The World's Dumbest Criminals

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
A man removing a catalytic converter from a BMW was crushed to death when the car fell on him, an inquest heard.

Dad-of-three-crushed-to-death-under-BMW-as-he-720x480.jpg

Daniel Stephens, 25, from Pontypool in South Wales, had tried to take the valuable mechanical part from a vehicle in a car park along Porth High Street on August 12.

At 6am the car's owner approached his vehicle before driving to work, but found Mr Stephen's body mangled under the weight of his car.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/dad-25-crushed-death-trying-24888518

maximus otter

was the car owner late for work?

Seriously though I wouldn't want to see anyone killed in such an incident, a trapped limb and arrest should suffice to deter them from further such crimes.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
A man removing a catalytic converter from a BMW was crushed to death when the car fell on him, an inquest heard.

Dad-of-three-crushed-to-death-under-BMW-as-he-720x480.jpg

Daniel Stephens, 25, from Pontypool in South Wales, had tried to take the valuable mechanical part from a vehicle in a car park along Porth High Street on August 12.

At 6am the car's owner approached his vehicle before driving to work, but found Mr Stephen's body mangled under the weight of his car.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/dad-25-crushed-death-trying-24888518

maximus otter
Car-ma

michael59

Justified & Incandecent
I had my catalytic converter cut off by my so called BFF a few years back. It had cascading results because the way he did it flattened 2 tires and bent the rims and axles. In turn, that trip a bunch of sensors and would have cost around $3000 to repair all that was wrong with the car. He probably got around $60 Canadian, I had to scrap the car.

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
A huge problem is that there are not many, if any, obstacles to buying catalytic converters some random guy shows up with.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
There are reasons why they say you shouldn't return to the scene of the crime. One reason is to avoid becoming a chronically returning offender and drawing multiple arrest warrants all at once.
Man arrested for robbing the same Fairfax 7-Eleven four times

Detectives have charged a 32-year-old man for a series of robberies at one 7-Eleven store in Fairfax County.

The store at 9511 Blake Lane has been hit four times -- July 15, Aug. 22, Aug. 29, and Sept. 6. In each robbery, the suspect entered the store, assaulted an employee, stole merchandise and cash from the register.

On Sept. 9, detectives received information from a source that the suspect was involved in a trespassing incident and identified as Ronald Hill Jr., of no fixed address ...

Detectives reviewed surveillance footage, confirmed that he was the suspect in the robberies and obtained warrants for four counts of robbery, the release said.

Hill was arrested Saturday ...
FULL STORY: https://www.insidenova.com/news/cri...cle_2f7d2290-15e3-11ec-b3f8-f766192459bb.html

Last edited:

EnolaGaia

Staff member
There are reasons why they say you shouldn't return to the scene of the crime. ...
The same applies to this guy. He stole a car from a dealership and came back days later aiming to trade it in ... :loopy:
Florida man accused of trying to trade car to dealer he stole it from

A man walks into a car dealership, wishing to trade the vehicle he drove up in for a new one. Happens all the time, right? ...

According to First Coast News and some other Florida outlets, police in Jacksonville responded to Lake City Chrysler Dodge Jeep, where the scene above played out, as it does every day. But this time was different.

When the dealership's sales staff logged the VIN on the man's trade-in, they discovered that the car had been stolen from that very dealership just days prior. That's right, a customer, for lack of a better term, was trying to trade a car stolen at that dealership for something better.

Police say that after they read him his rights, he told them he had stolen the car. ...

He's been jailed and charged with grand theft auto, dealing in stolen property, criminal mischief and petit theft. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.autoblog.com/2021/09/22/florida-man-tries-to-trade-stolen-car-to-dealership/

hunck

Antediluvian
Police find man hiding in cupboard

He tried to blend in with clothes but forgot about his legs.

This is the bizarre moment a suspected thief was caught hiding in a wardrobe with a blanket on his head.

The 36-year-old wanted man possibly thought he would get away if he just blended in with the rail of clothes.

‘Despite being told the offender was not at the address, officers still searched the address.

‘A 36-year-old male has been arrested after being found hiding in the cupboard under a blanket, his big feet gave him away.

‘One more charged and remanded for committing thefts in South Derbyshire.’

Sergeant Tarj Nizzer said: ‘If you run from Swadlincote Police you will only go to jail tired, in this case he had his blanket ready for his sleep in the cell.’
1633467369499.png

EnolaGaia

Staff member
This incident is "connected to criminal activity" and will undoubtedly result in charges being issued, so I'm filing it under "Dumb Criminals" ...

Cop a piss / bust a cap / cops' bust pending ...
Man shoots himself in the leg while urinating in Times Square

A man shot himself in the leg while urinating in Times Square early Monday afternoon, cops said.

