• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Yuba County Five: 'An American Dyatlov Pass' Incident (1978)

Just been researching the Donner Party for a piece I'm working on, and so have had a week full of reading about death in the snow, in the Sierras! In those final camps, the 80 odd folk from the wagon train, spread out into a couple of camps (some using existing shacks so quite similar). It was surprising how spread out they were.

The thing that puzzles me with this event is that they are spread out, though.

Initial frightening event - surely you'd stick together, at least at that point. And why park below or on the snow line, then go into the snow? Maybe they were drunk. That's the obvious explanation.

The biggest problem for me, is the lack of precise detail about their mental abilities (or lack thereof). Terms such as "retarded" and "slow" could have been applied to a huge variety of conditions, from dyslexia through to severe learning difficulties. Without knowing exactly where their crude diagnoses stemmed from, we can't begin to understand what they were or weren't capable of - and given the time period, there's a good chance that their doctors may not have really known either.

I'd be concentrating on the fact that no trace of Mathias, the least 'deficient' member of the group, was ever found. That, along with factors such as the missing keys and the alleged presentation of Weiher's body, would suggest that he survived somehow. If he did have a psychotic episode (the 2 years since his last episode is irrelevant, really) then that could account for literally everything else that happened, however bizarre.

Does that explanation apply to anyone who ever dies outdoors, or just "retarded" sports fans? :rolleyes:

i think reference is to alleged cardiac witness ?

even if it applied, doesnt come close to an explanation ...

oh no, i see its a reference to the guys themselves, doesnt sound like much chance of that ...

The biggest problem for me, is the lack of precise detail about their mental abilities (or lack thereof). Terms such as "retarded" and "slow" could have been applied to a huge variety of conditions, from dyslexia through to severe learning difficulties. Without knowing exactly where their crude diagnoses stemmed from, we can't begin to understand what they were or weren't capable of - and given the time period, there's a good chance that their doctors may not have really known either. ...

Things weren't as crude as you seem to think in 1978. The implementation of structured / sheltered programs for challenged folks (of various types; with various conditions) was a big deal during that decade, and California was one of the states that was already advanced in their programs. Most all states already had active programs for mentally / developmentally challenged folks, and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 led to a proliferation / expansion of the programs available - especially the sort of sheltered activity / workplace program in which these guys participated.

The fact that 4 of the 5 'boys' were enrolled in one such program means they'd been formally tested / evaluated just to qualify for admission. The only exception would have been cases in which there was already sufficient formal medical / psychological documentation on record to demonstrate they met the qualifications.

The outlier in all this was Mathias - consistently described as schizophrenic rather than mentally challenged. He would have been similarly required to be evaluated / tested (or else provide equivalent assessment info) to be included in the program / center as a regular.

The Special Olympics program (in its 10th year at the time of these guys' disappearance) has similar qualification requirements.

The relatively vague and casual descriptions given the guys come from their families' statements, as filtered through journalists.

Mathias and Madruga were 'high functioning' enough to be enlisted into the army (which tests all recruits). Both, along with Weiher, attended and seemed to have graduated from high school. I can't find any equivalent clues regarding Sterling or Huett.

On the other hand, multiple of their families alluded to the fact that although one / another / all of the guys could reliably care for himself / themselves with supervision and / or a structured environment, he / they were incapable of independent living. Similarly, all were described as vulnerable to falling apart when confronted with unexpected or stressful situations.

Thanks ... :hoff:

If I get interested in a story I like to dig deep into it, whether or not I get to a solid conclusion ...

There's one specific factoid relevant to this notion in the sketchy evidence ... When Madruga's car was found, the keys were missing. The ranger(s) / cop(s) on the scene hot-wired it, and it started up immediately. In other words, they checked whether the Mercury was disabled and demonstrated to their satisfaction it wasn't.

Of course, this doesn't rule out the possibility that Madruga had stalled it out (e.g., flooded the engine) on Friday night, and the 'boys' didn't understand the stoppage was transient if they'd only known what to do.

I'll just add this comment from the YT video:

"Older cars without modern fuel injection stall out in cold weather, plain old moisture can accumulate in the distributor cap causing the car to stop running until it dries out unless u take a paper towel to it."

