The Whinge Thread, Resurrected

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
How about someone writes some detective stories where the detective isn't weird? You know doesn't have a missing limb, or an unusually large head,, or a cocaine habit, or (the latest that started this rant) a brain tumor.

Also preferably should not be hiding some terrible secret from the past, or be avenging his sister's murder, or be a reformed alcoholic. Or a secret serial killer - looking at you, Dexter. Or quirkily foreign. Not suffering PTSD from WW2/the Falklands/SAS training.
I'm a great fan of detective stories and there are plenty of characters who are more or less normal, but my database is very old - Ngaio Marsh, Phoebe Atwood Taylor, Josephine Tey. I find most of the modern ones really badly written.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Today's latest whinge: I had something stuck between two back teeth so went at it with the floss, which got jammed.
After half an hour of pushing and pulling I decided to try grilling the floss with pliers.

Looked in the mirror, opened wide and went for it.
Took a couple of goes before it came free. I've somehow given myself a fat lip like a brawler. :rolleyes:

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
All the best with that - and Dentek Floss Picks are your friend here as in my experience they never get jammed. (And they're now biodegradable!)

https://www.boots.com/dentek-complete-clean-y-floss-picks-75-picks-10143398

My teeth - or more correctly my gums - are an area of ongoing and costly concern. I had a spell of a decade without seeing a dentist, knowing that my dental hygiene was very good.

And even after that decade-long hiatus all was well for a few years. Then, and possibly related to stress, which can be a factor in gum disease, I started to develop gum issues. I now have to take fanatical care of my teeth or, more especially, my gums.

My visits to the hygienist can resemble Dustin Hoffman's stint in Laurence Olivier's chair.

The positives are that I still have all my own teeth and very, very few fillings, but I have to floss (though for escargot's reasons I use Dentek Floss Picks)/TePe twice daily and I now also use Gengigel Gel (sic) to keep gum issues at bay, in addition to actually brushing.

Last edited:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
All the best with that - and Dentek Floss Picks are your friend here as in my experience they never get jammed. (And they're now biodegradable!)

https://www.boots.com/dentek-complete-clean-y-floss-picks-75-picks-10143398

My teeth - or more correctly my gums - are an area of ongoing and costly concern. I had a spell of a decade without seeing a dentist, knowing that my dental hygiene was very good.

And even after that decade-long hiatus all was well for a few years. Then, and possibly related to stress, which can be a factor in gum disease, I started to develop gum issues. I now have to take fanatical care of my teeth or, more especially, my gums.

My visits to the hygienist can resemble Dustin Hoffman's stint in Laurence Olivier's chair.

The positives are that I still have all my own teeth and very, very few fillings, but I have to floss (though for escargot's reasons I use Dentek Floss Picks)/TePe twice daily and I now also use Gengigel Gel (sic) to keep gum issues at bay, in addition to actually brushing.
My trapped floss/fat lip situation is even stupider because I own a USB-powered water-driven flosser but was too idle to go upstairs for it. :rolleyes:

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
I must try those floss picks as i presume tweezers are not good

Ice skates: that’s what you need for serious dental work:

14772539_4.jpg

(Tom Hanks in Castaway.)

maximus otter

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
How about someone writes some detective stories where the detective isn't weird? You know doesn't have a missing limb, or an unusually large head,, or a cocaine habit, or (the latest that started this rant) a brain tumor.

Also preferably should not be hiding some terrible secret from the past, or be avenging his sister's murder, or be a reformed alcoholic. Or a secret serial killer - looking at you, Dexter. Or quirkily foreign. Not suffering PTSD from WW2/the Falklands/SAS training.
I've started reading Ross McDonald's Lew Archer novels and so far he seems fairly normal.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
My teeth are...fragile and flossing usually results in bits of my teeth coming away. I clean the gaps between them with the stems of grasses when I'm out on a run - they break rather than jamming or pulling my teeth out!

Impybat

this space for rent
Reaction score
I love those flossers! They're a lot easier for me to use. Thread type floss, not so much.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
My teeth are...fragile and flossing usually results in bits of my teeth coming away. I clean the gaps between them with the stems of grasses when I'm out on a run - they break rather than jamming or pulling my teeth out!

I read that as "stems of glasses" and my mind briefly boggled.

Dental tape is the way to go, I find, rather than floss.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I read that as "stems of glasses" and my mind briefly boggled.

Dental tape is the way to go, I find, rather than floss.
The best stuff I ever used was some extra-wide dental tape from Sweden. I got it from the nightmare Swedish dentist I went to once (and once was enough). Can't find it anywhere, and I don't want to go back to that awful dentist.

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
People on a fix income ( like me ) are getting screwed.

Covid has caused untold supply problems in the world.

The world is experiencing inflation.

The Bank of England is predicting an unheard of 4% by Christmas.

In the U.S. we have a gut busting 6.2 % not seen since 1990.

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
This world “ inflation on steroids “ is just as dangerous as covid.

The buying power of the people is greatly reduced meaning having less of everything like food.

The Bank of England looking at 4% and claims this is unheard off, as inflation in the U.S. goes to 6.2%.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I've got a cold, a very, very nasty head cold that felt like flu yesterday but now has reverted to sneezing, runny nose and feeling rubbish.

