The Whinge Thread, Resurrected

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Reaction score
(He was an intriguing character. His surname, Labbé, sounded French and his hair and skin colour were like those of Mauritians I later worked with.
However, his voice was completely English and a bit posh. He was the only person of colour to teach us at that school and wasn't there long. I still wonder about him. )

I wonder if the surname is from l'abbé - the/a priest?

Impybat

this space for rent
Reaction score
I wonder if the surname is from l'abbé - the/a priest?
According to Ancestry.com, it is!

Labbe Family History​

Labbe Name Meaning​

French (Labbé): from Old French l’abe(t), ‘the priest’; an occupational name for someone employed in the household of a priest, or in some cases perhaps for the priest himself.
Source: Dictionary of American Family Names ©2013, Oxford University Press

link here: Labbe Family History.

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
You've just reminded me; a few weeks ago I read an article about a Canadian chap who had spent a few days one winter in Paris. He said now bear in mind he's Canadian- he'd played football in -30c, and it was nowhere near that in Paris -only around -4c - but he said he could just not get warm. I don't think he was referring to the way the buildings were constructed/heating systems etc as such, but just the outside climate. I wonder if if the dampness/greyness of our winters that make it worse?
Yes, humidity (summer) and windchill (winter) does affect how we manage cold/heat. In Alberta, a drier clime, people can go out in -20C with shirtsleeves and not feel the cold. In Ontario, a more humid clime, 2C can be bitingly cold with windchill factored in.

In winter, our weather reports always report the temp along with the windchill. In southwestern Ontario (not sure if it is same for all Ontario) cold weather warnings are issued if the windchill is -15C or lower. People can freeze to death when outdoors in that temperature.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Amazon UK to stop accepting UK-issued VISA cards as payment in the new year!?!

I only have one UK card these days—and it's VISA.

Bold way to opening negotiations on fees!
I have exactly the same problem. Only one card and it's Visa.
I wonder if there is a viable alternative to Amazon? I might just use that and stop using Amazon.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
After a lovely few days in Aviemore I am currently on the train back to that London. If you hear a cracking, groaning, rending noise do not be alarmed, tis merely my heart breaking.
Don't worry, we've sent Trevp to pick you up. That will make everything seem worse better.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
After a lovely few days in Aviemore I am currently on the train back to that London. If you hear a cracking, groaning, rending noise do not be alarmed, tis merely my heart breaking.

Haste ye back!

maximus otter

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Youngest daughter bought 2 dinner sets for for Christmas online for her niece who is collecting things for when she has her own place.
When they arrived instead of having packing they were just in a regular box with a bit of tape on the top that said Fragile.
Of course it was all smashed.
She rang and is supposed to get a refund so she went to the actual store and bought some. When she checked before she left there was one mug that had to be exchanged.
You would think with expensive items that they would take more care.
She said if she doesn't get the refund soon she will ask for a voucher to send the broken ones back which will cost them a lot.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Youngest daughter bought 2 dinner sets for for Christmas online for her niece who is collecting things for when she has her own place.
When they arrived instead of having packing they were just in a regular box with a bit of tape on the top that said Fragile.
She rang and is supposed to get a refund so she went to the actual store and bought some. When she checked before she left there was one mug that had to be exchanged.
She said if she doesn't get the refund soon she will ask for a voucher to send the broken ones back which will cost them a lot.
And yet, conversely, I once received this non-fragile item, (in the tiny box), placed in another box that a small child could get into, and fully covered in bubble wrap.

Attachments

• IMG_20200430_1143461.jpg
    IMG_20200430_1143461.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 8

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Just walked the dog around Saloptown and the state of the tarmac (or to give it its proper name, asphalt) pavements is, in many places atrocious. Potholed, crumbling and like a patchwork quilt.

I know in the warmer States and Oz they usually use concrete, often with a nice brush finish, but that wouldn't be practical here as it's usually raining so it would make a right mess when laying it, and because our pavements need to be dug up every 2 weeks to get to the antiquated services that keep breaking/leaking, it would be much more difficult to dig up and they'd just end up patched up anyway, probably with asphalt.
(They do this on the high street where there are nice block pavers/paving slabs. Take one out and put some instamac in. Looks terrible).

Why not use block pavers/slabs? They don't crumble to form holes/dips, they are easier to remove when needed, (no noisy jack-hammers), odd damaged ones or small areas can be replaced as necessary over the years, and when any work is done there are no signs of patching (if re-layed properly). They do it this way in Israel and it is far better. In fact they even use them on roads as well, like where vehicles are turning in a small area such as a mini-roundabout, where asphalt just gets churned up in 'waves' in a short time.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
@Floyd1 reminds me that when I was walking along beside Asda here t'other evening on way to dump my trolley I noticed how dark it was because, well, there are no lights.

I thought 'You can't see the ground!' and the trolley immediately hit a drain cover, smashed into my gut and nearly winded me. :mad:

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
And here's a story for you regarding care taken with shipping just to show how things change in almost 100 years. My grandma was born in Saskatchewan and grew up during the depression. When she got married, she had moved to Ontario, but her parents were still in Saskatchewan. Her mother made her wedding cake and mailed it from Saskatchewan to Ontario. When it arrived, it was perfect. Not even the icing (I don't know how decorative it might have been) was cracked!

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Floyd 1 we have been saying lately that noone seems to be able to plan anything these days
They just put something in place and never plan laterally in case something doesn't work out.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
And here's a story for you regarding care taken with shipping just to show how things change in almost 100 years. My grandma was born in Saskatchewan and grew up during the depression. When she got married, she had moved to Ontario, but her parents were still in Saskatchewan. Her mother made her wedding cake and mailed it from Saskatchewan to Ontario. When it arrived, it was perfect. Not even the icing (I don't know how decorative it might have been) was cracked!

Yeah, Lidl sell cakes like that.

maximus otter

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Been feeling ill all day.
Went to bed at 8 last night, because I was so tired.
Today, I still feel tired and have had diarrhoea all day.

Sorry to hear this.

I received an email from my daughter's school today saying that they had a stomach bug going round with these symptoms.

I suppose it's unlikely you've been there!

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Sorry to hear this.

I received an email from my daughter's school today saying that they had a stomach bug going round with these symptoms.

I suppose it's unlikely you've been there!
Yeah, I haven't been there.
I am topping up my fluid levels with a pint of water.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Been feeling ill all day.
Went to bed at 8 last night, because I was so tired.
Today, I still feel tired and have had diarrhoea all day.
Drink squash with added sugar and some salt for rehydration.There are recipes online if you want exact quantities but just sloshing some of each in will work, it's not dangerous to get it wrong.

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I do not know if you have Gatorade or Pedialyte electrolyte replenishment ?

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I've just spent the last hour being told in tiny detail why I'm a colossal cunt by someone who'd invited me round for a beer. Why did they invite me round?. I finished the beer though. So maybe they have a point.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
I've just spent the last hour being told in tiny detail why I'm a colossal cunt by someone who'd invited me round for a beer. Why did they invite me round?. I finished the beer though. So maybe they have a point.

Did the other person obtain an unwhinge benefit (e.g., stress relief) by revealing his / her opinion? If so, you fulfilled a therapeutic purpose for them. Whether a single beer represents an adequate fee for the service is a separate question ... :thought: