• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Worst Tarot Deck In The World

zarathustraspake

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Last night I was talking a friend who is an expert on tarot, and she showed me what has to be the most hilariously awful tarot deck I've ever seen.

The deck was called...wait for it...the Love Is In The Earth Crystal Tarot.

Let's just take a moment to savour that name, and all the horrendous New Agey fluffiness that it implies. The Love Is In The Earth Crystal Tarot.

But here's the most wonderfully brilliant thing about this deck. In the accompanying booklet, they dedicated it to "the Grand Master Aleister Crowley" and declared the deck to be the next step on from Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot.

Imagine, if you will, how pleased Crowley would be to know that his life's legacy would be taken on its next step by the Love Is In The Earth Crystal Tarot.

As it happens, there was another friend in the room last night who is a practicing Thelemite, and I passed the deck over to him and asked him if he thought Crowley would be impressed by it. He picked up the deck, gazed at a random card and suddenly exploded, "PRINCE OF CRYSTAL LASERS????????"

I also noticed that the Lust/Strength card had been renamed "Enthusiasm."

Oh dear me. Fluffbunny Thelemites. Whatever next?

love-earth-crystal-03438.jpg

love-earth-crystal-03442.jpg

SOURCE: https://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/love-earth-crystal/

Last edited by a moderator:
zarathustraspake said:
Last night I was talking a friend who is an expert on tarot, and she showed me what has to be the most hilariously awful tarot deck I've ever seen.

Quite agree 1 look at the link and...
This decks by "melody" who wrote the worst books I ever read about crystal stuff, so no great surprise there. Personally I think she's nuts and after money

morningstar667 said:
zarathustraspake said:

Quite agree 1 look at the link and...
This decks by "melody" who wrote the worst books I ever read about crystal stuff, so no great surprise there. Personally I think she's nuts and after money

Yes, I noticed the author tag on the cover saying "Melody". It had a couple of pictures of musical notes next to her name, which just added to the monumental wrongness of it all.

Very funny the two above posts, you see some diabolicaly bad Tarot decks in cheap bookshops a pack and a book for a couple of quid. :lol:

Not `that` bad, surley?

<Kondoru is going to have nightmares tonight,. be sure of it.>

zarathustraspake said:
He picked up the deck, gazed at a random card and suddenly exploded, "PRINCE OF CRYSTAL LASERS????????"
Now that's funny... :lol:

crunchy5 said:
Very funny the two above posts, you see some diabolicaly bad Tarot decks in cheap bookshops a pack and a book for a couple of quid. :lol:

I find them useful as you can write notes/add symbols/draw pictures on them with no qualms and expand upon the book. Always useful for the aspiring witch or magician. There's no reason why they should be so bloody expensive anyway.

razorblimp said:
I find them useful as you can write notes/add symbols/draw pictures on them with no qualms and expand upon the book. Always useful for the aspiring witch or magician. There's no reason why they should be so bloody expensive anyway.

Why not just buy a pack of Post-It notes?

zarathustraspake said:
razorblimp said:

Why not just buy a pack of Post-It notes?

Ever tried shuffling a pack of Post-It notes?

I tried to get hold of those Hello Kitty ones a while back but they sold out everywhere. I use brian Frouds' Faeries Oracle.
TheSagesmall.jpg

TheMaidensmall.jpg

TheJourneymansmall.jpg

zarathustraspake said:
Rather sticky I would imagine.

And I'd find them stuck to the fridge door with shopping lists added by my wife, and wonder what milk and bread actually had to do with the understanding of the universe.

I got a divination 'kit', from one of those cheap bookshops. It came with the Royal Tarot, which for some reason I can't seem to get rid of; it is notorious for it's poor artwork. What is the lion doing in this image exactly?!!:

Image link is dead. No archived version matching apparent description found.
The Royal Tarot is described as:

The Royal Tarot (also known as the Mystic Tarot) is a Taiwan-published deck that has 78 cards and calls itself Tarot, but has little depth or meaning to its images.
By Unknown
Tarot Deck - 78 Cards
Published by Kuo Kau Paper Products Co.
https://web.archive.org/web/20060304222316/http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/royal/

However, the pack came with an excellent book on the I Ching and one of the best pendulums I've used as well as a good starter on various other divination techniques.

For the most part, I tend to stick with the thoth tarot as it seems to be an honest pack and works on different levels ...

https://web.archive.org/web/2006031...ectic.net/tarot/cards/aleister-crowley-thoth/

The Lion is hungry and is desparatley trying to get the womans attention for a tin of whiskas.

The woman is lookiing smug because she knows its cheapo supermarket own brand tonight.

Hello Kitty tarot? Cool!

Personally, I'm still a big fan of Crowley's Thoth tarot.

Hello Kitty?

Dire but not soul destroying dire in new age suckitness.

We did a Gatchaman Tarot some years back but it was concept art only.

Re: Worst Tarot deck

tarot_man said:
The Alcohol Tarot is a rather unpleasent colection of photographed beer bottles and not much else.

cheers!

Bet you started seeing a few visions in those cards though. ;)

Sacred Path Cards

Though not strictly Tarot, my own card-reading began, and stays, with these:
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/sacred-path/

A fine beginning, and although I really got into them early on, I'm just not sure how to proceed to actually use them on a daily (or at least more frequent) basis. I'm very familiar with the idea of Tarot, but I just can seem to commit to using it frequently enough for it to be practical.

I suppose I may just not be a card person; I'm more intuitive, especially with ceremonies.

<->Just my 2/100ths of a dollar

The Motherpeace tarot deck makes me puke in both design and concept. The cards are circular (you can't have a "negative" reading, you see, because they can't be upside down) and involve lots of bosomy, nurturing, muesli-knitting imagery. Tarot of the Cat people, however, pleases me enormously, although it is a bit silly. I think the cats depicted on it probably do weird stuff after you've put the pack away to affect your reading :p , cos cats are like that.

It would be gruesome at best, but I think I would pay just to see a "Smily" tarot deck, done by someone with a dark, dark sense of humor. :twisted:

Worked in a new age type witchy shop for a year or so, cant begin to list some of the vile decks on offer but one I really liked was the Druid Craft Tarot. just because of Cernunnos was a bit hot.[/i]

miss_scarlet said:
...but one I really liked was the Druid Craft Tarot. just because of Cernunnos was a bit hot.[/i]

So he was a 'horny' as well as a 'horned' god?

miss_scarlet said:
Worked in a new age type witchy shop for a year or so, cant begin to list some of the vile decks on offer but one I really liked was the Druid Craft Tarot. just because of Cernunnos was a bit hot.[/i]

The Druid Craft Tarot? I think I've seen that one. Nice artwork as I recall. I don't think I had any sexual attractions to any of the cards, though.

But the Cosmic Tribe Tarot, on the other hand....now THERE'S a tarot deck with pr0n potential. ;)

Back