• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

They* Walk Among Us (*Aliens)

Wembley said:
(those deadly earth microbes!) - never mind being able to eat local organisms and digest those alien proteins.

I wonder how real a threat earth microbes would be and vice versa? After all humans don't catch plant diseases and we're likely to have more physiologically in common with a tree than with something that evolved in an alien ocean 300 light years away. To earth microbes your alien's body tissues might well be as tasty as teflon.

For the rest, if they can cope with other factors I can't imagine that they'd be entirely comfortable, though they might acclimatize as we do at high altitudes, for example.

It's conceivable that they could practice mimickry, but like the bugs in 'Mimic' I suspect they wouldn't pass at any more that a cursory glimpse in the semi-darkness.

One way they could pass is inside spacesuits/exoskeletons designed to look like humans (like the little alien in MIB), though obviously even with clever animatronics, that wouldn't pass a medical examination.

Quote from Wembley

What are the chances that they would be able to cope with not only the gravity, but also temperature, pressure, radiation, humidity, atmosphere and other factors (those deadly earth microbes!) - never mind being able to eat local organisms and digest those alien proteins.

I think it could be safe to assume that any intelligent alien lifeform that has developed the technology to travel across space would have very little difficulty coming to terms with (a) feeding themselves (b) the possiblity of hostile surrondings and (c) protecting themselves from microbes and bacteria. Personally i would find it very hard to believe that they wouldn't take every possible precation. I suppose they would just avoid planets that didn't suit them and explore planets that could and of course there is the close encounters of the third kind scenario where the aliens don't have a home world but travel the stars in their own artifically created world.
I don't think i would be able to take any alien seriously if it travelled half way accross the galaxy to meet us only to postpone the encounter because it caught the flu :D

Painy said:
Just because nothing on this planet can shapeshift, it doesnt mean some aliens in the universe cannot do it.

Who knows what their genetic make up would be.

Maybe there is a life form sat there writing on their fortean times message board "I cant believe there is a life form that doesnt shapeshift"

I had considered that, but what would the mechanism be? How would it work? We're talking about an instantaneous transformation.
I'm not a molecular biologist, but I don't think any skeletal/cellular transformation of this kind is actually physically possible.
I'd say it wasn't an innate, natural ability - I'd say it was something that could only be done with technological assistance.

This all still begs the question as to why a race of beings that can travel 100/1000s of light years, that are able to transform their bodies into an alternative form or otherwise hide amongst us but cannot prevent their transport from being photographed with a bog standard Kodak by Joe Bloggs out walking his dog. After all, the old 'anything is possible' rule is being invoked here.

As the man once said, 'Why don't they just turn out the lights?'

Georgie Pin said:
This all still begs the question as to why a race of beings that can travel 100/1000s of light years, that are able to transform their bodies into an alternative form or otherwise hide amongst us but cannot prevent their transport from being photographed with a bog standard Kodak by Joe Bloggs out walking his dog. After all, the old 'anything is possible' rule is being invoked here.

As the man once said, 'Why don't they just turn out the lights?'

I have to see the sense in that statement!

I don't think shape shifting aliens are impossible but I do think it is not very probable.At least not on the grand scale rumoured by current writers!

It is wierd to think that these supposedly advanced beings come zillions of miles, have an advanced technology and superior thinking and do really dumb things like stopping cars and frieghtening people!

All done while disguising themselves as Price Charles or David Icke!!!!
:lol:

It is wierd to think that these supposedly advanced beings come zillions of miles, have an advanced technology and superior thinking and do really dumb things like stopping cars and frieghtening people!

Maybe they are the kind that enjoy pranks ;)

Perhaps Douglas Adams was even more of a genius than I thought ?

"I think it could be safe to assume that any intelligent alien lifeform that has developed the technology to travel across space would have very little difficulty coming to terms with (a) feeding themselves (b) the possiblity of hostile surrondings and (c) protecting themselves from microbes and bacteria. "

Why? We can easily travel intercontinental distances (and even to the nearer planets) and can't do any of this without elaborate precautions.
Even interstellar travel does not begin to imply any of the other things. Hell, we can't even protect ourselves from our native microbes.

