They Messed With The WRONG Person

Wrong house to burgle

Martial arts expert kills two raiders

Philip Willan in Rome
Monday October 13, 2003
The Guardian

A Chinese martial arts expert was in custody yesterday after turning the tables on four burglars armed with knives, killing two of them and seriously wounding a third.
The 28-year-old man, known as "the doctor" for his practice of acupuncture and traditional Chinese medicine, managed to seize one of the two knives carried by his assailants and saw off the entire group with the ferocity of his reaction.

Magistrates in the central Italian town of Empoli are now seeking to establish whether his self-defence constituted an excessive use of force.

The butchery, worthy of a Quentin Tarantino film, began shortly before midnight on Friday when the four men knocked at the apartment of a Chinese hairdresser in the centre of Empoli.

The hairdresser, her assistant and "the doctor", who operated from the same premises, were reportedly overpowered and tied up before the group, all thought to be in their 20s and 30s, ransacked the apartment.

Disappointed by their meagre booty, the attackers allegedly threatened to rape the two women unless they told them where the rest of their money was hidden.

At this point the doctor managed to free himself, seize a knife from one of the aggressors and deliver a series of lethal stab wounds.

Investigators found the body of one man, who had been stabbed in the heart, sprawled on the staircase and another man bleeding to death in the street from a wound to his leg. A third man is recovering in hospital from a punctured lung.

The doctor was found crouching in the entrance to the building with cuts to his shoulder, face and hands.

Investigators are trying to determine whether he inflicted the injuries while defending himself inside the apartment, or hunted down the burglars after they had fled.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/italy/story/0,12576,1061765,00.html

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Good.

Two fewer burglars and potential rapists in the world. Having imprisoned and threatened the occupants with lethal weapons, in my eyes their killing is entirely jusified morally--threatening to rape the two women justs adds to the case further. Reminds me of a story in the UK a few years back (?) where a man tried to hold up a post office pretending to have a gun beneath his coat and threatening to kill the cashier. Unluckily for him the chap behind was a member of Her Majesty's armed forces and promptly broke his back. He wanted to sue; it was not permited.

A

Anonymous

Reminds me of a case a few years.

Attempted car jacking in the North of England. Four blokes drag the driver out of a car stopped at traffic lights.
Said driver had recently left the Armed Forces.
Parachute Regiment.
Unarmed combat instructor.

Police described the four men as getting " a good kicking". All four were charged with attempted theft and assault and found guilty.

Result!

escargot

Beloved of Ra
I remember the story about the little old lady who was mugged in London some years back by a couple of thugs.
They didn't know that she was an Eastern European circus stronglady............................:D

Lucky to escape alive.

There was also a woman about 6 or so years ago who fatally stabbed a man who sneaked into her house and threatened her. Turned out that there had been some similar attacks on women in the area over a few years and some women had been raped- the deceased accused was believed to be behind those incidents too. The 'stabbing lady' (who remained anonymous) was not charged with any crime.:)

Imperial_Call

Justified & Ancient
and like the one in London where a guy tried to steal a car that an IRA gunman was hiding in - served a dual purpose, stopped him ever trying that again, and scared the IRA off their intented target ...

Toffeenose: Yes finding a large, violent, naked Scotsman coming at you with golf clubs probably isn't an ideal burgling scenario.

Along the lines of 'They picked the Wrong Person for that Crime':

Thief Stopped by His Landlord _ a Cop

Tue Oct 14, 5:05 PM ET

RENO, Nev. - Ernest Dumpti was feeling so wealthy after he allegedly helped steal ,000 from an elderly woman that he decided to pay off a year's worth of his rent, police said.

The problem was he tried to pay it off in ,000 cash, to his landlord — a Reno police officer.

Dumpti, 39, and his alleged accomplice Patrick Payne, 43, were booked Monday into the Washoe County Jail for investigation of grand larceny.

The men allegedly took the money from the attic of a Reno woman whose home they were renovating, Reno police said.

Officer Jim Stegmaier said he became suspicious when Dumpti told him he had come into some cash and wanted to pay a year in advance on the property he rents from the officer.

Dumpti allegedly showed Stegmaier the money while Stegmaier was wearing his police uniform.

