• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
What??!
"The new room means 161 rooms have been found in the mansion that is a California state landmark, San Jose landmark and is listed on the National Archives of Historic Places.

The house has 10,000 windows, 2,000 doors, 47 fireplaces, 40 staircases, 13 bathrooms, and nine kitchens"

How on earth could any building contain 160+1=161 concealed rooms??
I'd like to know who and how room 161 aka Sarah's Loft was discovered after all this time. That would make an interesting mini documentary by itself ..... through research, a tourist's idle curiosity or a staff member spotting something weird ?

I think things get "rediscovered" whenever someone wants to spice up a story. In this case, there is even a back-story, that the attic was sealed after Sarah had a traumatic time in it. The gothic paraphernalia - dolls and a pipe-organ! - seem rather too colourful, in every sense. :rolleyes:

I think things get "rediscovered" whenever someone wants to spice up a story. In this case, there is even a back-story, that the attic was sealed after Sarah had a traumatic time in it. The gothic paraphernalia - dolls and a pipe-organ! - seem rather too colourful, in every sense. :rolleyes:
I hadn't considered a tourism pull stunt to be honest. It could be possible.

You Can Virtually Tour the Winchester Mystery House For Free While It's Closed Due to COVID-19

Like many other places around the country, the Winchester Mystery House is closed now due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Instead of physical tours, the house is offering a 40-minute video tour of the property for anyone that’s interested:

https://winchestermysteryhouse.com/video-tour/#Video

The house’s website says that it is offering free video access until April 7th, the day the Bay Area’s current “shelter in place” order is set to expire.

https://lifehacker.com/you-can-virtually-tour-the-winchester-mystery-house-for-1842446238

maximus otter

I've just found this 1963 half hour film about it.

I see that I "liked" this back when it was posted. I'm prettty sure I never viewed it but I have downloaded it now! The opening is very atmospheric and Lilian Gish the perfect narrator! :)

I will save the Virtual Tour till after the video. Thanks for both! :hapdan:

Last edited:
Brian Dunning recently did a nice podcast about the Winchester House. I do not always buy his demonstrations, but this one looks sound, and the way he presents Sarah Winchester is actually quite moving.

Here is the link to the written page : https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4824

In this article, he debunks the myth of the old lady fearing ghosts and emphasizes her philantropic ideals. The following quote sums up his position :

The tour guides and popular articles rarely speak of the shrewd investor, the generous employer, or her prodigious philanthropy. They speak of a tiny, reclusive woman, racked with guilt and fear, obsessed with spirits and the paranormal, maniacally building a maze to confound her demons. (...) I argue that we should watch out instead for the perils and pitfalls of accepting the popular version of any story, especially a sensationalized one, and take the time to find the truth.

A few months back I was looking round a place selling old furnisher,
one piece was a large strongly built dresser type thing, it had Winchester
across it, looking in the drawers it looked like it was a display come spares
cabinet for Winchester arms, regret not asking more about it.

Surprised I haven't seen this thread until now.

I went there in, oh, probably 1990 when I was a kid. Little bit of a fun story....

I was visiting my dad in California for the summer and one morning I woke up, went downstairs for breakfast, and he's standing there. He beams at me and says, "Today is Your Day. We'll do whatever you want to do."

It didn't take me more than a split-second to ask, "How far is San Jose from here?"

He replied, "It's within driving distance."

"I want to go to the Winchester Mystery House!"

And so we did. It was only many, many years later that I realized with 99% certainty he expected me to say, "Disneyland!" :D

Anyways, it's a beautiful house and the tour was amazing. We got to see the Blue Room (Sarah's "seance" room) and take the secret passage out of there, doors opening up to blank walls, the stairway that goes up and just...stops, and the door which, if you were to go through it, would drop you something like 15 feet into a walled up pit with no way out. I believe that last one was situated in the middle of an upstairs kitchen.

I've been meaning to go there again....

Surprised I haven't seen this thread until now.

I went there in, oh, probably 1990 when I was a kid. Little bit of a fun story....

I was visiting my dad in California for the summer and one morning I woke up, went downstairs for breakfast, and he's standing there. He beams at me and says, "Today is Your Day. We'll do whatever you want to do."

It didn't take me more than a split-second to ask, "How far is San Jose from here?"

He replied, "It's within driving distance."

"I want to go to the Winchester Mystery House!"

And so we did. It was only many, many years later that I realized with 99% certainty he expected me to say, "Disneyland!" :D

Anyways, it's a beautiful house and the tour was amazing. We got to see the Blue Room (Sarah's "seance" room) and take the secret passage out of there, doors opening up to blank walls, the stairway that goes up and just...stops, and the door which, if you were to go through it, would drop you something like 15 feet into a walled up pit with no way out. I believe that last one was situated in the middle of an upstairs kitchen.

I've been meaning to go there again....
Did your dad like the trip?

The Spirit Halloween Store chain is sponsoring a contest where the winner gets a special Winchester House tour, but you need to be on Instagram to take part in it:

HALFWAY TO HALLOWEEN WEEK IS HERE. We've partnered with @winchestermysteryhouse to give you the haunted experience of a lifetime.

RULES to ENTER:
Follow @spirithalloween
Like this post
Tag the friend you'd take with you

PRIZE: An all-inclusive trip for 2 including ✈️'s, 3 days in San Jose CA, a private VIP tour of Winchester House, a catered, private dining experience in one of Sarah Winchester’s restored dining rooms, and after dark séance experience and mansion walk through accompanied by a professional medium.

Sweepstakes ends 4/27 11:59pm ET. Must be 18+ or older to enter. Official rules: https://a.pgtb.me/0wZXDS

winchester.png

Back