If the proteins are incompatible, then they simply will not be able to eat us. And however good your hyperdrive, it won;t help you stand up on a planet where gravity is three times what you're built for.

""To earth microbes your alien's body tissues might well be as tasty as teflon. "

Fungal spores seem to grow in any damp, warm place - if they don't have any effective antibodies those aliens could be in trouble. And if they're really completely incompatible, they can forget about eating earth food - cuts both ways.

"For the rest, if they can cope with other factors I can't imagine that they'd be entirely comfortable, though they might acclimatize as we do at high altitudes, for example"

We can only acclimatise within a very limited range of what we encounter on earth. Anything ten times as dense, or a tenth as dense, is another matter entirely.

All the things that earth life takes for granted - radiation levels, magnetic fields, dust - might be bad news for foreigners.

My post near the bottom.

At: http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewt ... c&start=90

If they had this sort of (hypothetical) biochemistry using organic compounds as solvents, they'd need some very heavy duty spacesuits to survive in our enviroment (and you wouldn't want to be standing near them when their suits sprang a leak).

There's no chance of something like this walking among us unoticed (unless it diguised itself as a Dalek at a Doctor Who convention).

just been to the link harelquin posted. worth a read. the 'rational' explanation for this truly weird happening was:

"The main explanation given by Steuart Campbell, is that Bob witnessed a mirage of Venus, which brought on an epileptic fit and caused him to hallucinate the whole encounter." yeah, right.

even if aliens etc were walking among us (which, until actually disproved is a plausibal as them not) they would no doubt be explained away as the planet venus or a satellite. but what would happen if a war of the worlds scenario happened and we were attacked. would the destruction of vast swathes of the built world equally be put down to a mirage of Venusinducing an epileptic fit and causing us all to hallucinate the whole encounter?

think i went off thread a bit. sorry.

united fruitcake outlet said:

"even if aliens etc were walking among us (which, until actually disproved is a plausibal as them not) they would no doubt be explained away as the planet venus or a satellite. but what would happen if a war of the worlds scenario happened and we were attacked. would the destruction of vast swathes of the built world equally be put down to a mirage of Venusinducing an epileptic fit and causing us all to hallucinate the whole encounter?

I think the Murdock press would report it as 'slight difficulties.' Mr Bush and Co would try and make money out of it. And there would be an interestingly titled thread about the whole affair on this board...
:)

"even if aliens etc were walking among us (which, until actually disproved is a plausibal as them not)"

Huh? You could apply the same to unicorns, dragons, shoggoth, wookies...until you have some evidence for ETs specifically, what makes them plausible?

And what would 'disproof' be exactly?

What about this ?

I encountered a couple who left me feeling that they were not the same as I .I had sat on a public bench feeling quite overwhelmed by sadness at the way the world was going and became aware someone was looking at me from the next bench along .I looked up to see a couple looking at me smiling .They were both tall and fair, and although seemed elderly, neither of them had a single line on their faces .The woman spoke to me and although her tone was kind, I remember silently screaming .i have never forgotten them and have told hardly anyone .

Re: What about this ?

honey said:
They were both tall and fair, and although seemed elderly, neither of them had a single line on their faces .

It's amazing what cosmetic surgery can do, if you have the money.

The holographic disguise is failing...

In Cambridge on Saturday on the way to the Grafton centre, I glanced at a stall selling silver jewellery. For a few seconds it seemed as though the face of the woman at the stall was semitransparent and underneath was an incredibly wizened grey face with no nose and black glassy eyes. I did a bit of double take and her face snapped back to normal.

I guess it was just misperception, as I had a slight headache and was feeling a bit spacey (only chemical assistance was a double expresso). No fear, just “hey that’s funny.” I’d be a lot more worried if I hadn’t recognised the face as a type of entity that pops up in dreams from time to time (which I think is my mind playing jokes, not ET).

