These Things Don't Happen Much Anymore

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
I do have a long answer to your examples, but for now I'll make do with a short one.

For example, for a couple of years in the mid 1920's The Charleston was a very popular dance. It then fell out of fashion and has rarely been repeated.

Should we therefore conclude that The Charleston never existed and that all reports of it are fake news?
If you watch Strictly, you’ll find The Charleston is a staple element and every couple has to perform it during the series.

As for the Napoleonic madman, I seem to remember the figure being used as a shorthand in cartoons, animated cartoons and sketch shows from the sixties through the early seventies.
While living in London, I was struck by how many people were walking around aimlessly having conversations with themselves. Now we have mobile phones and we see people chatting on the phone in the street all the time. The question is,,,, how often is there no-one at the other end listening?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I suppose if you were scared in the street, pretending to chat to the speaking clock on your mobile might put a threatening person off from approaching you, and that wouldn't make you mad. If however you genuinely believed the speaking clock was conversing with you, then you have a problem.