised the driver side doors open and checked the catches still worked, and that was it.

I really would not like to be in a position where I needed to worry about a scratched or dented car.