• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Yowie

Another Yowie sighting with a bit of mobile phone footage (rather inconclusive). Interesting nonetheless. Click the link below to visit the page for the video:

A curious piece of footage from Australia purportedly shows some kind of creature lurking in a forest and some viewers suspect that it might be the Bigfoot of Down Under, known as the Yowie. The intriguing scene, which can be seen below, was reportedly recorded by Mark Demetriou while he was panning for gold in the country's Imbil State Forest. As he was tapping out a bucket to clean it, suddenly a large log came flying towards him from the nearby woods.

Following that weird moment, Demetriou said in a post on Facebook, "I had a feeling I was being watched as the bush went silent for a few minutes." When he looked toward the area where the tossed log had originated, he recalled, there was something "large and black" looking back at him. Demetriou subsequently pulled out his cell phone and filmed the oddity and, at one point, says to the mysterious creature "I can see you looking at me. C'mon, you can come out."
https://www.coasttocoastam.com/article/watch-australian-man-films-yowie

Here's a clipping from the Sydney Morning Herald from 1877. Particularly interesting to me because I moved from Sydney to Sutton Forest in the Southern Highlands of New South Wales when I was 14. It's still a farming village, though not somewhere I could picture a Yowie living these days as there are no dense areas of thick vegetation or bush remaining. More interesting as I now live in the town that was once called 'Jordan's Crossing'. It sits on the edge of a national park and a number of Yowie sightings and foot prints have been recorded in this area and in nearby town over the past couple of decades.

suttonforestyowie.jpg

The image was originally found on the Yowie Hunters forum:
https://www.yowiehunters.com.au/media-clips/1701-1877-sydney-morning-herald-yowie-article

Also available from their Facebook page:

A short article from the Sydney Morning Herald dated 12th October, 1877 pertaining to a Yowie sighting near Moss Vale (south of Sydney).
https://www.facebook.com/2009388933...U-kyerhXvpjCmMapWDXsbSHuNT6XC8tj&__tn__=EHH-R

Article on the recent bushfires and the impact they've had on the Yowie:

Yowie hunter claims recent lack of sightings of the mysterious beast is because bushfires have driven the hairy Bigfoot-like creature deeper inland
  • Queensland's yowie population has taken a hit following devastating bushfires
  • Dean Harrison from Australian Yowie Research has studied yowies for 20 years
  • He said the Hinterland fires forced yowies further inland due to dangers

Australia's yowie population has taken a hit following the devastating bushfire season, according to a supposed expert.

Dean Harrison from Australian Yowie Research has been studying the mythical creatures for 20 years and claims to have had many encounters with the hairy beasts on Queensland's Gold Coast.

He said there had been a 'change in behaviour as' bushfires forced yowies further inland.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...said-yowies-escaped-Queensland-bushfires.html

Is there any evidence that yowies (if they exist) would be any better at avoiding the bushfires than any other large mammal in Australia?

Is there any evidence that yowies (if they exist) would be any better at avoiding the bushfires than any other large mammal in Australia?

I would doubt it given the roughly estimated number of one billion animal lives lost in the recent fires and that's not counting insect, bird and small reptiles/amphibians lost.

Has there been any analysis of the impact on the Aboriginal communities specifically? I've read stuff about the general human population but am wondering.

Some footage that's just been posted both on YouTube and on the Australian Yowie Research Forum this week.

The first part shows what they're claiming to be a shapeshifting Yowie. I think it's just a tree and a case of pareidolia, the second half though does seem to suggest (although not too clearly) that there may be something moving, possibly sitting, then standing and moving away, just meters away from the person filming.

As always with this stuff, it's interesting, but far from conclusive.

The Yowie Forum where the video is discussed: http://www.yowiehunters.net/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=6581

A video by Aussie comedian Isaac Butterfield. He takes a look at the Yowie and goes looking for it with some seasoned researchers/explorers. There's some strong language used here so NSFW and some more unusual theories (ie: Yowies are interdimensional beings), but it's probably worth an hour of your time.

