The Wuhan Coronavirus: Conspiracy Theories & Claims

Zeke Newbold

Carbon based biped.
Russian state television company Channel One have promoted the possibility that Trump is somehow behind the Corona Virus! Some of the `evidence` for thus includes the fact that - wait for it - Trump handed out crowns on a regualr basis in a former role as a compere for Miss America contests -( and `corona` means crown, you see).

In fairness, the broadcaster did qualify it all with a statement to the effect that this was `only a conspiracy theory`.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2020...y-theory-blaming-trump-for-coronavirus-a69189

gerhard1

Abominable Snowman
Oh my gosh!!!

Shades of my novel The Pale Horse!!! You all should buy it while you are still in the land of the living!!!!

Obviously said in jest.

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
Just popping my (obv. isolation-suited) head above the parapet to say it didn't get me yet. I'm calling in here every so often to be nosy but not been posting. My pedantic strings have been twanged overmuch recently by the media coverage of the novel coronavirus outbreak, having been a biologist in a past life. This was the result, posted for the entertainment of social media 'friends'

"The difference between 'a' and 'the' and some perspective:
The outbreak of a new infection originating in China is not 'the coronavirus' per se - it's *A* new coronavirus affecting humans. As with previous coronavirus outbreaks (eg SARS) it's probably crossed from an animals to humans somewhere along the line.
About half of 'common colds', some influenzas and similar 'fluey' bugs are caused by coronaviruses. The name refers to the shape of the virus. If you've had a bad cold recently, it was probably *A* coronavirus.
I would hazard a guess that the people who have so tragically died from it may have already been vulnerable to respiratory tract infection and resulting pneumonia - the elderly, the already poorly and those with depressed immune systems.
So be aware, be careful - but don't panic *smiley face*"

If it is affecting, and killing, younger and healthier folks then it has some similarities with the 1918 'Spanish Flu' pandemic and the 'Sweating Sickness' of the 15th & 16th centuries. An interesting one to ponder.

Oh, and pay attention to Beaker:

beaker-panic.jpg

I don't want people to think I'm obsessing over this thing, I've got an underlying condition where a common cold or simple chest infection can have me in hospital (Alpha1-Antitrypsin Deficiency PI-zz) This thing would have me through the Pearly Gates so fast that Saint Peter wouldn't have the chance to point at me and laugh hysterically, then utter the words 'SOD OFF'.

tuco

Junior Acolyte
I don't want people to think I'm obsessing over this thing, I've got an underlying condition where a common cold or simple chest infection can have me in hospital (Alpha1-Antitrypsin Deficiency PI-zz) This thing would have me through the Pearly Gates so fast that Saint Peter wouldn't have the chance to point at me and laugh hysterically, then utter the words 'SOD OFF'.
You should be very careful, I have a supressed immune system (delayed recovery from chemo) and am doing everything I can to avoid any virus, as to catch one would be the end for me too, so take care, this is very serious for people in our condition. Have you had flue and pnumonia jab ? if not wear a mask going to the doctor - lots of sick people !

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.
Evidence that the Corona Virus was in existance as far back as the 1970s!
Simply put, there are more than one variant of the coronavirus. In fact SARS, and MERS were both forms of Coronavirus, and in many ways MERS is worse than the present virus which is presently called variously "COVID-19", "2019-nCoV", "SARS-CoV-2" or Novel Coronavirus in common parlance. No doubt this virus has been kicking around in some form for a very long time; they tend to. Half the battle of any problem is getting an accurate diagnosis after all.

As to all you unfortunate folk with compromised immune systems, I am pleased to hear you are taking this seriously. I would suggest that the period when we should all be the most concerned is in March 2020. If the bug has successfully jumped quarantine and is out in the general community, that is when it will be most infectious. The really shitty thing about COVID-19 is that it is most infectious while it is incubating i.e. when it isn't showing any symptoms. The fact is that anyone could have the damn thing and not be showing any symptoms. It's insidious.

You should be very careful, I have a supressed immune system (delayed recovery from chemo) and am doing everything I can to avoid any virus, as to catch one would be the end for me too, so take care, this is very serious for people in our condition. Have you had flue and pnumonia jab ? if not wear a mask going to the doctor - lots of sick people !
Yeah I've had flu jab this year as per usual. Had pneumonia jab about 5 years ago (it's good for 10 years). Thing is that the pneumonia jab only protects against the 27 most common types of the virus, when I asked the nurse how many types there are she said they don't know, which was a great comfort.
In other news, China has sacked 2 of it's top health bosses for fudging the figures and as a result there are over 15,000 more reported cases as of today. Unreported cases (not tested) are thought to be over 400,000 in Wuhan alone. 2020 really hates us humans.

