Things Found Inside Second-Hand Books (Inscriptions; Papers; Etc.)

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
I'm sure I'm not the only person here who loves finding used books. I always feel that they bring a sense of history, of previous owners and years spent lying on shelves waiting for a new owner to discover them.

I am always fascinated to find second-hand bookshops' names stamped inside them (interesting and sometimes a little saddening to check them out on Google Maps and see if they've survived), and also the weird stuff people have used as bookmarks, and thought I'd share some of these- no idea if anyone other than me will find this interesting, but hopefully someone gets something from it.

A couple of pics to start off, more to follow...

20200522_202210_resize_90.jpg

20200522_211909_compress73.jpg

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
When I used the town library a lot there must have one or two of my improvised bookmarks left in - scraps of newspaper, bus tickets, leaves etc.

I once took a book back in which I'd accidentally left a working model I'd made of a certain soap actress performing the sex act for which she had inadvertently become famous.
For some reason the librarian riffled through the book, found it and handed it back. Deadpan. I couldn't deny it was mine, she'd only been in the tabloids about it a day or two before.

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
20200523_161232_compress43.jpg

Found in a 1960s paperback book of EC horror comics reprints. Name and address removed for the privacy of the pet owner.

Delighted to see on Google Maps that the St.Angelus Pet Hospital is still at the address on the receipt, 54 years later!

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
That's great - hey wait a minute, Tom Baker wasn't in The Abominable Snowmen! This isn't canon! *goes off in a tizzy*
don't be silly, of course The Doctor was :p

Ringo

Less than 2m away
Reaction score
I must be in a soppy mood because the idea of finding instructions, clues, notes and secret messages in old books has filled me with glee, delight and a whimsical sense of "I need to have an adventure".

I once found a book which had certain individual letters underlined on the first page of text. I (rather fantastically) imagined that it was a code cipher for some cold war spy. The letters didn't spell anything though.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
I found a book (in a shop) that had been autographed by Ray Bradbury. I assume it was, unless it was someone pretending.
My father found a book of short stories signed Leon Trotsky 1936 and was excited; it seemed plausible, the book was a collection of short stories by James T. Farrell (who had been a Trotskyist). Sadly when he turned to the copoyright page it turned out that the book had been printed in the 1940s after Trotsky's death.

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
My father found a book of short stories signed Leon Trotsky 1936 and was excited; it seemed plausible, the book was a collection of short stories by James T. Farrell (who had been a Trotskyist). Sadly when he turned to the copoyright page it turned out that the book had been printed in the 1940s after Trotsky's death.
Not n(ice pick)ings, then.

maximus otter

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
When I used the town library a lot there must have one or two of my improvised bookmarks left in - scraps of newspaper, bus tickets, leaves etc.

I once took a book back in which I'd accidentally left a working model I'd made of a certain soap actress performing the sex act for which she had inadvertently become famous.
For some reason the librarian riffled through the book, found it and handed it back. Deadpan. I couldn't deny it was mine, she'd only been in the tabloids about it a day or two before.
I know who you mean - it took place in a car, yes?

I'm interested in this 'working model' - was it constructed from a photo of said celebrity or more of an artful origami contraption? And was an artists impression of a todger involved? Just trying to picture the scenario.

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
Reaction score
I love findind things inside old books. A postcard sent from Brighton in the 1960s, another postcard of a somewhat whimsical whale that reminded me of the illustrations from Moomins books (I sent that one to a friend). Old shopping lists, receipts, bookmarks....

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I know who you mean - it took place in a car, yes?

I'm interested in this 'working model' - was it constructed from a photo of said celebrity or more of an artful origami contraption? And was an artists impression of a todger involved? Just trying to picture the scenario.
Yup, there was indeed a photo of her holding the todger. The clever bit was that you couldn't see the todger until you pulled the tab at the side which moved the todger up and into Ms X's mouth. Then you could move another that made her head move up and down. All rather adolescent.

It was something I did a lot; often used to make little cut-out toys and moving paper and card models for my kids. and show them how to do it themselves. The Cat and the Fiddle, Humpty Dumpty etc, doing what they do.
Not todgers, of course.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Yup, there was indeed a photo of her holding the todger. The clever bit was that you couldn't see the todger until you pulled the tab at the side which moved the todger up and into Ms X's mouth. Then you could move another that made her head move up and down. All rather adolescent.

It was something I did a lot; often used to make little cut-out toys and moving paper and card models for my kids. and show them how to do it themselves. The Cat and the Fiddle, Humpty Dumpty etc, doing what they do.
Not todgers, of course.
I'm sure she'd appreciate your effort to commemorate the occasion.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I'm sure she'd appreciate your effort to commemorate the occasion.
The fact that she never saw it is a is a blight on my artistic career.

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
In my early 20's, I left a note in the back of a library book, asking what the next reader thought of said book, but when I went back the next month, the book was there, but not the note. I've often wondered what they thought of the book (the title I've since forgotten), and the note...