Police detectives then obtained a search warrant for Dumpti's home and recovered the ,000. The woman was not aware the money was missing until she was contacted by police.
Source

Dumpti is also a great name ;)

Emps

Rabbit 'chases off burglar'

A burglar is believed to have been chased off by a pet rabbit in Holland.

A householder in Emmen was woken up at 5am by the sound of his rabbit kicking his feet against his cage.

The 47-year-old man went downstairs to investigate and discovered that a burglar had broken into his house.

He believes the burglar was scared off by the sound of the rabbit which he kept in a cage in his dining room.

All that was missing was a wallet which had been left lying on a table.

Story filed: 10:15 Wednesday 15th October 2003
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_828954.html?menu=news.quirkies

A

Anonymous

LobeliaOverhill said:
and like the one in London where a guy tried to steal a car that an IRA gunman was hiding in - served a dual purpose, stopped him ever trying that again, and scared the IRA off their intented target ...

i like the report from Ni from a army obs post...suspect was seen to place package against the wall. A dog arived and started to pee on the package. The supect then tried to kick the dog hitting the package which then was seen to explode. The suspect lost a leg aparently after reciveing prompt first aid from the army post, personly id been tempted just to watch..... i hope they call him hopalong, bastard.

TheQuixote

Justified & Ancient
Swordswoman, 80, fights burglars

BBCi 26/11/03

Swordswoman, 80, fights burglars

An 80-year-old woman used a ceremonial sword to fight off two six-foot raiders who burst into her home.

Angina sufferer Jean Freke grabbed the sword from the wall in her drawing-room after she was pushed to the ground.

The widow wrestled with one of the burglars and brandished the weapon at the other.

Her actions forced the pair of teenagers to flee empty-handed from her home in Dunyeats Road, Broadstone, Poole, Dorset.

I have still got my sword and i am ready to use it if anyone else should have a go
Widow Jean Freke

Mrs Freke, who sustained bruising to her arm during the incident, is currently having her angina condition monitored at Poole Hospital.

The sword was a pre-World War I army officer's dress sword which belonged to Mrs Freke's late husband's father.

Loud Explosions

She said: "I was sitting in the drawing-room when I heard some loud explosions.

"I walked out into the hall to look around and these two men who had been trying to knock down my mahogany door had knocked-out the door frame."

One of the teenagers ransacked the room, while Mrs Freke struggled with the other.

"They were big men and I am not big at atll.

"I was trying to keep them away from a chair in the far corner of the room- behind the cushion was my bag, cheque book and all my money," she said.

"I pointed the sword at the stomach of one of them and shouted 'Get out, get out'.

"I still have got my sword and I am ready to use it if anyone else should have a go."

The raiders were white, aged betwenn 18 to 20, six-feet tall and wearing dark clothing.

Detective Inspector Garry Smith said: "The attack on Mrs Freke was despicable and cowardly with a vulnerable widow being targeted in her own home.

"We are absolutely disgusted with what has occurred. Jean fought back and fought them off with her sword and I take my hat off to her."

The attack on Mrs Freke follows a series of burglaries where elderly householders have been targeted.

IMO I think this is great, we read too often about how elderly people are murdered/assaulted in their own homes or in the street, and to have a lady like this fight back and scare burglars off, is fantastic. My only criticism is, if it were anyone else fighting back with a sword ie. not a pensioner, would the police have taken them in for commiting assault against the burglars? or is it the novelty factor that she is elderly that they are willing to overlook this?

stonedog3

Abominable Snowman
I think it comes under the "reasonableness" idea.... if you are a huge somone with multiple unarmed combat medals then waving teh sword might be looked on askance.

If you are small and in ill health then it seems more "reasonable"?

and she didn't stick 'em with it!

Kath

Mighty_Emperor

Beloved of Ra
In a similar vein of people getting what was coming to them:

Rape attempt victim knives her aggressor

Panchkula, January 3: Twenty-seven-year-old Ram Chandra entered Sudha Devi’s house, allegedly with the intention of molesting and raping her. Five minutes later, he came out screaming. The woman, in self-defence, had castrated him.

