They've Broken New Zealand

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Was just reading about this. Absolutely horrendous. Are you a NZer, @Naughty_Felid? I'm so sorry for your country, if so. Take it easy today. X
I'm mixed British and Kiwi - It's just horrible we don't know how to deal with it. I've spoken to family and it's just destroyed the country. New Zeland is VERY tolerant and multicultural it's a small place where the evil of the world was forgotten - not anymore.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Shocking news.

Looks like the ringleader is an Australian national.
Claims his motive was 'revenge'.

Calls to reassess NZ's liberal gun laws.
How easy is it to acquire an assault rifle over there?
Unless the attackers brought their weapons in from Australia - which raises questions about border checks.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Shocking news.

Looks like the ringleader is an Australian national.
Claims his motive was 'revenge'.

Calls to reassess NZ's liberal gun laws.
How easy is it to acquire an assault rifle over there?
Unless the attackers brought their weapons in from Australia - which raises questions about border checks.
I thought not that easy and the use of assault weapons in crime are pretty non-existent.

I work with quite a few Kiwis. I've noticed that there's a tendency to assume responsibility for things that go wrong - or, if not exactly that, a sense that they somehow need to explain/apologise for any of the bad stuff that happens on the Islands. This is really going to hurt - not only the victims and their families, but the whole nation. This is a situation where I can message condolences to people who will have no direct connection to this - may not even be in the country - but know that it will be relevant and appropriate.

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide
It seems the Australian ringleader has anti-immigration motives. Ironic coming from the visitor who has brought such misery to New Zealand.

Lord Lucan

Ephemeral Spectre
Horrific, barbaric and brutal. Reports I've just read are now stating 49 dead with dozens seriously wounded. What can one say to such a loss of this enormity? On days like this, the Devil truly does walk amongst us.

It seems the Australian ringleader has anti-immigration motives. Ironic coming from the visitor who has brought such misery to New Zealand.
And is, in the first place, Australian.

And apparently lauded his Scots/Irish/English heritage on social media.

Because, of course, Australia is an ancient culture based on an island in the Irish channel - equidistant between Liverpool, Dublin and Glasgow.

(Edit: I should emphasise that the above is an observation on the cogency of a particular individual's argument - and in no way a general criticism of Australia or Australians.)

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Just catching up. All extremely unpleasant. The odd little side-story is:

Before walking into a mosque and calmly executing dozens of innocents, the shooter in the livestream reminds his viewers to subscribe to PewDiePie.

Vardoger

Bring the Beat Back!
Had problem sleeping during the night and turned on TV which was all about the shocking terror attacks in New Zealand.

Users on the website Godlikeproductions was cheering on while it all happened. Not surprised, it has turned more into a radical right wing site where the hate against leftists and muslims have become more important than conspiracies.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
"PewDiePie Is ‘Sickened’ After New Zealand Mosque Shooter Names Him in Attack Video
Man identifying himself as Brenton Tarrant says, “Remember lads, subscribe to PewDiePie” before opening fire"

https://www.thewrap.com/pewdiepie-i...and-mosque-shooter-names-him-in-attack-video/
Clicked on your link and was disgusted to see that "PewDiePie" has moved to the UK.
Given the vile statements he has been associated with (Death to all Jews and Hitler did nothing wrong amongst them) haven't we got a strong case for kicking him out back to Sweden?
The fact that a miscreant like that had 89 million YouTube followers makes you despair about humanity.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
To be clear, did he actually say either "Death to all Jews" or "Hitler did nothing wrong."?

I recall he paid somebody to hold up a sign bearing the first expression on camera (to see whether they'd actually do it), but I don't know anything about the second one.

I'd be shocked if he acually turned out to be a nazi or an anti-semite. He just goes (went) in for edgy pranks.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
To be clear, did he actually say either "Death to all Jews" or "Hitler did nothing wrong."?

I recall he paid somebody to hold up a sign bearing the first expression on camera (to see whether they'd actually do it), but I don't know anything about the second one.