Also according to this one clipping, the keys were found: http://keddie28.com/gal/Case Files/News Clippings/Forcino Five/slides/780509_Lodi-News-Sentinel.html

That entire article reconstructs a wrong turn gone bad, into the wilderness and into blizzard conditions they were not equipped and trained to deal with.

Agreed, except for one thing ... Stalling out in cold conditions owing to distributor moisture / icing requires the car to be cold so moisture can condense inside the distributor housing. As long as the engine is warm and the distributor is sealed (e.g., no cracks in the cap), moisture is highly unlikely to cause a stall.

On the other hand, icing / freezing causing a stall while running is possible, but typically involving the air intake or carburetor rather than an undamaged distributor.

I'm moderately confident they were lost - quite possibly owing to having taken a wrong turn or missed a turn.

I'm also taken by the number of references among the articles to the hippies (?) at Forbestown, where there were apparently one or more communes. Mathias had acquaintances in Forbestown. His family also stated it wasn't unusual for him to be out late at night or even overnight. There's plenty of reason to suspect he had connections and / or probably spent time there.

I mention this in relation to the 'wrong turn' theory. They would have ended up where the car was found if they'd missed the turnoff to Forbestown from the Oroville-Quincy road. At least one of the articles mentioned this turnoff wasn't difficult to miss or overlook.

My problem with the basic missing-the-Forbestown-turnoff theory (under the conventional interpretation of all 5 guys in the car) is that Mathias was obviously familiar with how to get to Forbestown. One would think Mathias would surely have noticed they'd missed the turnoff.

This is why I sketched the 'delivering-Mathias' scenario the way I did (with Madruga making a wrong turn after leaving Mathias somewhere around Forbestown). If Mathias had been in the car it's hard to see how they'd have gotten lost.

I was hoping that the bit about their stop at Behr's Market in Chico, and the multiple references to snack and drink rubbish being found in the Mercury, might shed some light on things.

I'm afraid I can't claim it has.

For one thing, the earliest news articles (from late February) state the authorities had checked in Chico but found no solid indication the 'boys' had attended the game they'd allegedly planned to see.

The Marysville Appeal Democrat article of 28 February states Sterling's mother took pictures of the men to Chico on the 27th and showed the pics to ticket-takers and security folks who'd been at the game. None recognized any of them. This may or may not have been the entire basis for the statement of failure in proving they'd attended the game.

It wasn't until one of the mid-March articles that I see the first mention of their stopping at Behr's Market some 3 blocks from the game venue. They arrived at or very shortly before 2200, and their arrival was stated to have annoyed the clerk who was trying to close the store for the evening.

The Washington Post article goes so far as to list the purchases made - 4 snacks, 2 Pepsis, and 'a quart and a half' of milk. My interpretation of the inventory is 4 snacks and 4 drinks (2 Pepsis, one quart of milk, and one pint of milk).

Sure, it could have meant 1 guy out of 5 didn't want a candy bar and either drank nothing or shared the quart of milk. On the other hand, at face value it's just as easily construed as 1 set of refreshments each for only 4 guys.

I haven't seen any mention of the snack purchase stop that goes on to explain or clarify:

- why the stop wasn't mentioned prior to mid-March - by which time the offer of a reward had attracted the apparently erroneous sighting report from a market worker in Brownsville;
- how exactly the Behr's market report surfaced, and from whom;
- where the detailed list of purchases came from (evidence from the market? the stuff found in the car?);
- whether the list of purchases was known to cross-correlate between market records (or clerk testimony) and the car's contents;
- whether and by what means the closing time customers were ID'd as the missing 'boys'; and perhaps most importantly ...
- how many guys comprised this closing time customer group.

Basketball game programs (handouts) were found among the stuff in Madruga's Mercury. I'll be generous* and assume the programs were from the particular game they planned to attend on the 24th. That would go so far as to prove somebody had been to Chico that night.

It wouldn't prove how many of the 5 guys attended the game - not unless there was additional evidence or witness testimony demonstrating all 5 were at the market. I'd let it go if only it was verified that 5 programs were found in the car.

The Chico sighting was given credence (as opposed to being discounted like the similarly-belated Brownsville lead), but nobody stated exactly why.

