• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Yowie

Browsing elsewhere, I have just discovered this excellent little E-Book titled 'You Kids Count Your Shadows - Hairymen & Other Aboriginal Folklore In New South Wales'.
A re-telling of Aboriginal (First Nations people) encounters with Yowies, little hairy men, bunyips and other spiritual & supernatural beings.
At only 40 ages long, it's worth reading...

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/63034197/you-kids-count-your-shadows-digital
Well spotted, that sounds great.

An article I just stumbled upon about one of Australia's most well known Yowie hunters:

Inside the lives of Australia's 'Yowie Hunters'​

Dean Harrison packs his camping gear, binoculars and thermal imagery camera, about to lead a multi-day expedition through south-east Queensland's rainforests in search of the Australian Yowie.
He's known as the country's leading Yowie expert among cryptozoology circles, and has been tracking the elusive and controversial creature for over 24 years.
Now 52, Mr Harrison describes the encounter he believes changed his life, inspiring him to create the world's first and most comprehensive online database, dedicated to finding the Yowie, known as Australia's "Big Foot."
https://www.9news.com.au/national/i...jE2a4VkdpMEG63GAAGxvgWwmygj0qjmbbJEvufytX_j_4

If the name sells them, why not?

X-yowiedroppings.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think I could sell coconuts as yowie eggs?

A 3 part podcast on YouTube described thusly:

"An Australian aboriginal elder goes into detail about encounters with the 'Yowie', Dooligahl and Brown Jacks."

A 20 year old Yowie encounter makes the news...

‘This is the end’: Dean Harrison tells of near-death experience with a yowie​

When Dean Harrison went for an evening run on a fateful Tuesday night in 1997, he didn’t expect it to end with his life flashing before his eyes.
Dean was in Ormeau, a town between Brisbane and the Gold Coast, and went for his usual run along a bush track an hour before midnight.

He would exercise along this track frequently without a second thought. But what he didn’t know was there was something lurking in the bushes, waiting for the perfect time to attack.

It was an encounter that went on to shape the course of his life.
https://www.news.com.au/technology/...e/news-story/b28c3e7a5d7beeb7a9d98998b6e76f63

After a 17 year gap, Healy and Cropper have published another Yowie book - the Yowie File. Its more of a casebook, an update to their 2006 book.

Attachments

• ebookcover.jpg
    ebookcover.jpg
    972 KB · Views: 7
After a 17 year gap, Healy and Cropper have published another Yowie book - the Yowie File. Its more of a casebook, an update to their 2006 book.
Thank you Herbert. I've incorporated your post into the main Yowie thread.

More from Healey and Cooper here:

"In The Yowie we devoted an entire chapter to Indigenous yowie lore, showing that many, if not most, Aboriginal people, from Cape York Peninsula right down the east coast to Victoria, across to South Australia, Western Australia and up to the Northern Territory, strongly believe in the existence of hair-covered, man-like or ape-like creatures. Their many cultures have different terms for them – doolagarl, thoolagarl, nooncoonah, jimbra, tjangara, puttikan and jurrawarra, to name but a few."

https://www.thefortean.com/2023/05/23/last-word-on-the-yowie/

A documentary on the Yowie I've just come across on YouTube:

The Yowie of our Nation (Documentary)
(From the Uploader)
Watch a documentary of the Australian version of Bigfoot, Known as the Yowie. Follow my journey as I talk to the locals about their knowledge and experiences. Is the Yowie truely out there is the Australian Bushland, find out with the next chapter of this amazing story.

Paul Bestal interviews the legendary Tony Healy on the yowie and other cryptids.

I'm currently halfway through this book at the moment and it's great. Australia has an amazing (mostly free) resource called TROVE a digitized archive of newspapers and periodicals dating back two centuries where the bulk of of the historic reports came from.
There's quite a number of reports both historical and current around the area that I live ad I believe that I know the young woman who had the 2012 sighting in the town of Wingello, NSW.
A great podcast (as always) and a great book if you have even a scant interest in the Yowie.

I'm currently halfway through this book at the moment and it's great. Australia has an amazing (mostly free) resource called TROVE a digitized archive of newspapers and periodicals dating back two centuries where the bulk of of the historic reports came from.
There's quite a number of reports both historical and current around the area that I live ad I believe that I know the young woman who had the 2012 sighting in the town of Wingello, NSW.
A great podcast (as always) and a great book if you have even a scant interest in the Yowie.
Will be starting it soon and reviewing it for FT.

Back