Schrodinger's Zebra

My joints go out more than I do
Walking alone through the afternoon traffic...
The headline in the paper yesterday had a photo of a man and the text: "This man may be a super-spreader" ie a Typhoid Mary.
That seemed insidious.
It's a tad unfair to the poor chap, making it seem as if he somehow infected them all on purpose.*

Odd that he managed to infect so many people though.

*(Yes I know the news articles aren't saying that, but they're not not saying it either, and it just takes a gullible few who read headlines and get all het up).

tuco

Junior Acolyte
Yeah I've had flu jab this year as per usual. Had pneumonia jab about 5 years ago (it's good for 10 years). Thing is that the pneumonia jab only protects against the 27 most common types of the virus, when I asked the nurse how many types there are she said they don't know, which was a great comfort.
In other news, China has sacked 2 of it's top health bosses for fudging the figures and as a result there are over 15,000 more reported cases as of today. Unreported cases (not tested) are thought to be over 400,000 in Wuhan alone. 2020 really hates us humans.
Glad to hear you've had the jabs, they all help, I am keeping my head down at the moment, and will be asking for a telephone appointment if I need a doctors advice, keep well and look after yourself, cheers tuco

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
Interesting to note re. 1918 'Spanish Flu' pandemic (recently proved to be a H1N1 variant strain), the 'Swine Flu' (also H1N1) and of this outbreak is the number of relatively young and healthy people suddenly struck down - I went researching online and found the proposed answer.

Cytokine storm - when a strong and healthy immune system has such a strong reaction that it essentially kills the patient, rather than the virus itself. It kills in hours, rather than the days that secondary bacterial pneumonia affecting those with poor immune systems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytokine_release_syndrome

It's also a known risk of administering biological medicines (the family of drugs that includes interferons, monoclonal antibodies and TNFs) used to treat some cancers and autoimmune disorders. It was this kind of drug that triggered the clinical trial near-tragedy 13 years ago when six men almost died (remember that one?).

My father is very immuno-compromised at the moment, having had to undergo several months of aggressive bio- & chemotherapy for an acute blood cancer. He doesn't go further than his home town, and avoids crowded places and busy times of day. Hand gel and washing to the fore, too.

The best advice I heard (several years ago when vulnerable to infection) is to stay put and avoid travelling far, busy places and crowded environments. Hunker down and wait it out!

The NHS website tells me there are over 90 identified sub-strains of Streptococcus pneumoniae - though many aren't responsible for serious infections. A jab gives you protection from almost 30% of known strains, by my reckoning :)

The adult PPV is a vaccine prepared from 23 various sub-strains of the bacterium Streptococcus pneumoniae - to give the widest effective protection. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pneumococcal_polysaccharide_vaccine

The NHS is now recommending a baby jab of PCV (similar to the above) from January 2020 to all children under a certain age.

Last edited:

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.
The question being asked around the water cooler is whether this is China's Chernobyl moment. Incidentally the death rate is running at 6.3% per infection.

tuco

Junior Acolyte
Interesting to note re. 1918 'Spanish Flu' pandemic (recently proved to be a H1N1 variant strain), the 'Swine Flu' (also H1N1) and of this outbreak is the number of relatively young and healthy people suddenly struck down - I went researching online and found the proposed answer.

Cytokine storm - when a strong and healthy immune system has such a strong reaction that it essentially kills the patient, rather than the virus itself. It kills in hours, rather than the days that secondary bacterial pneumonia affecting those with poor immune systems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytokine_release_syndrome

It's also a known risk of administering biological medicines (the family of drugs that includes interferons, monoclonal antibodies and TNFs) used to treat some cancers and autoimmune disorders. It was this kind of drug that triggered the clinical trial near-tragedy 13 years ago when six men almost died (remember that one?).

My father is very immuno-compromised at the moment, having had to undergo several months of aggressive bio- & chemotherapy for an acute blood cancer. He doesn't go further than his home town, and avoids crowded places and busy times of day. Hand gel and washing to the fore, too.

The best advice I heard (several years ago when vulnerable to infection) is to stay put and avoid travelling far, busy places and crowded environments. Hunker down and wait it out!

The NHS website tells me there are over 90 identified sub-strains of Streptococcus pneumoniae - though many aren't responsible for serious infections. A jab gives you protection from almost 30% of known strains, by my reckoning :)

The adult PPV is a vaccine prepared from 23 various sub-strains of the bacterium Streptococcus pneumoniae - to give the widest effective protection. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pneumococcal_polysaccharide_vaccine

The NHS is now recommending a baby jab of PCV (similar to the above) from January 2020 to all children under a certain age.
Thanks for the info Anonyjoolz, I'm in the same situation as your father and really you can't be too careful, I shop early and use self service checkouts, I am currently well hunkered down ! that's one of the reasons I'm on on the forum, just hope I don't catch a computer virus.