This seemingly minor point represents a loose end to me. If only 4 of the 5 can be proven to have gone to Chico, the odd man out was most likely Mathias. If Mathias had remained back closer to home (i.e., at Forbestown visiting somebody), he'd have needed a ride back home. Mathias was the only one presumptively guaranteed to recognize a wrong or missed turn on that highway. If Madruga and the others diverted toward the mountains to pick up Mathias on their way home and missed the turn, he wouldn't have been with them to recognize something was wrong.

These potential outcomes are why I wish I could verify all 5 were at the market, and hence at Chico.

(* These 5 guys traveled often to attend their favorite team's basketball games, so it wouldn't be out of the question for programs from one or more other / earlier games to have been in Madruga's car.)

Of course Mathias didn't check in with anyone and to this very day he has not shown up. If he was left at Forbestown or anywhere else and the others did not show up to get him, I don't think he would forget them. Also, and I forget where, it was mentioned no one in Forbestown claimed to have seen him. Mathias is the unknown factor, no idea if he was with them and wandered off where he died and was never discovered. Exposure can fog the mind.

The cold causing problems with the car starting would explain why they preferred to trek off looking for a dwelling instead of spending the night in a freezing car.

By the way, this is the Forbestown turnoff in broad daylight c. 2017. A sign and a T intersection. Basically looks like a side street and no lights I can notice. Courtesy the "little man" Google Streetview.

Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 8.38.30 PM.png

Last edited:
Of course Mathias didn't check in with anyone and to this very day he has not shown up. If he was left at Forbestown or anywhere else and the others did not show up to get him, I don't think he would forget them.

That's certainly a viable benign interpretation of the available facts.

I'm not pushing any particular scenario, but I'd point out learning about the disappearance could have (a) given Mathias an excuse to drop out or run away and / or (b) made him feel responsible for their disappearance and prompted him to stay quiet / hide / run.

Also, and I forget where, it was mentioned no one in Forbestown claimed to have seen him. ...

That's too all-encompassing a spin on the situation ... The published accounts only mention there being a single specific person in Forbestown Mathias was known to have as a friend. That person was individually contacted early on, and he (alone) told investigators he hadn't seen Mathias in a year or more.

Forbestown gets mentioned a lot for a dead-end lead, even by the guys' families. The place pretty obviously had a countercultural / hippie reputation. For example ...

In a Nashua (NH) article of 11 March, Weiher's mother "... said she believed her son and the others were being held captive in Forbestown, a hamlet six miles from Brownsville harboring several communes of young people."

I enjoy a mystery, but I try to go for the simplest answers. I guess I like the Occam's brand of razors. That said, I listen to others' answers. It doesn't cost and can bring up points I have not considered.

Well if Mathias is among us, he has chosen to stay hidden, unless at some point he overdosed or met an untimely end.

If he was with the car, then I don't know what happened. No clues of any violence on the remaining bodies.

Anyway...I think that's all I can add. I'll take a seat and let others give their input. Nice talking with you about this. So far no UFO abductions in the mix. :yay:

Does that explanation apply to anyone who ever dies outdoors, or just "retarded" sports fans? :rolleyes:
More to do with their age and the fact they were having fun - in fact nothing to do with their developmental disorders/mental health conditions, I'd have thought. I have one son with an unusual form of autism and I'd put money on him to survive in that kind of event, above and beyond my other kids. He is resourceful, strong, perfectly intelligent. Two of these gents had been in the army so they weren't incapable in any real sense.

From all I've read - you do irrational things when freezing to death, in fact tis a known phenomenon. My real question with this is what made them even go above the snowline when they didn't need to (because once there is it feasible you could get lost, disoriented, lose eachother, etc). Young men that age 'drunk' or stoned, on the night they went missing, is the first thing that comes to mind, gotta say it. Because they'd be more easily spooked.

Dramatic as that initial article linked to is, I think there could be something in that theory of an initial, frightening event - not necessarily or even likely to be supernatural, just something frightened them badly - that explains them going into the mountains, rather than away from. One night of aimless wandering, or several days' and you would get as stuck as the Donner Party were, in 1846. Regardless of your other issues.