The man who misfired, a 39-year-old from Brooklyn, took a bullet to his right leg at the corner of West 40th Street and Seventh Avenue around 12:25 p.m., sending him stumbling into the corridor of the train subway stop there, police said.

He was taken to Bellevue Hospital, where sources said he is conscious, alert and likely to survive. ...

The shooter was not immediately identified.

Sources said the shooting is connected to criminal activity on the block. ...
FULL STORY: https://nypost.com/2021/10/04/another-shooting-erupts-in-times-square/

EnolaGaia

Staff member
There are reasons why they say you shouldn't return to the scene of the crime. ...
This is beginning to be a repeating theme ... :roll:
It seems this guy robbed a bank on Monday, then returned to the same bank to try it again on Tuesday.
Police: Robber caught after trying to rob same bank again

A man suspected of robbing a Southern California bank was arrested when he returned to try and rob the same branch the following day ...

The man entered a Chase bank in the city of Fountain Valley Monday afternoon and gave a teller a note demanding money ...

He fled with a “large amount of cash” before officers got to the bank ...

Late Tuesday morning, police received a call about another robbery in progress at the same Chase bank ...

Responding officers arrested the 33-year-old suspect. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/california-robbery-arrests-9869576600bf1fa8f47395394d495fc9

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Jonathan Best, who livestreamed himself racially abusing England footballers, has been jailed for 10 weeks.

When a facebook friend saw the posting with its 'grossly offensive content', Best replied ‘It’s my profile, I can do what I want.’

Ha ha ha ha ha. Well, yes he can - but he's now doing a month or so in chokey as a result of it. Not sure livestreaming your own criminal acts is particularly clever. F***wit!

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ashford-sancho-and-saka-after-final-euro-2020

Hopefully somebody can now find some balls and stop Yorkshire CCC being so blasé about its casually dismissive attitude to racism. No, the 'P word' is racist and really is not 'casual banter', as I think you might soon find out...

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...cial-slurs-as-banter-is-a-blast-from-the-past

EnolaGaia

Staff member
If you're trying to steal a furnace it's a good idea to shut off the gas feed so you don't asphyxiate yourself at the scene of your crime.
2 people pass out from gas leak while trying to steal furnace, Winnipeg police say

Two people who police say tried to steal a furnace from a vacant Winnipeg house on the weekend had to be rescued after accidentally causing a gas leak and passing out. ...

Residents had reported an odour of natural gas, which could be smelled outside. The officers who responded noticed the strong smell coming from the house, and spotted two unresponsive people inside.

Police went in and rescued both adults, "who had been overcome by the noxious gas fumes" ...

Once outside, the pair — a man and a woman, both in their 40s — regained consciousness. ... later released without charges.

Police said they believe the two had broken into the empty house and were trying to steal the furnace when the gas feed became dislodged and caused the leak. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/winnipeg-police-gas-leak-stealing-furnace-1.6235821

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Evidence submitted in support of an alibi is more likely to win your freedom if it does not contain evidence of other felonies.
Cops: Portland man raped child, sexually assaulted dog, deer

A Portland man under investigation for child rape botched his attempt to exonerate himself after providing police with his phone — which contained videos of the suspect sexually abusing a dog and a dead or unconscious deer, authorities allege. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.koin.com/news/crime/cops-portland-man-raped-child-sexually-assaulted-dog-deer/

EnolaGaia

Staff member
This guy broke into a restaurant to feast on beer and ice cream. He wasn't at large for long ...
Police: Restaurant break-in suspect consumed beer, ice cream

Officers with a North Carolina police department appeared to have no trouble finding the suspect in a break-in, possibly because he had a stomach ache.

Asheville police say in a news release that patrol officers apprehended the man who broke into a downtown restaurant on Monday and apparently helped himself to some beer and ice cream.

According to a news release, officers responded to a business on Patton Avenue after a report of a forcible breaking and entering. The officers found open alcohol containers, and after a brief investigation, they found the suspect nearby. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/police-north-carolina-a767aba6fd2b4d8c1fd18377113d041a

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Two burglars broke into an LA area jewelry store by crashing into the shop's front, causing thousands of dollars in damage. The punch line? The replica / fake jewelry items the thieves took were worth only about $200.
Video shows burglars crashing into Westwood storefront, stealing fake jewelry

Surveillance video captured two burglars crashing into a Westwood storefront and stealing fake jewelry that was on display.

The robbers got away with $200 worth of fake merchandise, but the damage caused by the crash ranges between $15,000 to $20,000, the owners told KTLA.