But I couldn't get warm in bed last night even with a hot water bottle and blankets over the duvet, and the result is my skin got very hot and has come up in spots. The anti-histamines will knock it on the head in a few hours but it does get extremely itchy. This covers pretty much all of my arms, legs and torso, though my scalp is no longer itching.

IMG_4096 copy.jpg

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Email a photo to your doctor with a description of the other symptoms. You don't need to be a doctor to see that this is not merely a cold—how much of your body/skin is covered by spots.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Email a photo to your doctor with a description of the other symptoms. You don't need to be a doctor to see that this is not merely a cold—how much of your body/skin is covered by spots.
Yithian, thanks for that, but I've had this for forty years or so now. Often when I'm ill - or on the very, very few times I've been hung-over - my body reacts like this. My skin is extremely sensitive and this is the result of it getting really hot last night, even if I couldn't get warm. Same thing if I'm in the sun too long.

The anti-histamine will clear this in a few hours.

It's just another part of me that's slowly falling apart!

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Yithian, thanks for that, but I've had this for forty years or so now. Often when I'm ill - or on the very, very few times I've been hung-over - my body reacts like this. My skin is extremely sensitive and this is the result of it getting really hot last night, even if I couldn't get warm. Same thing if I'm in the sun too long.

The anti-histamine will clear this in a few hours.

It's just another part of me that's slowly falling apart!

With that context, you know much better than me then.

Have to say, it's quite an eye-opening reaction though. I have sensitive skin, too, but nothing like that.

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
@cycleboy2, hope you're feeling better soon. That's nasty looking heat rash. Good that you know how to take care of it.

I had a cold a month ago and it lasted a while, still have a bit of a cough. Guess it's the season.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
@cycleboy2, hope you're feeling better soon. That's nasty looking heat rash. Good that you know how to take care of it.

I had a cold a month ago and it lasted a while, still have a bit of a cough. Guess it's the season.
You've just reminded me; a few weeks ago I read an article about a Canadian chap who had spent a few days one winter in Paris. He said now bear in mind he's Canadian- he'd played football in -30c, and it was nowhere near that in Paris -only around -4c - but he said he could just not get warm. I don't think he was referring to the way the buildings were constructed/heating systems etc as such, but just the outside climate. I wonder if if the dampness/greyness of our winters that make it worse?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
You've just reminded me; a few weeks ago I read an article about a Canadian chap who had spent a few days one winter in Paris. He said now bear in mind he's Canadian- he'd played football in -30c, and it was nowhere near that in Paris -only around -4c - but he said he could just not get warm. I don't think he was referring to the way the buildings were constructed/heating systems etc as such, but just the outside climate. I wonder if if the dampness/greyness of our winters that make it worse?
One of my Grammar school teachers told us that you could play in the snow in certain places in shirt sleeves because the air was dry and you didn't feel cold. He mentioned Germany and I'm recalling a mountain landscape, like a ski area.

(He was an intriguing character. His surname, Labbé, sounded French and his hair and skin colour were like those of Mauritians I later worked with.
However, his voice was completely English and a bit posh. He was the only person of colour to teach us at that school and wasn't there long. I still wonder about him. )

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
One of my Grammar school teachers told us that you could play in the snow in certain places in shirt sleeves because the air was dry and you didn't feel cold. He mentioned Germany and I'm recalling a mountain landscape, like a ski area.

(He was an intriguing character. His surname, Labbé, sounded French and his hair and skin colour were like those of Mauritians I later worked with.
However, his voice was completely English and a bit posh. He was the only person of colour to teach us at that school and wasn't there long. I still wonder about him. )
Yes, and they get a good tan too at higher altitudes. So it's; Humid and hot = great. Dry and hot = the best (for me). Dry and cold = great.
Humid and cold (us) = terrible.

Yes, I also often wonder about people I've met fleetingly and will never see again.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Amazon UK to stop accepting UK-issued VISA cards as payment in the new year!?!

I only have one UK card these days—and it's VISA.

Bold way to open negotiations on fees!

Impybat

this space for rent
Reaction score

My grandmother's maiden name was Labbe! She was originally from Lille but they came to the U.S. in 1904 (I think that was the year, I'd have to double check with my sister).

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
My grandmother's maiden name was Labbe! She was originally from Lille but they came to the U.S. in 1904 (I think that was the year, I'd have to double check with my sister).
Our Mr Labbé (He was very fussy indeed about that acute accent! :wink2: ) was a thoroughly sophisticated and immaculately turned-out dandy, quite short but with enormous presence. He resembled a very young, and rather slight, bespectacled Labi Siffre.

Looking back I wonder if he was actually a little camp but I knew naught of such things back then.

A friend had a tremendous crush on him and tracked him down to wherever he moved on to, and showed me letters she'd written to him.
I do believe she turned up on his doorstep 100 miles away.
He was no doubt delighted. :chuckle:

Impybat

this space for rent
Reaction score
Our Mr Labbé (He was very fussy indeed about that acute accent! :wink2: ) was a thoroughly sophisticated and immaculately turned-out dandy, quite short but with enormous presence. He resembled a very young, and rather slight, bespectacled Labi Siffre.

Looking back I wonder if he was actually a little camp but I knew naught of such things back then.

A friend had a tremendous crush on him and tracked him down to wherever he moved on to, and showed me letters she'd written to him.
I do believe she turned up on his doorstep 100 miles away.
He was no doubt delighted. :chuckle:
That is hysterical! Your Mr. Labbe sounds great.