The Whinge Thread, Resurrected

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Did the other person obtain an unwhinge benefit (e.g., stress relief) by revealing his / her opinion? If so, you fulfilled a therapeutic purpose for them. Whether a single beer represents an adequate fee for the service is a separate question ... :thought:
I didn't enjoy the hour so not really, no.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Did the other person obtain an unwhinge benefit (e.g., stress relief) by revealing his / her opinion? If so, you fulfilled a therapeutic purpose for them. Whether a single beer represents an adequate fee for the service is a separate question ... :thought:
I didn't enjoy the hour so not really, no.
I reckon that’s at least a two beer job.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
I've just spent the last hour being told in tiny detail why I'm a colossal cunt by someone who'd invited me round for a beer. Why did they invite me round? I finished the beer though. So maybe they have a point.

The trick here—and it's a subtle one—is to start off impassive and a little frosty as your various sins are listed, but then start to nod vaguely and gently agree: "I do do that, don't I—it must be so annoying.

The next step is to take the initiative and start adding your own criticisms of yourself. Try at this stage not to give your interlocutor much of a chance to speak, and be sure to throw in a few uncomfortable ones about how badly you treated your (fictional) cousin, but after his suicide you had no way to make amends, or how the very sin he has detected in you is what your ex-fiancée told you before she broke it off.

The final stage, and it's hard not to break kayfabe here, is to praise your critic for having the corresponding strengths to your weaknesses—lay it on thick and ask him or her for advice. If you need a break to compose yourself, go to the bar and borrow a pencil from the staff, then return and get him to repeat his last nugget of advice so you can write it down on a beermat or somesuch.

The parting shot is to check the time and suddenly realise a pressing engagement elsewhere before thanking him warmly for his help and offering to shake his hand in parting.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I've just spent the last hour being told in tiny detail why I'm a colossal cunt by someone who'd invited me round for a beer. Why did they invite me round?. I finished the beer though. So maybe they have a point.
We'll need more information, please. Were exact details of your putative pudendal conduct given?

You did get a beer though, and you know not to accept next time.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
I've just spent the last hour being told in tiny detail why I'm a colossal cunt by someone who'd invited me round for a beer. Why did they invite me round?. I finished the beer though. So maybe they have a point.

Why sit and take it for an hour?

In fact, unless his opinion of you was a total mystery before your encounter, why volunteer to pass time with someone having an attitude like that?

maximus otter

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
You could have come on here for an hour (or more) and we would've told you that. Far better for it to come from us I reckon.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
EVERYONE is coming into the shop complaining about the 'terrible cold they've got'. Full on snot, cough, temperature, glands, the lot. As they stand in front of me, unmasked and coughing.

I so want to tell them that, if they caught a cold they can catch Covid, and they should go home, put on a mask, wash their hands AND KEEP WASHING THEM and perhaps take the cold as a warning.

But I'm British, so i won't, I will just sympathise with them and hope that my precautions are enough to stop me catching The Great Snottage.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
The trick here—and it's a subtle one—is to start off impassive and a little frosty as your various sins are listed, but then start to nod vaguely and gently agree: "I do do that, don't I—it must be so annoying.

The next step is to take the initiative and start adding your own criticisms of yourself. Try at this stage not to give your interlocutor much of a chance to speak, and be sure to throw in a few uncomfortable ones about how badly you treated your (fictional) cousin, but after his suicide you had no way to make amends, or how the very sin he has detected in you is what your ex-fiancée told you before she broke it off.

The final stage, and it's hard not to break kayfabe here, is to praise your critic for having the corresponding strengths to your weaknesses—lay it on thick and ask him or her for advice. If you need a break to compose yourself, go to the bar and borrow a pencil from the staff, then return and get him to repeat his last nugget of advice so you can write it down on a beermat or somesuch.

The parting shot is to check the time and suddenly realise a pressing engagement elsewhere before thanking him warmly for his help and offering to shake his hand in parting.
Why be polite about it? Just get up and walk out without a word. Leave the beer, you can buy your own. As many as you like. Nicer ones. In better company. That's how I'd deal with it.

I have, in fact, and highly satisfying it was too. :cool:

Swifty

Reaction score
Why be polite about it? Just get up and walk out without a word. Leave the beer, you can buy your own. As many as you like. Nicer ones. In better company. That's how I'd deal with it.

I thought about walking out and leaving the beer as a show of defiance but I wanted to see how far this person was willing to stoop while I drank their beer .. I've been asked not to go round again so I think Enola hit the nail of the head, this was more about them than me. I left as politely as I stayed. The list of things I've done for this person in the past is off the scale. They've also helped me out in the past so it goes both ways. We're talking about 5 years of history that would send most people to sleep if I type them up here.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score

I have a taste for leaving horrible people unsure what has just happened with a sneaking suspicion that they may have been humiliated but not a shred of evidence to substantiate it.