Timble, I was in the Grafton Centre on Saturday as well!
Small world, etc.
I didn't see the woman at the stall, though.

They Hitchhike Among Us!

Levitating Businessman Calms Half-Wolf!

Jarrianne Sexton of San Diego writes, "I too was visited by a brilliant man, on Mother’s Day in 1988. I was extremely emotionally stressed at the time. I took a drive to Mt. Solidad in La Jolla and later to Las Jolla Cove. I sat on the edge of a high cliff, wondering if life was worth it, then walked back to my car and drove down La Jolla Blvd. There out of nowhere a man in a suit, carrying a briefcase, standing on the side of the street, held out his arm and pointed to me. The traffic was thick and I passed him by. I looked in my rear view mirror and saw him looking right at me from the road, so I stopped and he walked quickly up to me and asked, ‘May I join you?’

"I had never picked up a hitchhiker in my life before. I said, ‘If you want to.’ This person’s name was Daniel. He was well dressed, n a dark, pin-striped suit, white shirt with an open collar, and wearing black, open heeled shoes. He asked me if I’d gone to church that morning. I told him I was at Mt. Solidad, where there is a big cross on top of the mountain. I took him there, and on the way he asked if I would stop at a store. He went in and came out with grape juice and raisins. He asked me what my name was and when I told him, he asked me to repeat it several times, then said, ‘Don’t ever forget who you are.’

"I spent six hours with this man, and here are a few of the things he showed me. He could levitate, and spun in a circle about 3 feet off the ground. He could turn street lamps on. He could make the ocean waves rise 3 to 4 feet higher. He could calm a barking half wolf/half watchdog and make him heel and pet him. In his briefcase he carried a necklace and earring and told me that if I wore them, I could read people’s thoughts. I didn’t want to wear them.

"We talked about earth problems. He had many answers, but said people won’t do the right things to make the best of life and he didn’t understand why...

"By the way, he was thin, about 5’9’’ tall, blond, blue-eyed, with a pasty white face and no tan. When we parted, he asked if I would take him to a hotel. The last time I saw him he was walking into the lobby. This was about nine o’clock at night.

"I told some people about him, but they all thought I was nuts. Sometimes I do think I’m a little stranger than other people."

From: http://www.unknowncountry.com/edge/articles/key.phtml

The Bob Taylor case has always been of interest to me . I am local to the area and clearly remember the day that it happened (in fact it was probably the one incident that sparked my off my whole fortean interest).
I can see Dechmont Law from my house , and as a kid , I used to play in the woods there with my mates . The day after Bob was attacked , we went there out of curiosity . The police were there , starting to cordon off the area , and I remember seeing the markings on the ground . It was a clearing in the middle of the forest and we couldn't understand how it had all happened . It certainly sent a chill down my spine at the time . I know that Bob really was attacked by something that day , and that evidence was left behind in the form of ground markings and burn marks on Bob , but feel we will never know what really happened.

What's all this about, then? Surely there must be some medical condition to explain the appearance - and behaviour - of the 'otherworldy' girl in this encounter. Or do alien hybrids really hang out at libraries?

Location. Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Date: August 11 2005
Time: afternoon
Angela Derzaph was at the local library with her children when a little girl sat right in front of them. She was holding a book and flipping pages but was not reading. She was looking directly at her son who sat reading a book to the witness. She had absolutely no expression on her face and moved her head in a very peculiar manner.

The witness other son was sitting behind the strange girl at another table and never did see her face directly but he did see her from the side. She caught his attention because there was something odd. He noticed that she was holding a book but was looking at his mother. Her eyes shifted and occasionally she would look to the side. But more bizarrely her eyes were "not of this world". They were not deformed but were 2 and a half to three times the size of normal eyes and were almond shaped and incredibly were at a 60degree angle. Everything else about her was normal.

