Things Nobody Knows—And Nobody Ever Will

Jepra Peld

Junior Acolyte
Similarly to the Tamam Shud/Somerton Man case, the Isdal Woman case has long fascinated me. I remember first hearing about it about a decade ago when very little info was out there about it, it has gained a lot more interest recently and progress has been made so maybe we will eventually be able to solve that one.

Regarding Agatha Christie, I've often wondered if she went away to have a termination. Someone as resourceful as Christie would know where to go. I'm probably way off mark, but it's food for thought.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Waiting and watching and seeking a sign..
Similarly to the Tamam Shud/Somerton Man case, the Isdal Woman case has long fascinated me. I remember first hearing about it about a decade ago when very little info was out there about it, it has gained a lot more interest recently and progress has been made so maybe we will eventually be able to solve that one.
I had a (probably rubbish) theory about the Isdal Woman after I first heard about the case. She'd been using eczema cream (some was found in her luggage) and given the recent news stories about skin creams being potentially flammable, I'd surmised that perhaps she'd accidentally gone on fire because of the skin cream, which would explain why the burning was only at the front of her body (i.e. where she'd likely have been applying the cream).

Told you it was a rubbish theory :)

Ringo

Sanitised for your protection
This is a great one isn't it? If you listen to podcasts, there's a wonderful one presented by 'Casefile True Crime' called 'The Somerton Man' which has the best in-depth, well rounded summation of the case that I've come across. It's a must if your fascination with this case continues.
I took your advice and listened to that today. There were a few things there that I didn't know so it was a fun listen. But I have to admit that the hosts tone and meter was hard to listen to.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
I took your advice and listened to that today. There were a few things there that I didn't know so it was a fun listen. But I have to admit that the hosts tone and meter was hard to listen to.
Yes, it's one of their/his earlier ones. Their latest podcasts have a much higher production level. If you're interested, listen to their ones on the Belanglo killer, Ivan Milat, there's nothing Fortean about it, but it's haunting in it's own way. It all happened not far from where I sit as I type this and I know the guy who discovered the first skull and leg bone.

Jepra Peld

Junior Acolyte
I had a (probably rubbish) theory about the Isdal Woman after I first heard about the case. She'd been using eczema cream (some was found in her luggage) and given the recent news stories about skin creams being potentially flammable, I'd surmised that perhaps she'd accidentally gone on fire because of the skin cream, which would explain why the burning was only at the front of her body (i.e. where she'd likely have been applying the cream).

Told you it was a rubbish theory :)
It's by no means the worst theory. It's a fascinating case isn't it?

Moving away from crime, I've been reading about Audubon's mystery birds recently and while there are a lot of plausible theories there doesn't seem to be a one case fits all scenario.

Ogdred Weary

Sooner than expected.
This is a great one isn't it? If you listen to podcasts, there's a wonderful one presented by 'Casefile True Crime' called 'The Somerton Man' which has the best in-depth, well rounded summation of the case that I've come across. It's a must if your fascination with this case continues.
The Astonishing Legends 3-4 episodes are worth a listen, the researcher they spoke to seems to have determined that he probably died by accident, rather than foul play and is pretty certain he's "Jestyn's" son's father.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member