In her statement to the police, Sudha Devi said she was fast asleep when Ram Chandra knocked on the door of her house in Rajiv Colony, Panchkula. Sudha said she thought it was her husband, Kirpa Ram Singh and opened the door to find Ram Chandra standing there. Ram Chandra allegedly put his hand on her mouth and pushed her inside. He then allegedly tore her clothes and threatened to strangulate her if she tried to escape. As she groped around, Sudha said her hand fell on the kitchen knife. She picked it up and slashed Ram Chandra’s private parts.

At the time of incident, Sudha said her children — all four of them — were asleep. As Ram Chandra ran out screaming, Sudha said she went to the house of his brother, Ram Rattan, and narrated the incident. Ram Rattan later took Ram Chandra to General Hospital, Sector 16, Panchkula, where his condition worsened. He was then taken to PGI. Ram Chandra’s wife and three children have gone to their native village in Uttar Pradesh.

Kirpa, meanwhile, says but for a verbal dual which occurred a year ago, there was no dispute between the two families. The police have registered a case against Ram Chandra.
http://cities.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=72322

I'll take your sword-wielding 80-year old and raise you a knife-wielding 90-year old:

Knife-wielding 90-yr-old sends intruder packing

Wed 14 January, 2004 02:54

WELLINGTON (Reuters) - A 90-year-old New Zealand man grabbed a carving knife from his kitchen and chased away a masked intruder who had threatened his wife with a butter knife.

The intruder waved the flimsy weapon at David Saulbrey's wife when she tried to ring the police to report Tuesday's break-in at their home in Lower Hutt, near Wellington, the Dominion-Post newspaper reported.

Saulbrey, who failed to hear the hapless intruder's demand for money because he was not wearing his hearing aid, then beat the burglar in a search for a more threatening weapon.

"Once I got the carving knife I said: 'Now you bastard, you're for it.' With that he threw his knife at me and took off out the door," Saulbrey told the newspaper.

"I was that bloody wild I would have stuck (the knife) in his Adam's apple," he said.

New Zealand police said they did not recommend confronting an armed intruder but praised Saulbrey's bravery.

"He's a tough old bugger. You wouldn't think he was 90, that's for sure," Detective Scott Cooper was quoted as saying.
http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jhtml?type=oddlyEnoughNews&storyID=4122259&section=news

Emps

Stormkhan

Justified & Ancient
I've long held a belief that anyone has a right to live in their home, lawfully, without threat to their life or body. There is legislation that allows for reasonable defence of property but, considering the levels of gun and weapon crime reported in English society, "reasonable" becomes a word that earns the legal profession vast quantities of money.

I will state now, to all and sundry, that I'm practiced with the use of knife, axe and sword, having been a member of a reenactment group and my (blunt) swords are still available for examination by any turd who wants to break into my family home. I admit that no amount of theory will prepare you for a serious encounter - but the adrenaline rush of being attacked in ones home can overcome any sense of proportion, reasonableness and decency.

As far as I'm concerned, as soon as someone enters my home illegally and with criminal intent then they are abrogating thier right to the legal system. This may not be true in legal terms but in this, I'm prepared to take any punishment due to me for my actions. Fair enough.

I only say this to point out that if it wasn't for the "martial" skills of these victims, they'd have become another statistic - some bastard decided they wanted something they didn't earn or deserve so they broke into the home of a vulnerable person and steal something. While the deep reason for this behaviour can be discussed, the bottom line is that these people were willing to take what they didn't have, regardless of right.

Yes, it's funny to think of "a granny" picking up a sword and defending her property and (perhaps) her life. But what's so funny about a burglar threatening the life of a granny with a sword? Surely, neither situation should be acceptable?

TheQuixote

Justified & Ancient
I don't think any situation where a vulnerable person is being threatened in their own home by an aggressor who has the physical advantage is forgivable. I also think that the two elderly person's actions were fantastic.

I think maybe my original post is being too flip by saying if it were any other member of society then it may not have been 'newsworthy'.

A

Anonymous

Threatening and attacking someone who's forced themselves into your home is one thing. When they run off, you've achieved your aim. That's reasonable force.