Hunting For Australia's Bigfoot (The Yowie)

Someone's put a lot of time & effort into this: An interactive map of Australia listing known Yowie sightings/encounters.
Clicking on the relevant coloured markers brings up information on the encounter. Clicking then on the text takes you to the relevant information on the Yowie Hunters website or YouTube.
The markers are colour coded into audio, video & written reports.
This is well done.

https://studiopentagon.info/stats/yowiemap.php

Again, we see the non-physical suggestions for what some cryptozoologists would conclude are claims of a real animal. This has become more prevalent in cryptozoology (though it was there from the early days).

A recent interview with Dean Harrison, one of the more dedicated Yowie hunters giving his thoughts, insights & opinions on the topic:

Quick question which I've not managed to find out. Did the Yowie's historically "wood knock" before say 1960 or is it a recent thing they do?
Good question. Ill have to look that up. I'm away for the next week or so but i'll look into it. I know that there are accounts of them hurling rocks and weilding clubs.

On the free streaming service https://tubitv.com/home I have just watched a documentary called 'Track - Search for Australia's Bigfoot' About a group of dedicated researched looking for Yowies in the Blue Mountains, just west of Sydney.

Looking it up online I found this description:

After his own horrifying encounters, the producer returns to Australia’s Blue Mountains where he believes numerous habitats exist for what is commonly known as Bigfoot. Exploring an uncharted region, he discovers evidence that may suggest a possible hunting ground. A countdown begins to an organised expedition. The producer begins his initial inquiries by interviewing a researcher who claims to have not only recorded howls from a Bigfoot, but captured one on camera. To investigate this claim, a university lecturer is asked to assess the video and then visit the site where the recording took place. What are people actually seeing? To answer this fundamental question, we interview Cryptozoologists, researchers and a university associate professor in biodiversity. Weeks before the expedition, the producer and two other researchers visit a different area in the Blue Mountains as a preliminary exercise before the main event. What they uncover was something they did not expect.

It's not too bad, though not enlightening either. There's no startling conclusions though some wonderful scenery and some possible evidence provided. Lots of first hand stories recounted. Not a way to spend an hour if you're interested in such things.

Quick question which I've not managed to find out. Did the Yowie's historically "wood knock" before say 1960 or is it a recent thing they do?

Good question. Ill have to look that up. I'm away for the next week or so but i'll look into it. I know that there are accounts of them hurling rocks and weilding clubs.

Did you ever find anything out about Yowie's wood knocking? No pressure obviously.

I've had a look through all of the Yowie stuff I've got. There are a few records from pre-1960 or so (Rex Gilroy claims to have 3000 sightings on record, but he's not regarded as the most reliable), but none mention woodknocks specifically, however they do mention undefined noises in the undergrowth, and in one case a Yowie picks up a stout stick and disappears into the bush.

I've asked about, I'll let you know if anyone comes back with anything.

EDIT - courtesy of Gary Opit, apparently there is an account from c1900. Knocking is heard, and an Aboriginal guide says it's a "strange blackfellow" striking a tree. It disconcerts he and the other guides sufficiently to mount guard until dawn. There is a caveat, however - there are other things in the Bush which can make knocking or knocking-like noises, so whilst it is unlikely native bushmen would mistake them, to casual listeners it would be relatively difficult to discern what caused it. This could of course go both ways (hear a Yowie, assume a woodpecker, etc).

Last edited:
I've had a look through all of the Yowie stuff I've got. There are a few records from pre-1960 or so (Rex Gilroy claims to have 3000 sightings on record, but he's not regarded as the most reliable), but none mention woodknocks specifically, however they do mention undefined noises in the undergrowth, and in one case a Yowie picks up a stout stick and disappears into the bush.

I've asked about, I'll let you know if anyone comes back with anything.

