• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The yeti in the Reinhold Messner museum Bolzano Alps

newbear

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
It was donated by Ernst Schaefer's widow and shot by him in the 1930s. I just wondered what people from the Himalayas made of it... whether it was what they thought a yeti looked like and also Christophe Hagenmuller who featured in the Bigfoot Files documentary that recently aired whether it was similar to the one he was shown by hunters. I presume he must have seen it now.

Hello newbear and welcome to the forum.

Firstly regarding the Messner and Hagenmuller skins it doesn't matter whether they're alike or not as they're both stuffed mounts. That is skins stretched across a man made support, and we know for certain that the Messner specimen has been deliberately distorted to make it look bizarre. So when the people of the Himalayas last saw it it'd have looked nothing like it does now. In short it's little more than a hoax.

As for your other post, whether there's a good yeti or cryptozoology forum, this one is quite good but very quiet. On the rare occasions when it's busy it can be very good. There are a few regular posters each with very different perspectives but who are all very knowledgeable, not just about current events but also these stories' historical contexts. There are several such threads about Asian wildmen, the Almasty and a compendium thread on bigfoot.

Also the thylacine is pretty well covered.

Another good website is Cryptozoology.com , its tone is predominantly sceptical though. Like me.

thanks. i've not been able to find hardly anything else about messner's stuffed yeti on the internet.

Back