• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The World's Oldest People (Documented; Verified)

Ballycastle bade their fond farewells to Ireland’s oldest citizen last week as Molly Madden was laid to rest in her 110th year.

Her passing two weekends ago in the Moy Ridge Nursing Home in Ballina was met with sadness throughout Mayo and beyond. She made history last year when she became Mayo’s oldest ever living person on August 25, overtaking the previous record of 108 years and 260 days held by Ballindine native Helena Gibbons.

Madden became the oldest person living in Ireland in December 2014 following the death of Kildare woman Margaret O’Connell at the age of 109 years. In July, she became the oldest living Irish woman following the death of Kathleen Snavely (nee Haynes), originally from Co. Clare, who died aged 113 years in Syracuse.

There were further celebrations for Madden and her family when she celebrated her 109th birthday on Dec 8 in the Moy Ridge Nursing Home.

Madden (nee Keane) was born in Galway on December 8, 1906. At the age of three, she and her family moved to the village of Kincon in north Mayo. She later moved to Ballycastle for work and married local man Pat Madden, who died in 2009. They had four children.

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/ir...f IC Jan 28&utm_term=The Best of IrishCentral

He was permanently sozzled?
I would be with that prodigious amount of wine.

"Some people, they ask me. '¿what is that brown, curved thing in your fist, Señor? A walking stick, perhaps?' . . . "

See how it glistens at the end, like his hypnotic eyes . . .

No, I don't think I'll have another Rioja tonight. :cry:

The world’s oldest documented living man has been confirmed as an Israeli Auschwitz survivor living in Haifa.

Israel Kristal, aged 112 and 178 days on 11 March, was handed a certificate at his home by a representative of the Guinness World Records confirming him as the oldest known man on the planet.

Kristal succeeded 112-year-old Yasutaro Koide of Japan, who died earlier this month. Asked about his longevity Kristal said: “I don’t know the secret for long life. I believe that everything is determined from above and we shall never know the reasons why.

“There have been smarter, stronger and better looking men than me who are no longer alive. All that is left for us to do is to keep on working as hard as we can and rebuild what is lost.”

Kristal was born in Zarnow, Poland, on 15 September 1903. When the first world war broke out in 1914, he saw Kaiser Franz Joseph in person but became separated from his parents, later moving aged 17 to Lodz to work in the family confectionery business.

He continued to work as a sweet maker in the ghetto there when it was established by the Nazis in 1940. Four years later he was sent to Auschwitz, where he lost his wife.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...man-israeli-auschwitz-survivor-israel-kristal

Reactions: Jim
The world's officially oldest man is to finally have his bar mitzvah at the age of 113 - a century after he missed it due to the outbreak of World War One.

Yisrael Kristal, who lives in Israel, will celebrate the Jewish coming-of-age ceremony with family and friends in a synagogue in Haifa, his daughter said.

Shulamit Kuperstoch said it would be a "corrective experience".

Mr Kristal was born in Poland in 1903 and survived being in the Auschwitz death camp during World War Two. ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-37375629?ocid=socialflow_twitter

Karam Chand, 110, believed to be longest-married dies

A man who was one half of what is believed to be the longest-married couple in the UK has died aged 110.

Karam Chand, of Bradford, died on Friday after 90 years of marriage to his wife Kartari.

The pair, who tied the knot in India in 1925 during the British Raj and moved to England 40 years later, have eight children and 27 grandchildren.

Mr Chand was born to a farming family, in a small rural village in the Punjab in northern India in 1905.

Mrs Chand was born in the same district in 1912 and is 103 years old.

Her husband would have celebrated his 111th birthday next month.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-37550268

When Emma Morano was born, Umberto I was still reigning over Italy, Fiat had only just been established and Milan Football Club was still a few weeks off creation.

On Tuesday, this otherwise unassuming woman marks her 117th birthday, looking back on a life which has not only spanned three centuries, but also survived an abusive marriage which started with blackmail, the loss of her only son and a diet which most would describe as anything but balanced.