Chasing 'em down the road to finish 'em off and decapitate them wouldn't come under the remit of reasonable force:)

daisys1

Junior Acolyte
a-la- Tony M?

When you've fired the warning shot, and the burglar is fleeing, you're not really entitled to blow them away with a shotgun.

That's what (in the eys of the current law) reasonable force means...

So as previous poster points out;

Granny scares them off with a sword - well done granny.

Granny bludgeons them to death as they try to flee, she would and SHOULD go to prison.

There's no excuse - it's dumb to say that everyone should be able to defend their homes with lethal force - that WILL NOT stop the burglars - they'll just bring their own guns and shoot first without question. In short, if Mr Crook came expecting an attempt on his life - he'll take yours before you ever have a chance to deploy 'any means necessary'.

And ina reversal of the above I have a tax preparer with a stapler seeing off a knife wielding attacker:

Stapler stymies knife-wielding robber

By TOM ALEX
Register Staff Writer
01/17/2004

DeAnna Rankins has heard the old saying about death and taxes.

She worried for moment that it might be true.

The Des Moines tax preparer was accosted at work Thursday night by a knife-wielding man who tried to rob her.

Rankins backed him down with a stapler.

"I felt the power of the Lord," she said Friday.

Police continued the search for a man who walked into Jackson Hewitt Tax Service, 2714 Douglas Ave., about 8:30 p.m. and demanded cash.

"I was in a zone, working on taxes," Rankins, 32, said. "It didn't occur to me at first that he meant he wanted to rob me. We don't have any money here. We have checks."

The man wanted money. Now.

"I finally realized he was not asking about our 'Money Now' program," which lets customers get cash up front on their anticipated tax refunds, said Rankins, who works drawing blood at a local hospital and picks up extra income as a supervisor at Jackson Hewitt.

Rankins scanned her desk for something she could use as a weapon; something that might trump the pocket knife. She opted for the stapler. It flip-flopped in her hand, she said, but it had a good, solid feel.

She stood up: "I've got no money, and you better get out of here."

She stepped toward him. He stepped toward her.

She raised the stapler and warned: "I will fight you."

The man hesitated, then hurried out of the office.

"I would have stapled him," Rankins said.

A police report said, "The robber had second thoughts and apparently wanted no part of this."

He was last was seen running east.
http://desmoinesregister.com/news/stories/c4788993/23284746.html

I'll match your stapler with salad cream:

Salad cream salvo foils robber

By Nick Britten
(Filed: 21/01/2004)

A trail of salad cream led police to a thief after a shopkeeper he tried to rob drenched him from head to toe with the contents of a catering-sized bottle.

Lorraine Avery forced the thief to back out of the store by squirting him again and again after he produced a knife and demanded money from the till.

When police arrived shortly afterwards, they followed the salad cream along the pavement to a nearby street, where they found Michael Watt trying to clean it off.

Watt, 18, was jailed for three and a half years yesterday after admitting attempted robbery. The judge also recommended that Mrs Avery receive a bravery award.

Last night, Mrs Avery, 48, said: "He came in and produced a knife and said, 'give me the money out of the till'.

"I thought, 'he's not having our money, I've worked hard for it'.

"I looked for something to hit him with but there was nothing to hand. I was frightened to take my eyes off the knife and the nearest thing was a big bottle of salad cream so I grabbed it and squeezed it all over his clothes.

"I thought if he hurts me, people will know it's him by what is on him.

"He kept coming at me with the knife and I kept squirting him with the salad cream. It was all over his jacket and trousers.

"When the police caught up with him he was on the next street. The policewoman saw a stain on his trousers, scraped some off and saw it was salad cream."

Stafford Crown Court was told that Mrs Avery was working at Heath Stores in Uttoxeter on Sept 29 last year when Watt came in while she was on her own and produced a kitchen knife.

Peter Cooper, prosecuting, said: "She was terrified, but she played for time, saying she couldn't open the till. He kept saying, 'give me the money'. She became angry and she grabbed a catering size plastic bottle of salad cream and pointed it at him. She swore at him and told him to get out.

"He started to jab the knife towards her, saying 'come on then'. Very bravely, she began to squirt him with the salad cream.

"She pursued him, squirting him with the salad cream and telling him to get out. The defendant walked away and Mrs Avery phoned the police."

When officers arrived they found Watt, from Burton upon Trent, Staffs, had thrown off his jacket, but had still left a trail of salad cream.

Mrs Avery said later: "I would be delighted to receive a bravery award. I bet Watt feels a bit of a plonker now."
Source

SALAD CRIME

Jan 21 2004

Robber caught after leaving trail of Heinz

By Rod Chaytor

A ROBBER was sent to prison yesterday after police tracked him down by following his trail of salad cream.

Brave shop assistant Lorraine Avery had sprayed knife-wielding Michael Watts with a catering-size plastic bottle of Heinz salad cream after he demanded all the money from the till of the convenience store where she worked.

Watts, 18, had waited until Lorraine was alone in the shop before pulling out a kitchen knife and threatening her.

Angered by his threats, she grabbed the bottle of Heinz, kept spraying it at him and managed to force him out of the shop in Uttoxeter, Staffs.

The teenager, covered with the gooey cream, threw off his jacket but police tracked him down by following the trail to a nearby street and found him with his trousers still plastered in the stuff, Stafford crown court heard.
Source

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
[Emp edit: Threads merged and link removed]

See this earlier post for a wonderful example of burglars picking the wrong house.

Personally, there's an untipped fencing foil within arm's reach of my bed. I'm not an expert but I know what I'm doing: anyone I find in my house uninvited is kebabed--i'll deal with the legal repercussions later when my loved ones and I are no longer at risk.

In fact, it makes me angry that the law could possibly see such action as in any way 'wrong'. :hmph:

The Yithian: That was a thread I was thinking of that thread too ;)

I have a large Kukri at the bottom of my bed - its not sharp but I doubt a burglar would stick around to find out if I came rushing down the stairs starkers with it (the knife) in my hand - a bit like an armed angry yeti/wookie!!

Emps

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Emperor said:
I have a large Kukri at the bottom of my bed - its not sharp but I doubt a burglar would stick around to find out if I came rushing down the stairs starkers with it (the knife) in my hand - a bit like an armed angry yeti/wookie!!
Are all Forteans as paranoid as us? Having read several comments on the board over the years, it seems even us Brits with no guns all have something lethal within arm's length of our pillows!

The Yithian said:
Are all Forteans as paranoid as us? Having read several comments on the board over the years, it seems even us Brits with no guns all have something lethal within arm's length of our pillows!
I wouldn't really go as far as to say paranoid - for example the kukri is more ornamental and is on what my friends jokingly describe as 'The Altar' so its really just conincidence. ;)

Emps

And if we are going to also use this thread to look at old people acting against stereotype:

Jail for Texas bank robber, 92

Reuters, Lubbock, Texas
Tuesday January 27, 2004
The Guardian

The man believed to be the oldest bank robber in the United States, JL Hunter Rountree, 92, has been jailed for 12 years after he pleaded guilty to robbing $1,999 (£1,100) from a Texas bank last year.

Rountree, nicknamed Red, said he robbed his first bank when he was around 80 because he wanted revenge on banks for sending him into a financial crisis.

He was sentenced to 151 months in prison.

Police said Rountree, who was not armed, handed two envelopes to a teller at a bank in Abilene, Texas. One had the word "robbery" written in red ink. Rountree told the teller to stuff money into the other envelope, or she would get hurt.

After asking Rountree twice if he was joking, she put the money into the envelope and Rountree then made off in a 1996 Buick, police said. A bank employee noted the licence number and 30 minutes later Rountree was pulled over by police on a road about 20 miles from the scene.

Rountree left a prison in Florida, where he was the oldest prisoner in the state, about a year and a half ago after a three-year sentence for bank robbery in Pensacola in 1999. He was caught holding up a bank in Biloxi, Mississippi, in 1998, and got three years' probation.

In a prison interview with the Orlando Sentinel in 2001, Rountree said he had been a businessman in Texas but had fallen on hard times. "A bank that I'd done business with had forced me into bankruptcy," he told the newspaper. "I decided I would get even."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1132016,00.html

Emps