Things Found Inside Second-Hand Books (Inscriptions; Papers; Etc.)

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
One autograph and one library stamp;

20200527_080906_compress53.jpg

20200527_080939_compress58.jpg

I like Timothy Good's style of writing the date! The book has a lovely dedication written above it too- didn't include that in the pic as it has a name in it, but the message says "to [person's name] with warmest regards always, and admiration for your pioneering work".

Btw, thanks to whichever mod changed the threat title- its much better than the dull one I'd originally used!

Last edited:

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
In a secondhand copy of Boulton J 2014 100 Ideas that Changed the Web

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1780673701/

From the school's website https://www.stdunstans.org.uk/about/values-and-aims

Translating as ‘Adorn the White’, our College motto, Albam Exorna, is as relevant today as it was at the time of our Lewisham foundation, in 1888. The white shield that serves as three quarters of our College crest is a blank canvas onto which is emblazoned the as-yet-unwritten story of each St Dunstan’s pupil.
bookplate.jpg

feinman

Only human skeptics will be probed..
Reaction score
One autograph and one library stamp;

View attachment 26611

View attachment 26612

I like Timothy Good's style of writing the date! The book has a lovely dedication written above it too- didn't include that in the pic as it has a name in it, but the message says "to [person's name] with warmest regards always, and admiration for your pioneering work".

Btw, thanks to whichever mod changed the threat title- its much better than the dull one I'd originally used!
Cool! He is good --I have one of his books in our UFO section at work. Michael Swords, too.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
In my early 20's, I left a note in the back of a library book, asking what the next reader thought of said book, but when I went back the next month, the book was there, but not the note. I've often wondered what they thought of the book (the title I've since forgotten), and the note...
Librarian probably found it.

feinman

Reaction score
Librarian probably found it.
Librarians find a lot of interesting things in returned books! I've found a lot of interesting things just laying around the library before too. We stopped folks from eating at computers with all of the crumbs in keyboards after we started witnessing Dali-like ant swarms. I've found a used prophylactic device laying on the floor in middle of library. What used to annoy me years ago when I shelved books at OSU library in Corvallis, were the secret stashes of in-demand books and other items students had hid behind other books in the stacks --positive rat nests.

feinman

Reaction score
The legend is that the Cipher manuscripts from Golden Dawn were found in a used book store:
"Wynn Wescott claimed to have obtained these manuscripts from A.F.A. Woodford, who had found them in a secondhand bookstall on Wellington Road in London, and who gave them to his friend Westcott to be decoded. The cipher folios are drawn in black ink on cotton paper watermarked 1809. "
http://goldendawnancientmysteryschool.com/golden-dawn-magical-tradition/cipher-manuscripts/

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
I've found a used prophylactic device laying on the floor in middle of library. What used to annoy me years ago when I shelved books at OSU library in Corvallis, were the secret stashes of in-demand books and other items students had hid behind other books in the stacks --positive rat nests.
I must admit that I think the used prophylactic would annoy me more than the hidden books- you're obviously a more patient and dedicated person than I am!

feinman

Reaction score
I must admit that I think the used prophylactic would annoy me more than the hidden books- you're obviously a more patient and dedicated person than I am!
Heh! Yeah, that was a shocker. I mean I've been in some strange places, but how folks could find space to do that in our compressed library is hard to say.. Perhaps it was transported in, but it was erm.. fresh. o_O

feinman

Reaction score
--Of course there is the possibility it was some kind of solo maneuver.. :sneaky2:
<edit> coulda been a joke.. I didn't get up close and put it under the 'scope. I WANT to believe that!

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
I'm a great admirer of the photographer David Douglas Duncan - ex USMC, died at 102 a couple of years ago - and was more than a little chuffed to pick this up for peanuts at a book fair some years ago:

20200531_193219.jpg

I was even more pleased to find an inscription - from the photographer himself - inside:

20200531_193426.jpg

However - I can't quite make it all out (the knife is just there to hold the page down - there's no handwriting under it):

28 Jan (June?) 69

Castillonnès, France

En(?) ? ?

With friendship

and good luck

and

? G.O.P. land!

Saludos(?)

David Duncan

Anyone got any idea about the gaps?

(On a slight aside, one of the stories associated with Duncan is that as a young man he photographed John Dillinger by accident - I've always thought that a person could dine out for a lifetime on that tale alone.)

Last edited:

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
I'm a great admirer of the photographer David Douglas Duncan - ex USMC, died at 102 a couple of years ago - and was more than a little chuffed to pick this up for peanuts at a book fair some years ago:

View attachment 26772

I was even more pleased to find an inscription - from the photographer himself - inside:

View attachment 26773

However - I can't quite make it all out (the knife is just there to hold the page down - there's no handwriting under it):

28 Jan (June?) 69

Castillonnès, France

En(?) ? ?

With friendship

and good luck

and

? G.O.P. land!

Saludo(?)

David Dunne

(On a slight aside, one of the stories associated with Duncan is that as a young man he photographed John Dillinger by accident - I've always thought that a person could dine out for a lifetime on that tale alone.)
For Clegg Deidre?

. . .

Happy G. O. P. land
. . .

Saludes? :confused:

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score

View attachment 26772

View attachment 26773

28 Jan (June?) 69

Castillonnès, France

En(?) ? ?

With friendship

and good luck

and

? G.O.P. land!

Saludo(?)

David Dunne

Happy G.O.P. land” (?)

Saludos

l assume that G.O.P refers to the US Republican political party, the “Grand Old Party”.

Saludos” is Spanish for “greetings”, as used to multiple people.

maximus otter

PS: Nice knife

m.o.

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
l assume that G.O.P refers to the US Republican political party, the “Grand Old Party”.

Saludos” is Spanish for “greetings”, as used to multiple people...
Yep. Got the GOP reference and I'd actually sussed it was Saludos (and since edited) - that was my error in the initial post.

PS: Nice knife
A Mcusta - Japanese - Damask handle and blade. Scalpel sharp - and I'm not exaggerating.

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
Found inside a copy of J B Priestley's The Doomsday Men, that belonged to my dad.

Currently residing at page 309 of Sarah Bakewell's, How to Live - A Life of Montaigne - in one question and twenty attempts at an answer:

pears.jpg

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I like Pears too.

Made with Glycerine; an interesting product which always used to be the waste of the soap industry.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
Made with Glycerine; an interesting product which always used to be the waste of the soap industry.
I didn't know that.

I don't think I've ever seen Golden Glory.

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
Damask or Damascus? Looks nice.
Bought from a Netherlands based supplier; I think 'Damask' and 'Damascus' might be interchangeable to the Dutch - either that or its mistranslated on the site. It's definitely not made from recycled silk.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Alas, I am oceans away from the bulk of my library, but I have several church service schedule cards (presumably employed as bookmarks) from very specific-sounding denominations

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I've just finished reading a novel that was the victim of mis -printing. Seems they just improvised with some very precisely placed stickers.
20200626_154212.jpg