• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Things Coming In Threes

After much soul-searching, common sense has prevailed, and our two feline overlords will remain in the UK when we migrate. Sadder still, we are migrating to an equatorial country, and while I shall miss the cats for a variety of reasons, I foresee that the ability to outsource arachnid* eviction to them could be pretty high up the list.

* If lenticular is the adjective for a cloud that looks like a saucer, what's the word for a spider the size of a dinner plate?o_O

Careful, if your cats learn of your plans they might:

A US man has resorted to calling the authorities after a stand-off with his pet cat entered its third hour, leaving him stranded outside his house in the middle of the night.

Mohammed Lokman called 911 after he was effectively blocked from entering his home by the angry feline.

Mr Lokman, of Connecticut, told the 911 operator that the cat had become angry and aggressive, apparently after giving birth.

"My cat was getting too aggressive," he said, according to KFOR News.

"I was inside and he attacked me and he started scratching my leg and biting me. So me and my wife went outside and now we cannot go in there for like three, four hours."

The operator, clearly confused, asks him: "You said this was a cat?"

"Yes," Mr Lockman replies, "We cannot move. We cannot do anything. It's so aggressive and so mad."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...ls-police-for-help-in-stand-off-with-cat.html

"Yes," Mr Lockman replies, "We cannot move. We cannot do anything. It's so aggressive and so mad."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...ls-police-for-help-in-stand-off-with-cat.html

To be fair, I've been kept out of a room by an angry cat too, also shortly (day or so) after she had kittens.

Luckily, it was the attic, which wasn't used, but somehow she decided that was were she wanted to be, snook up and by the time we'd realised where she was, she was already two kittens into a littler of four. We left her to it, just taking water, food and a littler tray up. My then partner had managed top up the water etc earlier and after I had tried, so maybe it was just me?

I mentioned this very thing the other day! Infact I have been quite worried.
Late in the evening a few weeks ago an ambulance was called to my neighbours home, early the next morning my friend and neighbour knocked on the door in tears. Her 20 year old youngest son had passed away suddenly, he was a beautiful person inside and out and it was a very dark few days..very sad. The ambulance that took him had number 13 on it's roof, his funeral was also on the 13th.
Last week my husband received one of those dreaded early hours phone calls, his grandad was in a bad way and indeed he passed away a few hours later. Tomorrow he will attend his second funeral in the last few weeks.
I have been worrying about the third cropping up. :(

I mentioned this very thing the other day! Infact I have been quite worried.
Late in the evening a few weeks ago an ambulance was called to my neighbours home, early the next morning my friend and neighbour knocked on the door in tears. Her 20 year old youngest son had passed away suddenly, he was a beautiful person inside and out and it was a very dark few days..very sad. The ambulance that took him had number 13 on it's roof, his funeral was also on the 13th.
Last week my husband received one of those dreaded early hours phone calls, his grandad was in a bad way and indeed he passed away a few hours later. Tomorrow he will attend his second funeral in the last few weeks.
I have been worrying about the third cropping up. :(

Honeyplanet, that's really sad news. :(

I sincerely hope that things pick up for you and your neighbours soon. (hug)

Thankyou, the street just seems so very empty at the moment. My friend is usually a very happy person who's allways laughing, a little bit of her sunshine has gone and it's heartbreaking. It certainly makes you question everything! He had so much to give the world a genuine good soul who'd help anyone :(
I've been cooking meals for them over the last few weeks, selfishly it's made me feel better. No parent's should have to bury a son three weeks before his 21st.
we were just starting to settle back down when that earlyhours call came. Dreading the third..hopefully the theory will prove to be wrong.

Thankyou, the street just seems so very empty at the moment. My friend is usually a very happy person who's allways laughing, a little bit of her sunshine has gone and it's heartbreaking. It certainly makes you question everything! He had so much to give the world a genuine good soul who'd help anyone :(
I've been cooking meals for them over the last few weeks, selfishly it's made me feel better. No parent's should have to bury a son three weeks before his 21st.
we were just starting to settle back down when that earlyhours call came. Dreading the third..hopefully the theory will prove to be wrong.

Hopefully there won't be a third in your case.

Your loving support and kindness will give them strength and yes, your selfless cooking too :) It does hit us even harder when a child or young man/women is taken so early in their life. Tell your nieghbours, I send them my love X

Your loving support and kindness will give them strength and yes, your selfless cooking too :) It does hit us even harder when a child or young man/women is taken so early in their life. Tell your nieghbours, I send them my love X

I send my love too. Been there, done that, it doesn't get any easier with time. You just get tougher.

Yesterday I -

1 Swallowed a fly (walking with my mouth open).
2 Set off the smoke alarm and fell off a stool when I was trying to reach it.
3 Smashed the bathroom window.

If you're wondering how I managed to pull off number three, I'll just say that it was fly-related as well. Add to that a long-handled bath brush with a detachable head and there's your answer.

Screen Shot 2017-06-13 at 09.54.27jpeg.jpg

The is a grand old thread so I'll give it a nice :bump:

Though not generally superstitious I do feel little pressure around funerals.

Where I live there are many irrational beliefs around the rituals of death. One is that when you pull your funeral clothes out of the wardrobe, you may as well leave them out because there will soon be two more to go to.

I remembered this a few years ago when I went to three funerals in short order. My sumptuous Laura Ashley funeral frock is still out. I daren't put it away.

Sumptuous Laura Ashley and funeral frock? I have not enough imagination to envision such a worthy dress--can we have a pic?

Sumptuous Laura Ashley and funeral frock? I have not enough imagination to envision such a worthy dress--can we have a pic?
I'm looking at it right now. Still daren't put it away. :chuckle:

Wore it in May. The other two funerals I'm superstitiously expecting are not yet announced.

Have to say, even thinking about all this leaves me feeling vaguely unsettled. :nods:

I'm looking at it right now. Still daren't put it away. :chuckle:

Wore it in May. The other two funerals I'm superstitiously expecting are not yet announced.

Have to say, even thinking about all this leaves me feeling vaguely unsettled. :nods:
Just read David's #43 post above.
That'll cheer you up.

According to the influential German phi;lospher G.W. F Hegel, society continually moves forward via a spiritual force which acts in three stages.

First you have a Thesis (ie some group of people forward a new paradigm on something) then you have an Antithesis (ie another group of people then sets itself up in opposition to the thesis with a critique of it) - then the third stage is the Synthesis - where the Thesis and Antithesis combine to form a new Thesis - and so the cycle begins again....

According to Bertrand Russell, Hegel was more or less obsessed with the number 3. For example, if he had a cakke, he would immediately divide it up into three segments.

Last edited:
Ah, but do we often forget all the other things that have happened?

Your fridge packs up, you get a big bill and your car fails it's mot- but you also tripped up in the street, cut yourself shaving, burnt the toast, and got short changed.

Ah, but do we often forget all the other things that have happened?

Your fridge packs up, you get a big bill and your car fails it's mot- but you also tripped up in the street, cut yourself shaving, burnt the toast, and got short changed.
That's a run of bad luck, a different situation altogether. Possibly caused by breaking a mirror or walking under a ladder.

When I saw this thread, it stirred up some deep emotions.

In my childhood days we lived with my grandmother ( mom’s mom ) until about 10 years until my dad made enough money to move out.

My grandmother”s group was a little strange and the type that believed children should be seen not heard.

But they did believe funerals came in three.

I hate to say this, but they were right.

And in today’s time if the car needs fixing, then usually two other things need work also.

Back