Soon a woman whom the witness assumed was the girl's mother of about 55-years of age approached the girl. She asked her why she was reading French since she did not know how to read French. The girl then stood up without expression almost robotic like and walked around, every so often glancing back at Angela. She grabbed a book off the shelf and threw it in the woman's basket and they left.

source

And here's an intriguing 'doppleganger' encounter from the same page:

Location. Between Olhovka &Sosnovo, Saint Petersburg region, Russia
Date: before March 8 2005
Time: daytime

Vyacheslav Rybachkov was driving his car during the holidays to his country cottage in the village of Olhovka to check to see if everything was in order. When he passed Sosnovo and drove onto the asphalt road located amid a dense pine forest he saw a "man" standing near the roadside. He slowed down and recognized the man as his "neighbor" Volodya (short for Vladimir).

The witness pulled over, stopped and invited him onboard the car and continued his drive to Olhovka. His "neighbor" expressed his joy about not having to walk 10km and began to speak animatedly to the witness asking him about his wife and children. His questions seemed strange, he seemed to be interrogating the witness, asking him questions like, how he lived, what he ate, the state of his children's clothing and asked the witness if he were visiting the church why didn't he obeyed the traditional Orthodox Church rules, like fasts, etc. "Volodya" also asked the witness about his job, salary and state of health.

Strangely as they approached the village, his neighbor (passenger) unexpectedly asked Vyacheslav to stop the car. Once the witness did, his "neighbor" stepped out of the car. The puzzled witness then continued his drive onto the village not bothering to look back on the rearview mirror at his neighbor.

Upon reaching his house he suddenly saw his neighbor "Volodya" chopping wood in his yard. Vladimir (the real one?) spotted the witness, dropped his ax and approached the witness in order to smoke a cigarette. He made small talk asking the witness about his family and surprised the witness reminded him that he had already answered all those questions in the car earlier. Puzzled, Vladimir told the witness that he had been at home the whole day chopping firewood.

The witness noticed that the "real" Vladimir smelled of alcohol, while the man he had picked up earlier had been totally clean and odorless, also the men were dressed in a different manner, and the real Vladimir never asked so many intrusive questions. So evidently he had picked up a different man, who looked exactly like his neighbor Vladimir, almost like a replica, the real Vladimir never had a twin brother. (A camouflaged alien agent performing an investigation on the aspects of earthly social life?).

wembley8 said:
Why? We can easily travel intercontinental distances (and even to the nearer planets) and can't do any of this without elaborate precautions.
Even interstellar travel does not begin to imply any of the other things. Hell, we can't even protect ourselves from our native microbes.

If the proteins are incompatible, then they simply will not be able to eat us. And however good your hyperdrive, it won;t help you stand up on a planet where gravity is three times what you're built for.

Well, I guess the idea is that any 'alien' life form that would be able to walk amoung us and not be noticeable as different, would of needed to come from very similar conditions. And considering the odds, maybe 1/20'th of the alien planets would have people who look very similar to us. Aliens of an extremely different origin are obviously not the ones that could blend in.

Or they could simply be very sophisticated holograms projected from a remote source (which might also explain their knack for walking through walls, appearing and disappearing into thin air, and even flying). Or they may be robots (which might explain the jerky movements and artificial-sounding voices reported by some witnesses. )

Regarding “shape shifting” and the question of whether aliens could survive here, I think many here are thinking way too far inside the box.

Consider:

We currently have the ability to transplant some body parts and replace others with artificial parts. We can currently grow a new human ear on the back of a mouse. In a decade or three we will probably be able to grow most any new body part to order. And within that same time period learn to completely manipulate our unborn offsprings’ physical, mental, and psychological traits. We are experimenting with direct interfaces between nervous systems, computers, and robotic devices.

These sorts of capabilities were not only not forseen, they were not even plausible fantasies one hunderd years ago.

Fast forward just one thousand years. If we’re still around, what will we have become? What will be the definition of a “human being” then? Will there be any clear distinction between engineered machines and biological beings, or between natural and artificial intelligence? Is it unreasonable to suppose we could engineer just about any kind of body we wanted, adaptable to any environment capable of supporting life? Or that we could dispatch intelligent machines to distant planets to manufacture beings of our design from the native materials found there?