I'd be shocked if he acually turned out to be a nazi or an anti-semite. He just goes (went) in for edgy pranks.
Oh come on Yith.
That goes way beyond edgy.
Whether he actually stated those vile words is immaterial.
He clearly had no qualms being associated with such sentiment.
I'm sure there are grounds to kick the scumbag out.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
So so sad, everybody is devastated. It doesn't happen in NZ. Beautiful country and these fuckers have broken it. Beyond upset.
I understand that emotion is still so very raw, but no, terrorism like this will not break New Zealand, any more than the PLO broke Germany after the Munich atrocity or France broke after the Charlie Hébdo and Bataclan attacks, Australia after the Bali bombing, the USA after 9/11 or U.K. after IRA and islamist attacks.
Civilised society is bigger and stronger than terrorists will ever be.

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
So so sad, everybody is devastated. It doesn't happen in NZ. Beautiful country and these fuckers have broken it. Beyond upset.
I am so sorry to hear of the crimes there today - I have family in the "land of the long white cloud" . Innocents copping some scumbag's misplaced anger, sadly not an uncommon occurrence these days. Everything seems angry.

Rahere

Junior Acolyte
They've broken New Zealand? Only if you let them. The point is, we have peddlars of hate in the world, negative souls whose greatest joy is to bring despair to others. They win if you let them.

If, on the other hand, you pick up your courage in both hands, put the broken heart back together again, and tell them, "You don't own me", then they lose. Tell them that in song.

Silence in Heaven
Silence on Earth
Silence within!

Thy hush, O Lord
O'er all the world covers the din
I do not fear to speak of thee in mortal kind
And yet to all thy namelessness I am not blind
Only I need and kneel again
Thy touch to win

Silence in Heav'n
Silence on Earth
Silence within!

GNC

King-Sized Canary
They've been saying right wing terrorists, or rather white, Western right wing terrorists, are the new, big threat for the 21st century. Tragedies like this seem to prove that. Hatred is spreading like a virus. I'm not going to give in to that.

Lord Lucan

Ephemeral Spectre
I have just read that there was a livestream video of the killings by the perpetrator and that copies of it have proliferated widely.

For the avoidance of doubt: DO NOT POST LINKS TO THE FOOTAGE ANYWHERE ON THIS BOARD.
There was, and it was as nightmarish as you could imagine. I was at work yesterday and had a period where we had no customers. I opened Facebook and there was a page describing what was happening in New Zealand just a few moments earlier linking to what I initially thought was a news report, live from the situation. It wasn't.
I by no means wish to trivialize this tragic event but what I saw looked like the most graphic computer game come to life. Your warning is appropriate and if anyone is tempted to seek footage out elsewhere, please don't. It is haunting in its callousness and brutality and not something easily forgotten.

Last edited:

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Something I really can't help thinking about this particular attack is whether it would have happened in the way it did or possibly at all if there hadn't been the expectation that the news media would be all over it exactly the way that they have been and will continue to be for weeks or perhaps months.

Do not mean that in any way to lessen the responsibility of the perpetrators, just that there is a type of turd now who knows exactly how the news cycle works and how to use that to their advantage. I've stewarded demos of 10s of thousands of people which hardly got a mention and where we were goaded by turds who said they would get better news coverage, then they go off and assault a copper outside Downing Street and that happens just as they said.

Mainstream news sources hosting the live feed footage and the idiots propaganda materials is still a new low.

Ogdred Weary

Cosmically Triggered
Something I really can't help thinking about this particular attack is whether it would have happened in the way it did or possibly at all if there hadn't been the expectation that the news media would be all over it exactly the way that they have been and will continue to be for weeks or perhaps months.

Do not mean that in any way to lessen the responsibility of the perpetrators, just that there is a type of turd now who knows exactly how the news cycle works and how to use that to their advantage. I've stewarded demos of 10s of thousands of people which hardly got a mention and where we were goaded by turds who said they would get better news coverage, then they go off and assault a copper outside Downing Street and that happens just as they said.

Mainstream news sources hosting the live feed footage and the idiots propaganda materials is still a new low.
Psychologists et al many years ago argued that a way to reduce mass shootings in the US would be to give them the absolute bare minimum of news coverage... look how that turned out.