EDIT - apparently there is an account from c1900. Knocking is heard, and an Aboriginal guide says it's a "strange blackfellow" striking a tree. It disconcerts he and the other guides sufficiently to mount guard until dawn. There is a caveat, however - there are other things in the Bush which can make knocking or knocking-like noises, so whilst it is unlikely native bushmen would mistake them, to casual listeners it would be relatively difficult to discern what caused it. This could of course go both ways (hear a Yowie, assume a woodpecker, etc).

Thanks, Stu that's exactly what I was looking for. I was asking as I was wondering if there was a cultural component to how these cryptids are perceived and wondered if witness accounts from the US have influenced witness accounts in Oz over the years.

Basically, I noticed that wood knocking has now become a standard and accepted part of Bigfoot behavior over the last 40 odd years, but it wasn't always such a big thing. I also noticed that wood knocks have much more recently been attributed to modern encounters with the Yowie.

So did the Yowie knock before it became popular with his/her American cousins?

If it did then that's a Bigfoot behavior that has been replicated by a creature thousands of miles away when there couldn't have possibly been a shared knowledge of that behavior - which is pretty mindblowing.

Last edited:
So did the Yowie knock before it became popular with his/her American cousins?
I imagine the same condition as above applies - before a link was made, it may well have just not been noticed. There are loads of false positives in modern Squatch hunting though, especially when the knocks are heard in isolation with no other indications, and in British Bigfootery it's rife (second only to fallen branches being identified as "obvious" signs of Bigfoot inhabitation in municipal parks, people's gardens, etc.)

Recent thermal footage captured by the Australian Yowie Hunters Group in the Gold Coast Hinterland, Queensland.

Follow up examination of the footage plus some extras:

Recent thermal footage captured by the Australian Yowie Hunters Group in the Gold Coast Hinterland, Queensland.

Follow up examination of the footage plus some extras:

Interesting videos.

According to the comments, the media was notified of the videos. I'm wondering why they aren't a news story. (Though I can't see news reports from the Gold Coast paper because I'm not a subscriber.) Terrible crap gets put on the news as evidence of cryptids (particularly Nessie sightings). These are better, particularly the Mississippi heat signature still shot shown at the end of the second video. I don't think I can be convinced by photos or FLIR footage because of the potential for fakery but that doesn't mean many others won't be impressed by it. I'd be curious to hear more. The research presented by these groups on youtube or website is not always well-documented in a report with details. For example, I had to search for Angela in Holly Springs Mississippi because it was just mentioned in passing. That's a bit weird to me.

Interesting videos.
According to the comments, the media was notified of the videos. I'm wondering why they aren't a news story. ...
The story didn't seem to have been picked up by the press until today.
Yowie researcher Dean Harrison reveals ‘proof’ creature exists
MAY 24, 20215:40PM

A Queensland-based yowie researcher claims to have uncovered fresh evidence that Australia’s version of Big Foot actually exists.

A Queensland-based yowie researcher has claimed he’s uncovered fresh evidence that Australia’s version of Big Foot actually does exist.

Dean Harrison, who has been tracking the elusive creature for decades, released new video from a recent trip to the Gold Coast hinterland, producing what he said is the most significant evidence of the yowie’s existence to date.

The clip, taken on May 4 at Springbrook National Park using thermal technology, shows what Mr Harrison said are two “nine-feet tall yowies” in the wild.

Speaking to Sunrise this morning, Mr Harrison said the night vision shows “something hugging a tree” before two “huge” yowies “step out” into view. ...

“We estimated that they must have been at least nine feet (2.75m) tall and they made no noise arriving and no noise leaving that area,” he said.

“We wouldn’t have known if anything was there if it wasn’t for the thermal cameras.”

Mr Harrison, who has led several overnight yowie-hunting “expeditions” over the last month to the national park, told the show he was “excited” to make the major find. ...

Mr Harrison said he was undeterred by people who dismiss the footage as doctored, or that claim the creatures are mythical, saying those who have had encounters motivate him to keep searching. ...
FULL STORY (With News Video): https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/r...s/news-story/548e364c7d9bf54f12b8c1e8608e52f6

Back