Ms Morano, the oldest of eight siblings, all of whom she has outlived, was born on 29 November, 1899, in the Piedmont region of Italy.

This year, she officially became the world's oldest living woman, after American Susannah Mushatt Jones died in May, and the last person still living born in the 1800s.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38134004?ocid=socialflow_twitter

For years, Sarah Clancy treated questions about her age with disdain.

When people would inquire about to the number, she would sometimes reply “200” and other times “21”.

As the years rolled on, curiosity and speculation around the matter continued and was deepened by the fact she never celebrated her birthday.

However, the game was given away when a letter from the President of Ireland arrived with a cheque for more than €2,500, marking her centenary. Now aged 108, Ms Clancy is Ireland’s oldest citizen.

Sarah Treasa Clancy was born on May 2nd, 1908 in Sruthán, An Cheathrú Rua in Connemara.

At the same time, 15km away in Ros Muc, Patrick Pearse was scouting for a site for his cottage, which would be built in 1909. The Titanic was no more than a gleam in the eye of its owner Bruce Ismay, who sought refuge in Casla Lodge and became Ms Clancy’s neighbour after the vessel sank in 1912.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...roger-casement-1.2892589#.WEVaIbtMIjI.twitter

For years, Sarah Clancy treated questions about her age with disdain.

When people would inquire about to the number, she would sometimes reply “200” and other times “21”.

As the years rolled on, curiosity and speculation around the matter continued and was deepened by the fact she never celebrated her birthday.

However, the game was given away when a letter from the President of Ireland arrived with a cheque for more than €2,500, marking her centenary. Now aged 108, Ms Clancy is Ireland’s oldest citizen.

Sarah Treasa Clancy was born on May 2nd, 1908 in Sruthán, An Cheathrú Rua in Connemara.

At the same time, 15km away in Ros Muc, Patrick Pearse was scouting for a site for his cottage, which would be built in 1909. The Titanic was no more than a gleam in the eye of its owner Bruce Ismay, who sought refuge in Casla Lodge and became Ms Clancy’s neighbour after the vessel sank in 1912.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...roger-casement-1.2892589#.WEVaIbtMIjI.twitter

Sarah Clancy, R.I.P.

Oldest person in Ireland Sarah Clancy passes away aged 108
Sarah Clancy died in her sleep at home in Connemara.

1 hour ago 5,688 Views 9 Comments

SARAH CLANCY, WHO was the oldest person in Ireland aged 108, has died.

She passed away at home in Connemara, the Irish Times reports. The paper had profiled her life earlier this month.

Clancy was born on 2 May 1908 in Connemara. She emigrated to Boston as an adult before returning to Sruthán in Galway in 1988.

She died in her sleep at home, the Connacht Tribune reports. ...

http://www.thejournal.ie/sarah-clancy-oldest-person-death-3161527-Dec2016/?utm_source=shortlink

I do wonder about people born in the 50s, 60s & 70s will any of us survive until we're over a hundred years plus?

Last edited:
I do wonder about people born in the 50s, 60s & 70s will any of us survive until we're over a hundred years plus?
In theory, yes. Contextual potentiality. Enablement by the era. Aspiration, hope, expectation.

But: the acturial statistics of mortality has many a devil in the detail....and those devils sit upon each of our backs. For every sprightly centenarian still spitting in the eye of the grim reaper, there are many middle-and-later (not old) age victims, falling early to the scythe.

It's all very well to say we should anticipate more years to our lives. And the inverse truism, of more life being imparted to our years can be, in practise, not that much easier to attain either (for many of us). Of course, the dual sweet-spot (of a both truly-happy and a long& healthy, life) is really really difficult to achieve, and, impossible to fully-plan for.

We can hope: but we cannot presume. And we should be cautious about what we receive within any (in particular, extended) allocation.