ETA: Thinking about this yesterday I reckon they maybe only discovered the cabin comparatively late in their time still alive - by which time not rational enough to think of turning on the heat, or cooking but might explain them eating that handful of meals..? Was just too late to save them. Some members of the Donner Party were literally found lying in their own shit, because they were too weak to go outside at all, any more. And some were so close to death that they were utterly unreactive when help, and food, finally came. They'd gone beyond the point of knowing or caring what was happening.

Last edited:
... Well if Mathias is among us, he has chosen to stay hidden, unless at some point he overdosed or met an untimely end.
If he was with the car, then I don't know what happened. No clues of any violence on the remaining bodies. ...

I'm actually agnostic on whether Mathias was or wasn't among the ones who trekked off to their doom in the mountains. The conventional accounts assume he was. The sketchy fact base provides some points (snacks for 4 in Chico; Mathias' unique connection to Forbestown and hence that road; etc.) which leave holes that challenge the certainty with which one can adopt this assumption. With the sole exception of his tennis shoes being found at the bunkhouse there's no solid reason to assume he was ever there.

The combination of this weak evidence and the fact he's never been found leaves the door open to wondering if he was with the other four in the first place.

This loomed large for me because he was the most likely candidate for both: (a) prompting a drive out toward Forbestown and (b) recognizing they'd missed a turn and were heading off into parts unknown.

My recent posts were intended to illustrate how wide-open that door stands. I was actually trying to close it (if only partially), but the available factoids didn't support me in shutting it.

Even if Mathias had hiked off with the other four that night, it wouldn't be surprising if he'd been or acted alone in meeting whatever his fate was, because:

- He was the only one known to face immediate side-effects from being off his medications;
- His personal challenges were of a different category than the others';
- He was the newest member of a group that had been a group for years; and
- The other four were reputed to be sub-divisible into two pairs of 'best buddies' (Madruga / Sterling; Weiher / Huett), which could have left Mathias the odd man out in terms of bottom line social dynamics in the face of extreme duress.

If he'd made it to the bunkhouse I'm guessing he eventually made a solo break-out attempt. There's a single reference (the Lodi news item of 9 June) that mentions an ongoing search for Mathias in two different unspecified locations - one where human decomposition was detected, and the other where a blanket was found.*

(*No, I can't tell if this mention of a single blanket ties into the claim elsewhere that three blankets and a flashlight were found circa 1/4 mile northwest of the bunkhouse.)

This recently-discovered tidbit adds suggestive evidence that there was a fifth victim out there, and Mathias would naturally be the presumptive candidate.

... Dramatic as that initial article linked to is, I think there could be something in that theory of an initial, frightening event - not necessarily or even likely to be supernatural, just something frightened them badly - that explains them going into the mountains, rather than away from. One night of aimless wandering, or several days' and you would get as stuck as the Donner Party were, in 1846. Regardless of your other issues. ...

Agreed ...

The simplest explanation for the triggering event was being lost on an unfamiliar mountain road.

Over the years some online commentators have spun theories involving stressful (for these guys, at least ... ) interactions with others that night. I recall reading, years ago, an entire discussion predicated on the notion the 'boys' may have stopped in at the Mountain House lodge and fled after some sort of conflict with others there.

The one possible scene for a final fright that doesn't get much attention is where they eventually came upon Schons' car and left their own.

Some commentators have suggested Schons' alleged calls for help (and / or getting out of his car and trying to attract attention) might have confused or frightened the guys.

I have to go one step further and point out ...

We have no evidence for what happened at that final stop except what Schons claimed, and he was questioning / changing his story the very next day after hiking out of there.

Schons' accounts consistently cast him in the passive role of a stranded and ill motorist whom others came upon but failed to acknowledge, even though he made attempts to get their attention. He knew nothing about that specific vehicle (Madruga's Mercury) until he discovered it when he eventually abandoned his own car and started his hike.

His (self-refuted) two-vehicle story explains why a car may have been there and why no one was in it, but at the expense of effectively claiming 5 improperly-clothed guys could have ridden out of there as additional (and excess) passengers in a pickup truck.

Doesn't this storyline conveniently serve as a great alibi?

What if Schons' demonstrable mild cardiac episode resulted from exertion in confronting (whatever) the 5 guys rather than straining to free his car?

