They Messed With The WRONG Person(s)

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Scamming burglars repelled by 81-year-old ex-Marine with his family's heirloom shillelagh ...
Illinois man, 81, uses antique walking stick to beat thieves

An 81-year-old former Marine from suburban Chicago used his grandfather’s antique Irish walking stick to chase off three burglars and deliver one a thump in the head for his trouble.

Dan and Barbara Donovan told the Pioneer Press newspaper group that a man in a reflective vest and mask knocked on their door in Niles on Nov. 4 and said he was a utility worker who needed to check their fuse box due to a recent fire in the area.

Barbara Donovan said while they were in the basement with the man, who was looking at their electric circuit panel, she heard squeaking floorboards upstairs realized something wasn’t right. ...

She bounded up the steps, followed by her husband and the so-called utility worker. When the couple reached the main floor, they found two other men inside, one holding a pillowcase from their bedroom.

Dan Donovan began trying to chase the three men from their house, and that’s when he grabbed his grandfather’s shillelagh ...

“I was trying to find some type of persuasive weapon,” he said. “So I picked up the Irish shillelagh and that turned out to be the equalizer because I managed to chase them out of the house.”

Donovan struck the man with the pillowcase in the back of the head with the stick. The man held onto the pillowcase as he followed his two cohorts outside, but Donovan, who was barefoot, followed, using the shillelagh to deliver blows to the windshield and rear window of the men’s SUV before they fled. ...

SOURCE: https://apnews.com/article/illinois-e67671bfe9e0313fe0e7f8d42e4a05d2

Last edited:

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
I have no idea what this Washington (state) intruder thought he was doing, but the homeowner put him down when he finally attempted to break into the house.
Man uses shovel to break into home, homeowner fights back

A Rainier homeowner fought back when an intruder smashed through the family’s glass front door with a shovel early Saturday morning.

“Every dad’s worst nightmare,” said Joey Archer. “I grabbed the shovel and yanked it out of his hand, and he had the butt of it, so I grabbed it, yanked it and hooked him in the head with (it) twice just wham, wham.” ...

FULL STORY: https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/ma...owner-fights-back/EQC6XS2QRBFKXCHO2AHXCF5B6U/

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I have no idea what this Washington (state) intruder thought he was doing, but the homeowner put him down when he finally attempted to break into the house.

FULL STORY: https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/ma...owner-fights-back/EQC6XS2QRBFKXCHO2AHXCF5B6U/

His home is already like a fortress, and he personally defended it well against an aggressive intruder. You'd think he'd feel relieved and even proud. Instead he's upping the ante with firearms -

“Better cameras, tighter security and a shotgun and pistol, that’s how we’re going to respond to it and educating our kids and planning, planning to be as safe as possible,” said Joey.

That's living in fear.

kamalktk

Antediluvian
Reaction score
In this case, the wrong person being messed with is because she has a sister and mother present at the time.

Domestic violence suspect is fatally stabbed, beaten with golf club after victim's mother, sister come to her aid in South Pasadena

https://abc7.com/sister-stabbed-mom-golf-club/8357791

A man who broke into a home in South Pasadena and attacked his estranged girlfriend on Saturday morning was fatally stabbed and beaten with a golf club after the victim's mother and adult sister intervened, authorities said.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
His home is already like a fortress, and he personally defended it well against an aggressive intruder. You'd think he'd feel relieved and even proud. Instead he's upping the ante with firearms -

That's living in fear.

Buying a fire extinguisher after experiencing a house fire is not “living in fear”.

He was lucky against Intruder One. Next time, there might be more than one; or the offender may be bigger and stronger than the homeowner.

maximus otter

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
In this case, the wrong person being messed with is because she has a sister and mother present at the time.

Domestic violence suspect is fatally stabbed, beaten with golf club after victim's mother, sister come to her aid in South Pasadena

https://abc7.com/sister-stabbed-mom-golf-club/8357791

A man who broke into a home in South Pasadena and attacked his estranged girlfriend on Saturday morning was fatally stabbed and beaten with a golf club after the victim's mother and adult sister intervened, authorities said.
He won't do that again. ;)

PeniG

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I am reminded of a bit I read in Texas Monthly lo these many years ago (sometime in the 80s) in which a sheriff was quoted discussing a man whose sister-in-law shot him, a case which (this being Texas) does not appear to have ever gone to court. I cannot at this distance guarantee that I remember the whole quote verbatim, but the last sentence I will vouch for. "He was beating on her sister, and she got the gun and put it next to his head and said if he didn't stop she'd shoot him. He said: 'Yeah, you do that.' He shouldn't oughta said that."

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
“He was beating on her sister, and she got the gun and put it next to his head and said if he didn't stop she'd shoot him. He said: 'Yeah, you do that.' He shouldn't oughta said that."

:rofl:

I attended a murder scene very much like that, except with a 12-bore shotgun. The deceased’s last words - attested to by at least one uninvolved witness - amounted to, “You haven’t got the balls to pull the trigger.”