Whilst we tend not to fall victims to sabre-toothed tigers, plague or the sword, there are so many other much-more merciless miniature mechanistic monsters, internally toiling away, towards our unimportant predeterminable dooms.

The world's oldest person has died in Italy at the age of 117, reports say.

Emma Morano was born on 29 November 1899 in the Piedmont region of Italy. She was officially the last person born in the 1800s still living.

She had attributed her longevity to her genetics and a diet of three eggs a day, two of them raw.

Ms Morano was the oldest of eight siblings, all of whom she has outlived. She died at her home in the northern city of Verbania.

Her life not only spanned three centuries but also survived an abusive marriage, the loss of her only son, two World Wars and more than 90 Italian governments.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39610937

World's oldest man, Auschwitz survivor Yisrael Kristal dies
The world's oldest man - the only member of his immediate family to survive the Holocaust - has died at the age of 113.

Polish-born Yisrael Kristal died on Friday, a month before he was due to turn 114, Israeli media reported.

Mr Kristal, who lived in Haifa, Israel, hit the headlines last year after deciding to celebrate his bar mitzvah a century late.

The original celebration had not taken place because World War One broke out. ...

FULL STORY: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-40904907

According to the news worlds oldest person died recently at 117 a woman in
I think Jamaca, she put her long life down to eating everything except
pork chicken and rum.
The worlds oldest person is now thought to be a woman in Japan again 117 years young.

Not quite the oldest yet but the whiskey might get her there. She's a sprightly 111 year old: She lives on her own, reads every day and watches television

Her friends call her "Amazing Grace," a tribute to the fact that she’s 111, still has her wits about her and is in stellar health.

The secret to her longevity, she says, is quaffing a healthy slug of Scotch whisky every night before bed.

“She’s been doing it for 58 years,” says her 79-year-old daughter, Deidre McCarthy. "She swears by it."

Grace Jones celebrated her birthday this weekend with back-to-back parties.

“She had a wonderful party on Saturday, followed by a lovely party on Sunday,” her daughter said in a phone interview from her home in Britain.

McCarthy called her mother Monday to see how she was doing, expecting to hear the birthday girl was a little tired. ...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/good-...ng-life-to-whisky-she-swears-by-it/ar-AAs8UhK

Grace Jones, eh?

Friends wife who was in her late 70's said to me "my mom is coming up to see us"
I must have looked a bit doubtful as she said "it's true, she lives in Portsmouth"
we are near Fleetwood, apparently the mother still went shopping on her own drank
quarter of a bottle of vodka a day and smoked 40 fags had done for years and
was coming up on her own on the train god knows how old she was but even if
she was a teenage mother she must have been in her 90's, my friends wife died
only a few years later and I suspect the mother was still going strong.

The Voddie and fags are the secret!

The world’s oldest man has made the record books – with the help of cake, samurai films and sumo wrestling.

Masazo Nonaka, aged 112 years and 259 days, has just been certified by the Guinness Book of Records as the oldest man alive.

Mr Nonaka might be the oldest man in the world but he is not even the oldest person in Japan.

Nabi Tajima, aged 117, is expected to be certified as the world’s new oldest person, outlasting Violet Moss-Brown of Jamaica, who died in September at the age of 117.

http://metro.co.uk/2018/04/10/world...-the-help-of-cake-and-sumo-wrestling-7455721/

Reactions: Jim
Nabi Tajima, who was the world’s oldest living person until yesterday, has passed away. The 117-years- 261-days-old super centenarian Japanese woman held the Guinnees World Record for being the oldest person alive.
She was also the oldest recorded Japanese and Asian person in history and the world’s third oldest person ever to be validated by modern standards.

She was the last person in the Guinness World Records to be born in the 19th century and stay alive till the 21st century. Tajima was born on 4 August 1900 and had a life experience of living in three centuries.

https://thehushpost.com/world/worlds-oldest-woman-no-more-nabi-tajima-dies-at-117-years-261-days/

Back