The Whinge Thread, Resurrected

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
We've been over this before! There are NO SEEDS in currants and sultanas!
Well, OK... what is the gritty stuff they have inside them?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Well, OK... what is the gritty stuff they have inside them?

I don't know what you've been eating, but there's absolutely nothing gritty about the raisins I have on my cereal every morning! They're perfectly soft and sweet.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
I don't know what you've been eating, but there's absolutely nothing gritty about the raisins I have on my cereal every morning! They're perfectly soft and sweet.
All the raisins, sultanas, etc. that I have ever had have been gritty.
If you open them up and look closely, you will find that they have tiny shrunken pips the size of a grain of sand.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
All the raisins, sultanas, etc. that I have ever had have been gritty.
If you open them up and look closely, you will find that they have tiny shrunken pips the size of a grain of sand.

No they don't! No raisins or sultanas contain seeds, and I eat them every day! Seedless grapes contain no seeds!

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
No they don't! No raisins or sultanas contain seeds, and I eat them every day! Seedless grapes contain no seeds!
Just have a look.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
Sultanas don't but raisins often have something a little bit hard in the middle of them. But sadly that's not the case with this cake, it's proper gritty stuff. The stuff in raisins is only occasional, and a bit bigger, this is every single bite.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
I've assumed (probably wrongly) that it is sugar crystals.
Well, it might be (but they don't have the same 'mouthfeel' as sugar crystals).
Or it could be that my Mum buys only cheap, nasty dried fruit and GNC only ever buys that gold-plated luxury version.

TangletwigsDeux

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Well I am finally almost there in my quest for online banking. I think. Got an actually helpful telephone support lady who managed to understand my ravings and got me to create a new (number which shall not be mentioned) which allowed me to get as far as setting up a user name and super secret squirrel questions, just need the 2nd half of the secure key now which I am having to have mailed to me as the email they have for me is again 20-25 years old.

Can I breathe out yet?

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Well I am finally almost there in my quest for online banking. I think. Got an actually helpful telephone support lady who managed to understand my ravings and got me to create a new (number which shall not be mentioned) which allowed me to get as far as setting up a user name and super secret squirrel questions, just need the 2nd half of the secure key now which I am having to have mailed to me as the email they have for me is again 20-25 years old.

Can I breathe out yet?
Around 2010 I received a letter from my bank (that I have been with since 1988) saying that I had to write to them confirming who I was as they had me down as being born on the 1st January 1900. As this was possible (although it would have meant that I would have been been 110) I can only think that they had everyone else down as being born on this date as well.

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
Around 2010 I received a letter from my bank (that I have been with since 1988) saying that I had to write to them confirming who I was as they had me down as being born on the 1st January 1900. As this was possible (although it would have meant that I would have been been 110) I can only think that they had everyone else down as being born on this date as well.
Sounds like the Millenium Bug although 2010 seems quite late for them to have noticed. Maybe a 110 year old baking with them sets off alarm bells that a 100 year old wouldn't.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
And now my sultanas and raisins report. I had two foodstuffs today, both containing said dried fruit. I opened up the sultanas in Fruit and Fibre cereal and found... NO SEEDS. Then I had a slice of Panettone and opened up raisins in that to find... NO SEEDS.

Therefore I can conclude there are NO SEEDS IN RAISINS OR SULTANAS. That was worth waiting for, wasn't it?

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
And now my sultanas and raisins report. I had two foodstuffs today, both containing said dried fruit. I opened up the sultanas in Fruit and Fibre cereal and found... NO SEEDS. Then I had a slice of Panettone and opened up raisins in that to find... NO SEEDS.

Therefore I can conclude there are NO SEEDS IN RAISINS OR SULTANAS. That was worth waiting for, wasn't it?
Raisins
Sultanas

What about currants?

Gloucestrian

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Raisins and sultanas are dried red and white grapes respectively, though in the USA raisin is used for both. Sultanas are always seedless as they are a specific variety of grape that arose naturally to be seedless and was propagated vegetatively. Raisins historically sometimes had seeds as they were dried grapes that had seeds within. Old recipes call for deseeding the raisins before using. However virtually all raisins produced commercially today are produced using seedless varieties.

Myth is correct in that seedless grapes do actually contain undeveloped seeds which in the fresh grape can be discerned as an area of slightly different texture and you can see them if you slice a seedless grape in half. The undeveloped seeds are fleshy not hard, and don't dry into a hard bit. The hard part in some raisins is actually tough bit at the bottom of a grape that connects it to the stem, this often comes away with the grape and once dried would be like a small hard ball which can be pulled inside the raisin as the raisin dries. This is no cause for concern, it is edible and basically just grape vine tissue, slightly woody in texture. This is supposed to be mechanically separated but this process is imperfect.

A developed grape seed is rather large and is obvious in the raisin, basically making it lumpy and nearly twice the size of an unseeded raisin. I have seen seeded raisins as I have made my own from an old grapevine. It's a pain to remove the seeds, not worth it, so just buy commercial raisins :D

Variety matters here as some varieties don't experience the problem with that small piece of woody tissue coming away with the grape. Also some grape varieties produce raisins that are edible without removing the seed. Muscat is one such variety. It's possible Myth has been eating these kind of raisins. https://www.buywholefoodsonline.co.uk/organic-muscat-raisins-500g.html

Currants are dried currants (white-currants, redcurrants, blackcurrants) but beware of Zante currants which are actually a small grape. Currants do have seeds in them, the seeds are soft enough to eat (in the fresh fruit and the dried).

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
Ok, I am stepping into the fray with Myth about the raisins. Yes, the hard crunchy thing is a part of the stem. I love raisin pie, but will not eat it because I always get ONE bite that crunches. AAAAAUGH! I cannot stand crunching on something that is not supposed to be crunchy. I can’t even explain the disgust GAH! when this happens. I immediately want to spit whatever is in my mouth out.

I very carefully peal eggs and rinse them whenever I make egg salad for a sandwich because an eggshell just ruins the whole thing for me. I like peanut butter and banana sandwiches, but once when I was a kid, a friend’s mom made me a sandwich and, while I expected smooth peanut butter, she made it with crunchy. For an agonizing 30 seconds, I couldn’t chew nor swallow it, until I realized the crunch was from the peanut butter.

If I am eating something that is supposed to be crunchy, no problem, but eating something that crunches that shouldn’t is totally revolting to me. It’s like an instinctual reaction for me to spit it out.

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
Yes. It's even worse than finding a hair in your food.
I put a friend off eggs for life by pointing out the brain.

And there are small gritty bits in raisins and sultanas. Not being a biologist I couldn't tell you if they are seeds. but if they are from grapes I suspect it depends very strongly on where they originate as to whether they have seeds. In my experience even allegedly seedless grapes occasionally have something that looks damn like seeds in them.