Reader, he did, and l got my feet sticky.

maximus otter

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
:rofl:

I attended a murder scene very much like that, except with a 12-bore shotgun. The deceased’s last words - attested to by at least one uninvolved witness - amounted to, “You haven’t got the balls to pull the trigger.”

Reader, he did, and l got my feet sticky.

maximus otter
Yeah, it's not wise to taunt the one with the gun. Best to be polite.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago there were two incidents of fly tipping in our village. Well, on the approach road to and from the village (it's a road that goes nowhere). The local farmer on whose property the stuff was tipped, went through it and found paperwork giving the name and address of the owner, who turned out to be a lady who'd paid some 'likely lads' to take away her rubbish.

Farmer informed her, in no uncertain terms, what had happened to her rubbish, and local council being informed are fining both her and the likely lads (should they still be operating under the same phone number and address as they were at the time...)

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Ontario woman sick and tired of having her packages stolen from her front porch gets revenge (and a positive ID on the thief) ...
Porch pirate steals bait box filled with cat poop

An Ontario woman fed up with package thieves said she left a box of poop on her front porch -- and it was stolen within 40 minutes.

Laurie Pringle of Hamilton said she's had several packages disappear from her front porch during the past three years, so she decided to set out a bait package filled with cat poop. ...

"... I've had a number of packages stolen in the three years I've lived here" ...

"... I have a very clear label for all my Amazon packages, indicating that they should ring my video doorbell. A couple of the couriers that Amazon uses almost never read the label, so that results in my packages being stolen fairly often," she said.

Pringle said the box of poop was stolen within 40 minutes of being set outside.

The homeowner said she captured the theft on video and a neighbor identified the culprit as the same person who had recently swiped a package from their porch. ...

SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/1...-bait-box-filled-with-cat-poop/5871607977857/

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Hope they enjoy the poop.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Ontario woman sick and tired of having her packages stolen from her front porch gets revenge (and a positive ID on the thief) ...

SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/1...-bait-box-filled-with-cat-poop/5871607977857/
Reminds me of something that happened many moons ago,
A friend of mines dad had his car broken into and a bag stolen, what the thieves didnt know was my friends dad worked with old incontinent folks and the bag was full of soiled adult diapers lol

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Reminds me of something that happened many moons ago,
A friend of mines dad had his car broken into and a bag stolen, what the thieves didnt know was my friends dad worked with old incontinent folks and the bag was full of soiled adult diapers lol

That's a neat variation on the story of the mugger stealing the bag of dogshit!

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Some of my friends when I was a teenager were the 4 sons and one daughter of one family.
Their mum was a very lovely, gentle, english woman, and their dad was a very quiet, average looking fella.
However what people didn't realise, when they were all in a pub one evening watching a 'covers' band whilst waiting to go on stage themselves (they were in a band at the time), was that their dad was a bit 'hard', and had been raised on, and lived on, the Falls Road in Belfast until moving to the UK in the 70s.
Some very aggressive bunch of what looked like 'hells angels' were in the pub, and my friends were a long haired bunch but quite tough, and a 'did you spill my pint?' moment occurred which started a bit of a ruckus.
It wasn't very long at all until up jumped the dad and knocked several colours of shit out of the group of 'hells angels' (they might've just been bikers) whilst shouting various swear words and insults in a strong Northern Irish accent. They didn't hang around.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Elderly Asian Woman Beats Up Man Attacking Her In San Francisco

An elderly woman being attacked on Market Street in San Francisco Wednesday turned the tables on her assailant, leaving him with injuries that required a trip to the hospital.

iu

NOT Xiao Zhen Xie

San Francisco police said they are investigating an aggravated assault by a man who appears to be in his 30s on a 70-year-old woman.

Coming upon the scene during his morning run was KPIX Sports Director Dennis O’Donnell. “There was a guy on a stretcher and a frustrated angry woman with a stick in her hand,” O’Donnell says.

Witnesses told KPIX 5 they saw the woman pummeling the assailant. In a video taken at the scene, the alleged assailant is handcuffed to a stretcher with his face bloodied. The sobbing victim appears to berate the man and wave what looks to be a wooden board at him as he’s being taken away.

You bum, why did you hit me?” the woman said to the man on the stretcher in Chinese.

Surrounded by her family, Xiao Zhen Xie , who has resided in San Francisco for 26 years, said she was quite shaken up by the unprovoked attack. In the moment, her instinct was to fight back.

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2...-beats-up-man-attacking-her-in-san-francisco/

maximus otter

Last edited:

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Do you think they used the phrase 'noted for her athletic powers' as some sort of...er....slang?

pandacracker

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The sentence starting "She immediately alighted..." is beautiful and paints a fantastic picture.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
A Google Earth search indicates that “Peel Lane, Little Hulton” still exists. Perhaps there should be a blue plaque:

“Here a gobshite got a well-deserved shoeing off a fit lass. Traveller: Keep your ill-bred shite to yourself, lest you want to wake up with screens round you.”

The National Trust

maximus otter