I'm not suggesting he necessarily threatened or fought them, but ...

Whenever it was he started his 8(?) mile trek back he would have - or certainly should have - recognized the car's occupants were missing and his own stuck car sitting circa 50 feet (or maybe 50 yards) away would lead any investigation straight to him. It would have taken hours to hike back to Mountain House, affording him plenty of time to grow paranoid about the possible implications and concoct a cover story that absolved him of any blame.

Someone from Mountain House drove him home (Sacramento; over 40 miles away), and his wife took him to get medical attention on Saturday. That same day a ranger noticed the stuck car(s) but didn't suspect anything was wrong.

By the time the authorities contacted Schons (date unknown) he'd been diagnosed as having suffered a minor cardiac incident, and this seems to have afforded him a free pass on his story without being pressed any further.

A couple of additional factoids about two of the guys having gone missing prior to this incident, from the 28 February Marysville Appeal Democrat ...

Gary Mathias' sister is quoted as stating:

"Gary has done this a couple of times before, his sister said, "and we'd find out that he was at his grandmother's in Oregon."

For the record - this news article states the family had already checked with the Oregon family site.

Edit to Add: The Washington Post article states Mathias "... occasionally stayed out all night with friends ... "

Previous transient MIA incidents were also reported for William Sterling, by his mother ...

"Mrs. Sterling said her son has frequently gone home with friends and forgotten to call, giving them reason to worry, but they would start calling his closest friends and find him with one of them. This hasn't happened in some time, Mrs. Sterling said."

Last edited:
Here's some more background info on the group's experience with similar out of town trips, from the 28 February Marysville Appeal Democrat ...

The group frequently took trips to Sacramento together and occasionally to Davis and Chico. ...

They had gone to Sacramento on Thursday to practice basketball for the game they would play on Saturday. Mathias did not go with the the group then ...

My point is that the Friday evening trip wasn't any first-time or uncommon jaunt for the guys.

Here's some more background info on the group's experience with similar out of town trips, from the 28 February Marysville Appeal Democrat ...

My point is that the Friday evening trip wasn't any first-time or uncommon jaunt for the guys.

Indeed, that's a really good point. Perhaps as they'd become used to long drives they were over-confident about how much preparation they'd need, and were caught out when things went wrong?

Indeed, that's a really good point. Perhaps as they'd become used to long drives they were over-confident about how much preparation they'd need, and were caught out when things went wrong?

Something like that ...

It's always mentioned how the guys' families provided them support and oversight. Combined with the typical cursory descriptions of their individual challenges, it gives the impression the fatal trip may have been a first-time or special outing. It wasn't. They'd been traveling out of town without direct supervision on a recurrent basis.

It may have been some sort of over-confidence in play that night. I suspect it was more a matter of one or more key mistakes or unexpected turns of events that left them outside the bounds of their ability to operate independently (as an unsupervised group).

They were trusted / experienced enough to undertake that night's expedition and not be missed until the following morning. They were trusted / experienced enough to travel among towns at night at their home (lower) elevations where snow wasn't an issue.

They pretty obviously lacked the experience, and wouldn't have been so trusted, to end up afoot in the backcountry / mountains in winter conditions - a situation outside not just their comfort zone but also their 'competence zone'.

I don't think anyone - including the guys themselves - anticipated such a situation being possible, much less something for which they should have been prepared. The guys were thrown into something 'way beyond their normal routines, expectations, and capacities.

To make matters worse, they seemingly chose to do the maximally wrong thing (set off on foot even farther into the backcountry) just before heavy snows that both (a) obliterated the trail / tracks that may have tipped off the authorities where they'd gone and (b) put them out of reach of the search strategies initially pursued.

They were effectively doomed at the point the car was found and the authorities didn't or couldn't note evidence that a group matching the missing guys had hiked onward (probably following the Sno-Cat tracks) from the place where the VW and Madruga's Mercury were parked.

It's a decent summary of the isolated tidbits found in almost all such retellings.

I notice this article perpetuates the unjustified claim the guys had to have hiked almost 20 miles to get to the cabin / trailer. As noted earlier in this thread, the most direct routes from the car to the trailer were considerably shorter than that, and the Sno-Cat that left the tracks I suspect the guys followed had been sent to check the very place at least two of them managed to reach.

Something like that ...

They pretty obviously lacked the experience, and wouldn't have been so trusted, to end up afoot in the backcountry / mountains in winter conditions - a situation outside not just their comfort zone but also their 'competence zone'.

All I can add is "bullseye!" or right on target. Bad things happen to hikers who go off the trail... but does any of their next of kin want to accept that? That's why the story is more "five able-bodied men met a mysterious end." Their memory lives on in click-bait sensationalism.​

All I can add is "bullseye!" or right on target. Bad things happen to hikers who go off the trail... but does any of their next of kin want to accept that? That's why the story is more "five able-bodied men met a mysterious end." Their memory lives on in click-bait sensationalism.​

Thanks ...

I'm not aware the guys' families pushed on the issue once the bodies were found. The families' statements during the initial 'missing' period indicated disbelief and suspicion, and at least some of them wanted to believe there'd been foul play or third parties involved.

In contrast, Mathias' stepfather seemed to be the only (quoted) one to suspect the worst from the beginning.

I tend to think that once the bodies were found the loved ones realized and accepted the guys hadn't been kidnapped, etc., but rather succumbed to circumstances beyond their abilities and backgrounds.

IMHO the families wouldn't have been quite so distraught nor protested so much if the authorities had noticed and reported evidence the guys had hiked onward from the abandoned car.* For roughly 3 months the standard story was that the car was up in the hills and nobody knew whether the guys had even been in it when it was abandoned there.

One can insert all sorts of back stories into that ambiguous a scenario, and since then many writers have done so.

*NOTE: I'm not claiming the authorities missed something they obviously should have seen. Maybe the guys' tracks had been obliterated by wind or additional snow over that first weekend. Maybe no one could bring themselves to believe the guys had reached the end of their feasible road and proceeded forward rather than backward.

Mathias' fate remains a loose end. His tennis shoes were found at the bunkhouse, and somebody had to have covered Weiher with the sheets. On the other hand, nobody (quoted) familiar with the area seemed to presume any remains would necessarily be find-able, given the terrain and fauna there.

Thanks ...

One can insert all sorts of back stories into that ambiguous a scenario, and since then many writers have done so.

Again, you are right on the mark. Even given an honest investigation, we can only hope for excellence, not perfection.
Personally I have experienced when a police officer put down the wrong street in a report during an accident in my town.
I can imagine the problems they face with limited time and resources in a wilderness investigation.

So yes, it does make sense writers do insert backstories to finish up the article. I like the real life unexplained, but I hope I'm not buying into something that isn't so.

'Sensationalist' might be a little bit overstating it. But it certainly has some of that kind of tone to the article. It also makes some definite assumptions. For example:

"Soon, police found two other corpses—those of Sterling and Madruga—4.5 miles away from Weiher's remains. Police believed their bodies had simply given up before they found shelter while Weiher and others marched on. Madruga had held on to the keys to the car."

It's a reasonable possibility (and one which we have entertained on this thread) but it's not FACT. Madruga's body has never been found. Nether have the keys. Nobody can say with certainty that two ended up in the same place. We don't know that.

It does offer up a few theories up though.

"There was also the theory that Mathias convinced the group to head toward Forbestown, an area between Chico and the mountain road, so he could visit a friend who lived there. It was possible that Madruga had missed the turn-off and gotten lost, driving deeper into darkness until the snow ground the Mercury to a halt. The men, panicking, may have believed their car was stuck and that they needed to get help."

Far from impossible, sure. Having worked with colleagues who have been on the autistic scale and at east one who had Asperger's I can attest that when under pressure, when stressed out, when something has gone wrong it can effect the choices they then make.

I have generally found that being paralysed by indecision, rather than to ploughing on, is what I would expect from autism.

The opposite can be said for my recent experiences working with a guy with Asperger's. They can get very set on the notion that they are Right and get a kind of tunnel vision from that - focusing entirely on one course of action (be that right or wrong). This has actually changed my opinion of this case somewhat.

"Melba Madruga, Jack's mother, told The Washington Post that she believed "some force" had led the group astray. "We know good and well somebody made them do it," she said. "

With all respect to a grieving mother, while it might make more sense to her believing in that we have no evidence to support that notion.

"To the Los Angeles Times, she said it was impossible for her to believe Madruga would ever drive his car, which he prized, into an area where it might be damaged. He had even left a window rolled down, something he would never normally do. "

And that's fair. It probably was out of character for Jack. That is harder to explain. But not implausible if panic had set in, and the rest of the group had decided on a new course of action.

" "I'm positive he never went up there on his own," she told the paper. "He was either tricked or threatened." "

Well, he didn't go up there on his own. The only person who cannot be accounted for is Mathias. The rest of the group were definitely with Madruga when he drove up there. There is no evidence to support a trick or threat being involved. It could have been enough to have a car full of people and one guy giving directions while Jack drove. And once they started getting lost, and tempers perhaps fraying, this was where they ended up.

"Ted Weiher's sister-in-law has theorized that the men may have seen something take place at the basketball game that prompted someone to chase them. Police were never able to establish evidence for pursuit, but no one could shake the idea that the men seemed to be determined to move forward. Why do that unless something more frightening was right behind them?"

That's not implausible. It would explain their behavior, and perhaps their seemingly aimless determination to push forward - if that is how you perceived it.

But again, it comes down to evidence - or lack thereof. The witness who saw them buying snacks after the game did not indicate that they were in any state of distress. If something happened 'at the game' then they seemed relatively unconcerned at that point.

Did something happen after that? Did they go somewhere else? Did they encounter other people afterwards? Was the final destination of the car for a rendezvous point for something else?

We just don't know? But there is no evidence to cover their movements between that snack grab and the final resting place of the car. Nothing to back up anything. A lot of speculation simply comes from this. In a pre-CCTV world we have no way of covering their movements during that period. No further witnesses ever came forward to explain it. Nobody will ever know.

It may seem logical to start speculating that because Mathias' body was never found he was somehow separated from the group, with the keys to the car, and the rest waited for his return. That maybe they went out in search of a ranger station rather than freeze to death in a car.

Given Mathias' past, his friends and association with a town known for drugs use and people disappearing, his mental illness, his dismissal from the military... you can easily think up a dozen dramatic explanations which could have covered what may have happened. But ultimately, while they would make for a very interesting story, there's just no evidence to support them.

'Sensationalist' might be a little bit overstating it. But it certainly has some of that kind of tone to the article. It also makes some definite assumptions. For example:

"Soon, police found two other corpses—those of Sterling and Madruga—4.5 miles away from Weiher's remains. Police believed their bodies had simply given up before they found shelter while Weiher and others marched on. Madruga had held on to the keys to the car."

It's a reasonable possibility (and one which we have entertained on this thread) but it's not FACT. Madruga's body has never been found. Nether have the keys. Nobody can say with certainty that two ended up in the same place. We don't know that. ...

I agree with your general thrust and the rest of your comments, but not this particular bit about Madruga.

Madruga's remains were found in early June. It's Mathias' body which was never found (if one assumes he died).

The keys to the Mercury were found with Madruga's remains. I mentioned this in post #124. To be more specific than I was earlier, the UPI wire story published in the Lodi (California) newspaper during the June discovery period stated:

The keys to the car were found with Madruga, who drove the car.

I agree with your general thrust and the rest of your comments, but not this particular bit about Madruga.

Madruga's remains were found in early June. It's Mathias' body which was never found (if one assumes he died).

The keys to the Mercury were found with Madruga's remains. I mentioned this in post #124. To be more specific than I was earlier, the UPI wire story published in the Lodi (California) newspaper during the June discovery period stated:

You're right. I'm confusing two guys whose surnames begin with the letter 'M'. :)

That is kinda weird. The car had possibly gotten stuck. It could have been pushed out by the whole group, but they chose not to.

It does kind of give a small amount of credence to the notion that the rest of the group were waiting for Mathias to return from somewhere. Although by the time they hiked up to the Ranger station it may well be that they'd also lost their bearings enough that finding their way back to the car again seemed unlikely to them.

You're right. I'm confusing two guys whose surnames begin with the letter 'M'. :)

No problem ... You prompted me to cite the source for the keys having been found with Madruga. That was a loose end, and I'd mentioned it only loosely.

Back