I don’t think we can even begin to imagine how impossibly strange our own descendants will be a thousand years from now. It would be even more futile to guess at what the capabilities and motives of a slightly more advanced alien race might be.

Could they imitate us and walk among us undetected if they wanted to? I don't see why not, once they've picked up the local vernacular.

FWIW - if we do ever get to the stage technologically where we are able to send a "manned" expedition into the depths of space, the ideal crew member would probably be some kind of genetically engineered bio-robot.

Able to work in dangerous environments, withstand extremes of heat, cold and radiation, such a creature would also ideally have a long life span and the capability to go into a state of extended 'hibernation' on what could be an extremely long journey.

Given that the most likely genetic candidate for longevity would be the tortoise and the extended hibernation gene could well be drawn from a species of desert toad, when mixed up with the human genes necessary for brain power and agility, the result could very well be something not unlike the classic 'grey alien'.

Now tie this up with the reports of tall nordic type aliens and remember that first world humans just keep on getting taller and... well I think you can see where this is going.

GiulioNapolitani said:
FWIW - if we do ever get to the stage technologically where we are able to send a "manned" expedition into the depths of space, the ideal crew member would probably be some kind of genetically engineered bio-robot.

Able to work in dangerous environments, withstand extremes of heat, cold and radiation, such a creature would also ideally have a long life span and the capability to go into a state of extended 'hibernation' on what could be an extremely long journey.

Given that the most likely genetic candidate for longevity would be the tortoise and the extended hibernation gene could well be drawn from a species of desert toad, when mixed up with the human genes necessary for brain power and agility, the result could very well be something not unlike the classic 'grey alien'.

I had speculated about this myself, as many of the accounts describe the aliens as being 'robotic', and their behaviour seems somehow 'artificial' or pre-programmed.

I think that genetical manipulations done to create a well constructed 'robot' would appear very indifferent to a race which is quite a bit more biologically advanced than ourselves. The more biologically advanced they are in a natural way, the more their body structure would seem closer to perfect in our minds. Think a second; evolution would eventually put them (genetically) to a stage where they already use technological leaps to acheive it.

They dine among us too, apparently:

Bizarre Alien Encounter
by Darlene Whitney

I was bartending at an elegant restaurant called the CliffHanger in the San Bernardino Mountains of Southern California. It was well known for its beautiful view of the cities below and a place for skiers and visitors to stop on their way up the mountain range to the resorts. I was the only person in the restaurant, other than the cooks in the kitchen on the other side of the building.

We were due to open for lunch in less than 15 minutes when this couple, a man and a woman, walked in. They were both wearing sunglasses and seemed to be tourists. Even though I was still setting up the bar, I offered them a cocktail. The man gave me their order and upon serving them, I went back to my job. They quietly sat there, looking straight ahead, not saying a single word. Not to me or to each other. I thought this was odd, but kept on working, occasionally glancing their way to see if they were close to needing a refill.

All of a sudden, the woman lifted her sunglasses as if to read something on the back wall of the bar and then slowly lowered them. I was shocked and amazed at what I saw! She had large almond-shaped eyes with no white at all, they were completely black! At first I thought I was seeing things, but as they finished their drinks and suddenly got up to leave, I knew I had had a close encounter with someone, or something, from another world. Although nothing was said, telepathically or otherwise (at least nothing that I was aware of) I wasn't frightened or alarmed, but actually felt very serene.

I don't know what their purpose was for coming there or if it was just a stopping off place on the way to their final destination, but it was a truly bizarre encounter! Oddly enough, not too long after their visit, my boss, the owner of the restaurant, who often spent nights in the apartment upstairs, committed suicide and the restaurant closed down. Coincidence or not, we'll never know. But to me, it was truly a mysterious encounter that I will never forget.
source

Could be Persons in Black. Did they stuff jelly into their pockets?

Back