Each to his or her own.

titch

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Did you see them open the beer? Otherwise I would be very worried.

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
I thought about walking out and leaving the beer as a show of defiance but I wanted to see how far this person was willing to stoop while I drank their beer .. I've been asked not to go round again so I think Enola hit the nail of the head, this was more about them than me. I left as politely as I stayed. The list of things I've done for this person in the past is off the scale. They've also helped me out in the past so it goes both ways. We're talking about 5 years of history that would send most people to sleep if I type them up here.
Had very similar experience. More than once, in fact. Why do people store this stuff up? If someone's irritating you just say so at the time, don't let it accumulate. I can't claim to be any great expert on personal relationships, but I do have one motto - don't wake up angry.

Swifty

Reaction score
Had very similar experience. More than once, in fact. Why do people store this stuff up? If someone's irritating you just say so at the time, don't let it accumulate. I can't claim to be any great expert on personal relationships, but I do have one motto - don't wake up angry.
It was a whole hour of being criticized, even my T Shirt was criticized Cochise .. and it's a good T Shirt, trust me .. criticize by Alexander O Neal ..

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
It was a whole hour of being criticized, even my T Shirt was criticized Cochise .. and it's a good T Shirt, trust me .. criticize by Alexander O Neal ..

Yeah. Why is it some folk can't understand jeans and a black T-shirt is ALWAYS AND FOREVER cool? :)

(White T-shirt acceptable if young and fit)

Swifty

Reaction score
Yeah. Why is it some folk can't understand jeans and a black T-shirt is ALWAYS AND FOREVER cool? :)

(White T-shirt acceptable if young and fit)
How did you know? .. I actually was wearing jeans and a black T-shirt lol ..

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I used this one many times at school. If when the teacher said ''Floyd you are a complete idiot'' instead of argueing back, I'd nod and say ''You're right Sir, yes I am a complete arse'' etc. Teacher would then say ''Yes, right, well, don't do it again'', and then walk off. It saved me no end of trouble. (Not argueing back was also helped by doing the 'imagine them naked on the toilet' trick as well of course).

Swifty

Reaction score
It's a good job Swifty's one of the few people left these days who you just cannot 'offend'. And Heaven knows I've tried to.
I once had to deal with a naked ex soldier who was 're modelling' his kitchen with a chainsaw in a community setting care work job. My boss said "What did you do?", I said "I asked him if he wanted a cup of tea, he was probably thirsty." .. after people like that, others pail in comparison when they slag your T-shirt off. I replied to that with "This was two quid from a chazza shop! .. I like it so fuck you."

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I once had to deal with a naked ex soldier who was 're modelling' his kitchen with a chainsaw in a community setting care work job. My boss said "What did you do?", I said "I asked him if he wanted a cup of tea, he was probably thirsty." .. after people like that, others pail in comparison when they slag your T-shirt off. I replied to that with "This was two quid from a chazza shop! .. I like it so fuck you."
Good grief man, what a life you lead!

Swifty

Reaction score
Good grief man, what a life you lead!
Not anymore thank God. My ex co worker's still going somehow, he was the only other person that chainsaw boy would allow in his flat (I called us 'C.H.I.P.S' aka Cromer Highway Patrol because we were the only ones in the team who did the job on mountain bikes) but he keeps burning out (the Mrs has just loaned him £90 .. he earns loads so can pay her back easily and they're old friends) ... he hides in his flat, his company can't reach him, me and the Mrs go and rescue him (think the film First Blood when the only person who can get close to John Rambo is his old captain .. that's the Mrs), repeat .. his company loves him though because he'll do almost anything and will work insane hours but he's not getting any younger. He can be a dick sometimes but we worry about him, he got quarantined with covid for a week so we were doing his shopping back then. He's her gay blade runner BFF .. and have a choon ..

Last edited:

Swifty

Reaction score
EVERYONE is coming into the shop complaining about the 'terrible cold they've got'. Full on snot, cough, temperature, glands, the lot. As they stand in front of me, unmasked and coughing.

I so want to tell them that, if they caught a cold they can catch Covid, and they should go home, put on a mask, wash their hands AND KEEP WASHING THEM and perhaps take the cold as a warning.

But I'm British, so i won't, I will just sympathise with them and hope that my precautions are enough to stop me catching The Great Snottage.
Have you not got one of those Perspex screens up in front of your counter?