The Whinge Thread, Resurrected

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I have a taste for leaving horrible people unsure what has just happened with a sneaking suspicion that they may have been humiliated but not a shred of evidence to substantiate it.

Each to his or her own.
That's engaging with them though. Giving them your time. Not something one should waste on wankers.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
I used this one many times at school. If when the teacher said ''Floyd you are a complete idiot'' instead of argueing back, I'd nod and say ''You're right Sir, yes I am a complete arse'' etc. Teacher would then say ''Yes, right, well, don't do it again'', and then walk off. It saved me no end of trouble. (Not argueing back was also helped by doing the 'imagine them naked on the toilet' trick as well of course).
I have also found the 'nod and smile disarmingly whilst pretending to be too stupid to quite grasp what they are saying' has stood me in good stead many times at work when a customer is looking for an excuse to go off on one. This is hugely assisted by the fact that a lot of people assume that shop workers are thick as two short planks anyway.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
This has potential. I forsee a future UnCon when we both insist on being addressed as Clarice Starling in a loud and bouncy manner! :twothumbs:
I went to a Magistrates' Courts employees' fancy dress party as Clarice. Had the FBI baseball cap and an' a gun an' everythin'. :cool:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I have also found the 'nod and smile disarmingly whilst pretending to be too stupid to quite grasp what they are saying' has stood me in good stead many times at work when a customer is looking for an excuse to go off on one. This is hugely assisted by the fact that a lot of people assume that shop workers are thick as two short planks anyway.
I have been known to prevent another customer from holding me up harassing a till worker by leaning in close and hissing 'Just pack your shit and fuck off.'

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I have on the till. But not if I'm stacking shelves... :)
I've got a theory that I've just invented, if I get the tent/jackets etc job, I'm hoping that the people I'll be serving will be the organised planning types of people instead of the last minute drunk customers I'm used to .. they'll know what the date is without checking, they probably wore face masks and got jabbed when told to, the won't be telling me their conspiracy theories .. they'll just want a sturdy pair of boots without the bullshit .. I hope.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
I rent a HP printer for work from a private one-man band setup: costs me around 30 to 35 quid a month, but with unlimited colour ink refills and same-day maintenance call out (he often arrives within and hour or two).

It's unofficially jury-rigged with comically large external ink storage-tubes 'plumbed in' that hold absolutely tons of the stuff.

It seemed like a lot of money at first, but I print an average of forty to fifty full-colour sheets five days per week, every week; I reckon I've saved thousands of pounds over the last decade.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
I rent a HP printer for work from a private one-man band setup: costs me around 30 to 35 quid a month, but with unlimited colour ink refills and same-day maintenance call out (he often arrives within and hour or two).

It's unofficially jury-rigged with comically large external ink storage-tubes 'plumbed in' that hold absolutely tons of the stuff.

It seemed like a lot of money at first, but I print an average of forty to fifty full-colour sheets five days per week, every week; I reckon I've saved thousands of pounds over the last decade.

Has he got a passport?

maximus otter

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
I bet HP in Europe and N. America would go spare if they saw this kind of indie setup take off, but the shadow repair/maintenance/rental industries are huge in East Asia (and I expect elsewhere), but somehow blind eyes are turned.

No idea whether the law is more permissive in this area.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Reaction score
And obviously a cousin of my hp. Which links to the pc only when it feels like it.

Lamda sensors. The only vehicle we have running is the Monster!

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Lost most of the day thanks to a massive headache, managed to slightly recover in the evening for a little dinner and TV, but oh, thank goodness for darkened rooms. Better go to bed so it doesn't happen again tomorrow.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I should’ve learned by now..

Tesco ‘ripen at home’ products would be better re-labelled ‘save yourself time & bin now’ as they never do. I bought some pears 3 or 4 weeks ago - they’re still rock hard & will no doubt end up in the bin without ever approaching edibleness.