• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Thieves Take Brain Remote Control

A

Anonymous

Thieves take brain remote control

A medical device which allows a woman to sleep by switching off an implant in her brain has been stolen.

Rita Carlisle, 53, from Knaphill, Surrey, suffers from a condition called essential tremor.

The stolen remote control gadget sends out pulses to calm the condition and can be switched off so she can rest.

Ms Carlisle, who now struggles to sleep, was carrying the device and £600 cash in a handbag which was stolen in Farnborough, Hants, on 23 December.

Christmas 'ruined'

She said: "I'm extremely tired, I'm getting three to four hours' sleep a night, I can't turn the machine off.

"I had my second operation on 13 December and it was my first outing after leaving hospital.

"I just wish the people who stole the machine would give it back.

"They have totally ruined Christmas and the New Year. There was £600 in my bag as well so they have had a good Christmas out of me."

Ms Carlisle says she is hopeful, but not certain, that the hospital caring for her - the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery in central London - will be able to replace the device.

Police appeal

It was inside a grey and black canvas pouch, about the size of a pencil case.

The box, made by Medtronic, had four grey buttons and two blue buttons on it and has the serial number 7436.

Hampshire Police appealed for the thief to let them know where it is.

A spokesman said: "It would be of little use to anyone else."

The handbag was stolen at Asda supermarket in Farnborough.

Anyone with information was asked to call Pc Robin Ellis on 0845 045 45 45 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4142183.stm

Update for closure ...

This article:

https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/local-news/grateful-rita-walking-back-happiness-4849300

... provides an overview of how the deep brain stimulation made a huge difference in Ms. Carlisle's life. It also provides a photo of Ms. Carlisle holding the remote device.

Ms. Carlisle eventually received a replacement control device ...

Vital medical equipment replaced
A woman who had a vital piece of medical equipment, which allows her to sleep, stolen has found a replacement.
Rita Carlisle, 53, from Knaphill, Surrey, suffers from a condition called essential tremor.

The £22,000 remote control gadget sends out pulses to calm the condition and can be switched off so she can rest.

Ms Carlisle was said to be "chuffed" after the National Hospital for Neurology found a new one after the theft, which happened before Christmas. ...

Ms Carlisle has not worked since May 2003 and hoped the device would help her to find a new job.

She said: "When it's off, I can shake uncontrollably but when it's on, no-one would know there is anything wrong with me.

"It's a whole new lease of life for me, I have never been able not to shake before." ...

SOURCE: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/southern_counties/4151259.stm

Back