• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Things Falling From The Sky Over Brum!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Escette has been texting me just now about brightly-shining objects falling from the sky over the south-west Black Country area. She says they looked like planes at first but were falling instead of travelling forwards.

This was around 07:10-30 today, 5th October.

I remember reading recently that a defunct space station, possibly Russian, was imminently expected to break up and harmlessly fall to earth. Is this it? I bet there'll be some nice photos on the news later.

Escette has been texting me just now about brightly-shining objects falling from the sky over the south-west Black Country area. She says they looked like planes at first but were falling instead of travelling forwards.

This was around 07:10-30 today, 5th October.

I remember reading recently that a defunct space station, possibly Russian, was imminently expected to break up and harmlessly fall to earth. Is this it? I bet there'll be some nice photos on the news later.
Unusual for that sort of stuff to fall over land - it's normally planned to bring it down over the deep oceans. But Brum is more or less the centre of Britain. I'll look out for more news.

I saw several bright flashes in the sky over Liverpool last night around 9PM, like lightening, but there was no storm.

Did she get any photos?

Unusual for that sort of stuff to fall over land - it's normally planned to bring it down over the deep oceans. But Brum is more or less the centre of Britain. I'll look out for more news.

"Escette has been texting me just now about brightly-shining objects falling from the sky over the south-west Black Country area. She says they looked like planes at first but were falling instead of travelling forwards.

This was around 07:10-30 today, 5th October."

It would have been still dusk at that time, and thinking about it again the description sounds very like parachute flares, used for illumination or signalling. Perhaps there was some sort of military exercise on in the area?

...This was around 07:10-30 today, 5th October."

It would have been still dusk at that time...
I read it as more dawn than dusk, though your explanation is not made any less valid by that that.

If it was 7:10 am, as opposed to pm (and thinking about it, we haven't had 7:10 pm yet!), I'd have been driving along the M42 near Solihull at that time. The area mentioned would have been about 20 miles to my right. For what it's worth (ie nothing at all), I noticed nothing unusual in the Western sky this morning.

Yup, it was this morning. Escette did tell me what direction the lights were, in relation to where she was, but as my phone battery is flat I can't access her texts right now to check.

A bit of news research reveals one cause could be the Orionid Meteor showers, mentioned above.

From http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/events/orionid-meteor-shower :

"This year the Orionid Meteor Shower will be visible from 2 October to 7 November, peaking on 20 October.

The Orionids are a remnant of Comet Halley and at its peak you could see up to 20 shooting stars per hour. Orionid meteors are known to be very fast travelling at around 41 miles per second, and typically on the faint side, although with clear, dark skies you still have a good chance of spotting one with its persistent, long trail.

The Orionid meteor shower is named as such because it appears to radiate from the constellation Orion, which is one of the most visible and recognisable in the sky throughout the world.

Star gazers will be looking for clear, cloudless skies to have the best possible chance of catching a glimpse of the meteor shower. Ideally a location away from light pollution will be of benefit"

Orion would still be above the horizon at 0700am, so it could be Orionids.

Orion would still be above the horizon at 0700am, so it could be Orionids.
But those meteors would not necessarily appear to be falling - with Orion about 45 deg above the horizon, they'd mostly be rising, or perhaps travelling sideways.

Back