The incident occurred Sunday, as law enforcement agencies investigate several violent robberies across the region. ...
FULL STORY (With Video): https://ktla.com/news/local-news/vi...to-westwood-storefront-stealing-fake-jewelry/

Last edited:

EnolaGaia

Staff member
If you're trying to evade arrest by pretending to be someone else, it's best to make sure the guy you're impersonating isn't wanted by the police.
Man posed as his brother to dodge police but brother was a wanted man

A motorist involved in two unrelated fatal traffic accidents in 2008 and 2014 was caught driving a car last year even though he had been disqualified from doing so.

In an attempt to get himself off the hook, Jason Chia Junjie, 40, gave false information to a police officer by claiming to be his younger brother.

But in a twist, the court heard that the brother was wanted by the authorities at the time and Chia was arrested. ...

The Singaporean was on Monday (Dec 13) sentenced to nine weeks' jail and fined $5,000. He was also disqualified from driving all classes of vehicles for 20 years. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...two-fatal-traffic-accidents-caught-behind-the

EnolaGaia

Staff member
This nimrod robbed a branch bank and fled outside, where he wasted valuable time attempting to deposit the newly-stolen cash into his account using the exterior ATM.
Man Allegedly Robbed Bank Then Made Deposit at ATM Outside, Del. Police Say

A man robbed a Delaware bank and then tried to deposit the cash into his own account using the ATM outside, Delaware State Police said.

State police arrested McRoberts Williams Saturday after they say he robbed the Wells Fargo on Old Capitol Trail at the Prices Corner Shopping Center in Wilmington.

The 44-year-old California man handed a teller a note saying he was robbing the bank around 11:20 a.m., police said. The 25-year-old woman then handed over an undisclosed amount of cash and Williams left the bank.

"The suspect fled the bank on foot, and once outside he made a deposit in the atm on the exterior of the building," state police said. ...

The man then ran behind the shopping center on foot where state troopers caught up to him and arrested him ...
FULL STORY: https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/national-international/bank-robber-atm-delaware/2910341/

EnolaGaia

Staff member
During the time your car is hoisted on jacks to allow you to install the tires you've just stolen said car cannot serve as a getaway vehicle.
Man attempts to elude Bellevue police in car up on jacks

Bellevue police arrested a man accused of stealing tires from a dealership and attempting to flee from police with his own car still on jacks ...

A 23-year-old man was arrested Tuesday morning after police responded to a report of theft at a dealership lot. ...

The man is accused of stealing tires off a black Dodge Challenger, then driving across the street and attempting to put the tires on his own red Dodge Challenger.

When police arrived, the man dove into his car to flee, but since his car was up on jacks to swap out the tires, the car didn’t go anywhere.

After he was arrested, police found a loaded stolen gun. ...

The man was booked into jail on seven felony warrants.
FULL STORY: https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/ma...lice-car-up-jacks/NI2QOZRUMNHIRNZOS2YMVOBTCM/

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Note to wannabe vehicle thieves and joyriders ... If you want to steal an atypical vehicle, choose something other than a large fire truck. It's big, unwieldy, and you can't lose it amidst traffic. Furthermore, firefighters have no more sense of humor than the cops about such things. In any case, the authorities can't help but be motivated to recover something worth half a million dollars.
Man Steals Fire Truck Outside Hospital, Leading to an Unusual Pursuit in Orange County

A man was arrested on suspicion of stealing a fire truck and taking it on a wild pursuit through several cities before being detained in Anaheim Tuesday.

Truck 85, a half a million dollar truck, was stolen from UCI Medical Center in Orange at 1:40 a.m. as paramedics were taking a patient to the hospital, said Capt. Greg Barta of the Orange County Fire Authority.

"As they were dropping off a patient at the hospital the truck was stolen," Barta told City News Service.

The driver traveled through many Orange County communities, including Fountain Valley and Irvine, before finally stopping in Anaheim near Ball Road and Brookhurst Street. ...

An hour later the driver finally stopped in Anaheim where a man walked up to the window as if to say “don’t go any further.”

Richard Lynn Wilson, who said he lives on the sidewalk nearby, said he put himself in the middle of the chaos on purpose.

"I just did not want the kid to get shot," he said,

The driver was taken into custody. He has not been named. ...

The truck was damaged in the chase.
SOURCE: https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/...-pursuit-chase-orange-county-anaheim/2783282/

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
A Liverpool drug gang were imprisoned recently. One had taken a photo of his seasonal decorations which included £20 notes and packs of cocaine.
Though wasn't actually stupid enough to post the photo online it was used in evidence nonetheless.

Safe Liverpool Echo link -
Drug Dealer Decorated Christmas Tree With Money And Cocoaine

I can't copy/paste from the website but it's worth a click to see the highly tasteful xmas tree. :chuckle: