They Messed With The WRONG Person(s)

michael59

Justified & Incandecent
Reaction score
Seen that before (on this thread, perhaps). She's got a killer punch. I'm guessing she may have done a few classes in a martial art.

cbc.jpg

Sorry, I thought I had viewed the entire thread. Getting forgetful in my old age. :)

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score

AgProv

Master of Uncertainty and Doubt
Reaction score
A Turkish-built ACV-15 Armoured Personnel Carrier, armed only with a 0.50" machine gun, sees off a Syrian T-72 Main Battle Tank armed with a 125mm gun. This is akin to a hamster toughing up a Rottweiler:

maximus otter

Interesting.

several observations.

firstly, the APC uses the soft cover intelligently. The tank can see a fast moving something, but all it can be sure of is that it's tank-shaped and has tracks. they're just getting brief glimpses of that fast-moving something in between trees - it's be hard to make out if it's friend or foe, for one thing. And by the time they might have got confirmed ID - it's doubled back on itself and has come in so close behind them that it's still in soft cover - this time in the cloud of dust and dirt both vehicles are kicking up. To get a shot in, the turret will have to swing right round - the tank will therefore be poorly positioned to spot for anything coming at it from the front or flanks and its gun will not be covering the front. This is not a good position for a tank to be in for very long!

Also - the main armament of a tank can only be depressed so far. It could be that the APC, being so close, is taking advantage of a blind spot - that the tank cannot physically harm it at all!

Another thing to bear in mind - should the tank be able to target the APC, the main weapon is not designed for point-blank firing. Not at all. Say a shell lands and destroys the APC - it is within five or ten yards of the tank firing at it, maybe closer. The blast when it goes up will also cause damage to the tank - at the very least snap a track, rendering it crippled. Also... with only a few feet between the muzzle of the tank's gun and the target - that's an own goal too. A split or burst gun barrel, for instance, rendering the tank crippled and unable to function...

Fourthly - APC's are not that defenceless a target. Very often they carry anti--tank missiles for defence, in tricky situations like this. The fact the APC has done the seemingly crazy and unexpected suggests it does not carry missiles or that it's discharged them - but the tank crew do not need to know this. Especially since it's coming in from behind, where tank armour is usually thinnest. So this is one amazing bit of agressive bluffing... if you factor in that Russian tanks in WW2 wre built in vast numbers but were in the main no match for Tigers and Panthers. The last-ditch attack for a Russian tank was to go full speed ahead and ram a German tank, knowing the impact would cripple the German. Every Tiger lost was a loss to the Germans: Russia was building 15 T34's for every Tiger and could afford to lose a few. The same logic applied on the Western Front: Shermans were no match for Tigers and King Tigers. But there were 20 times as many Shermans. One Canadian crew deliberately rammed a King Tiger, as the only way of damaging one with a Sherman was basically to drop one on it. And the fear of a tank crew is to end up stranded in enemy country in an immobile tank. (I'm guessing the Syria versus Turkey thing might not be a gentlemanly war?)

Expending an APC to get an enemy tank would be acceptable combat stats. Tanks take time to make and are expensive to buy - they consume a lot of resources. Especially if Syria is dependent on the Russians for replacements. And finally, it's being driven by Turks. Never a high-tech army - but an agressive one. look at Gallipoli where they fought the British Empire into a stalemate and then a retreat. Today's world superpower - well, wouldn't deter them. Never pick a fight with Turks.

AgProv

Master of Uncertainty and Doubt
Reaction score
well, close. He was Irish. realised his Sherman wouldn't even dent the latest, biggest, hardest and most powerful tank in the German inventory. so he rammed it instead:

Another unequal fight

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Interesting.

several observations.

firstly, the APC uses the soft cover intelligently. The tank can see a fast moving something, but all it can be sure of is that it's tank-shaped and has tracks. they're just getting brief glimpses of that fast-moving something in between trees - it's be hard to make out if it's friend or foe, for one thing. And by the time they might have got confirmed ID - it's doubled back on itself and has come in so close behind them that it's still in soft cover - this time in the cloud of dust and dirt both vehicles are kicking up. To get a shot in, the turret will have to swing right round - the tank will therefore be poorly positioned to spot for anything coming at it from the front or flanks and its gun will not be covering the front. This is not a good position for a tank to be in for very long!

Also - the main armament of a tank can only be depressed so far. It could be that the APC, being so close, is taking advantage of a blind spot - that the tank cannot physically harm it at all!

Another thing to bear in mind - should the tank be able to target the APC, the main weapon is not designed for point-blank firing. Not at all. Say a shell lands and destroys the APC - it is within five or ten yards of the tank firing at it, maybe closer. The blast when it goes up will also cause damage to the tank - at the very least snap a track, rendering it crippled. Also... with only a few feet between the muzzle of the tank's gun and the target - that's an own goal too. A split or burst gun barrel, for instance, rendering the tank crippled and unable to function...

Fourthly - APC's are not that defenceless a target. Very often they carry anti--tank missiles for defence, in tricky situations like this. The fact the APC has done the seemingly crazy and unexpected suggests it does not carry missiles or that it's discharged them - but the tank crew do not need to know this. Especially since it's coming in from behind, where tank armour is usually thinnest. So this is one amazing bit of agressive bluffing... if you factor in that Russian tanks in WW2 wre built in vast numbers but were in the main no match for Tigers and Panthers. The last-ditch attack for a Russian tank was to go full speed ahead and ram a German tank, knowing the impact would cripple the German. Every Tiger lost was a loss to the Germans: Russia was building 15 T34's for every Tiger and could afford to lose a few. The same logic applied on the Western Front: Shermans were no match for Tigers and King Tigers. But there were 20 times as many Shermans. One Canadian crew deliberately rammed a King Tiger, as the only way of damaging one with a Sherman was basically to drop one on it. And the fear of a tank crew is to end up stranded in enemy country in an immobile tank. (I'm guessing the Syria versus Turkey thing might not be a gentlemanly war?)

Expending an APC to get an enemy tank would be acceptable combat stats. Tanks take time to make and are expensive to buy - they consume a lot of resources. Especially if Syria is dependent on the Russians for replacements. And finally, it's being driven by Turks. Never a high-tech army - but an agressive one. look at Gallipoli where they fought the British Empire into a stalemate and then a retreat. Today's world superpower - well, wouldn't deter them. Never pick a fight with Turks.

Some interesting and thoughtful comments.

l would, however, take issue with your suggestion that the T-72 would inevitably score a self-inflicted mobility kill if it engaged the APC at point-blank range. The T-72 mainly uses fairly conventional HEAT and sabot rounds. Using the latter: no risk; using the former, l would suggest minimal danger of serious damage.

maximus otter

Last edited:

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
If this idiots crime wasn't so serious I would say he deserved it. But he deserves a long prison sentence too:

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
As a note, reading the comments someone claims that he was cursing the cashier and not spitting on the oranges.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Interesting.

several observations.

I think you have to take off the War Thunder, (Which is what I play) or WOT's googles here. Tanks are not supposed to work in isolation ever in real life - is this even real?

michael59

Justified & Incandecent
Reaction score
If this idiots crime wasn't so serious I would say he deserved it. But he deserves a long prison sentence too:

That is a disturbing piece of video. It has been bothering me for hours.

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I totally understand and there is no need to apologise. I get the same reaction when I see cruelty to animals that people somehow feel the need to share even though it upset them. If I accidently see it I can't get it out of my head for a long time, so I do empathise.

I've never understood "ooh this really upset me, lets upset everyone else."

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
As this news item from Michigan's Upper Peninsula illustrates, home invasions work best when the invaders' weaponry outmatches what the homeowner can bring to bear ...
Sheriff's office arrests suspects in Houghton County home invasion

A man and woman have been arrested after they allegedly committed home invasion in South Range early Saturday morning.

According to a press release sent out by the Houghton County Sheriff’s office, the male suspect pulled a knife on a person inside the home.

The victim defended himself with a chainsaw.

The suspects then fled from the scene.

Deputies were able to locate both suspects at another home in South Range after an extensive search ...
SOURCE: https://www.uppermichiganssource.com/content/news/Sheriffs-office--569576961.html?

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar