• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Things Nobody Knows—And Nobody Ever Will

I guess its going that way. I'm not sure what i intended when I kicked it off, other then certain mysteries (I was thinking of earthly ones, supernatural or otherwise, not the cosmos) get discussions that just go round and round in circles and after a time it seems difficult for people to accept we just aren't going to know. Bar a time machine or something.

What about the Hinterkaifeck Mystery? I've only come across it recently, via this video:, but it is quite odd.

And probably MH370, which is still perplexing to this day.

Sorry to hear about your friend, Swifty, how tragic but also very strange. :oldm:There is an odd 'feeling' around Rendlesham at times, dunno more than that though.

I've heard of cases of single-car crashes similar to that (not related to Rendlesham) that are but of course I don't know the details of what happened to your friend so I won't go into that further.

Hope you don't mind me asking though, especially considering the gravity of your post, but... you've met Jenny Randles? Author of my all-time favourite and most treasured book Time Storms?
She posts here but under a different name so I've only spoken to her here .. I don't mean to be all cloak and dagger but I respect people's privacy ..

Jenny is a member of these boards.

:wide: *speechless*

She posts here but under a different name so I've only spoken to her here .. I don't mean to be all cloak and dagger but I respect people's privacy ..

No probs, Swifty, I completely agree and I hope I didn't come across as prying, it's just that book means a lot to me. :)

:wide: *speechless*

No probs, Swifty, I completely agree and I hope I didn't come across as prying, it's just that book means a lot to me. :)

Pop over to the UFO board and Jenny has contributed to several threads. Try the Cumberland Spaceman and you'll soon spot her - she's very friendly and chatty!

Right, I've remembered a couple of cases that hopefully fit the bill for this excellent thread.

First one - the "Lead Masks of Vintem Hill" - here's the Wikipedia link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_Masks_Case

Secondly - and I can barely even type this as it is absolutely horrific to even think about:
The Body on the Reservoir - In 1988, the mutilated body of a middle-aged man was found on the banks of an artificial lake in Brazil. Listed as one of the most disturbing deaths of a human being ever recorded, the question is who or what left the body on the reservoir.

As far as I understand this case is real and did happen and the authorities apparently published details of it to the public, but if you know of this case I really think you'd agree that this one will probably never be explained.

I first became aware of this a month or so ago, Mr Zebra and I were watching unexplained stuff on YouTube. This case disturbed me more than anything has ever done before.

Right, I've remembered a couple of cases that hopefully fit the bill for this excellent thread.

Secondly - and I can barely even type this as it is absolutely horrific to even think about:

As far as I understand this case is real and did happen and the authorities apparently published details of it to the public, but if you know of this case I really think you'd agree that this one will probably never be explained.

I first became aware of this a month or so ago, Mr Zebra and I were watching unexplained stuff on YouTube. This case disturbed me more than anything has ever done before.

Ewww. That is indeed nasty. The most disturbing case I had heard about was the prolonged 15 month extreme torture and ultimate death of US army officer and CIA agent William Francis Buckley by Hezbollah and Iranian forces. That would make some medieval torturers gulp in disbelief.

Ewww. That is indeed nasty. The most disturbing case I had heard about was the prolonged 15 month extreme torture and ultimate death of US army officer and CIA agent William Francis Buckley by Hezbollah and Iranian forces. That would make some medieval torturers gulp in disbelief.

Were you aware of the case already? I didn't know how well-known it is among FT folk.
(I didn't put the link in cos I thought it was a bit too much, you know).

15-month torture? I won't google it if you don't mind, but how utterly horrific for the poor man. The depths that some people will go to... *shakes head*.
The thing about this 1988 case though, is that from what I understand, no one knows how it was done or by who. It utterly terrifies me.

First one - the "Lead Masks of Vintem Hill" ...

Secondly - and I can barely even type this as it is absolutely horrific to even think about: ....

Neither of these cases has had its own thread here on FTMB. The primary discussion of the Vintem HIll / Lead Masks case is to be found in the Human Mutilations Case Photos thread:

http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/human-mutilation-case-photos.6682/

A case that seems to match the second one (though occurring in 1994 rather than 1988) - the Guarapiranga reservoir case - is also discussed in that thread.

A third case, also attributed to the Guarapiranga dam / reservoir area but cited as happening in 1997, was discussed in this thread:

Mutilated corpse photo from Brazil... Chupa?
http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/mutilated-corpse-photo-from-brazil-chupa.10239/

Thanks for the links; I'm venturing warily onto the threads to have a read, but scrolling down cautiously in case anyone has posted a picture straight in rather than a link. I'd like to think they wouldn't on here though. :)

The mysteries that end up haunting me the most aren't the ones that may involve truly paranormal phenomena, but rather the ones that almost certainly don't. By this I mean those mysterious outcomes that probably resulted from a random stimulus or unexpectedly bizarre chain of events that made people (almost always in a group) take actions that resulted in catastrophic outcomes. ...

I mentioned the 2 best known such cases, but failed to include another one that haunts me ...

The Yuba County Five: 'An American Dyatlov Pass' Incident (1978)
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...an-american-dyatlov-pass-incident-1978.63445/

In the Dyatlov Pass and Mary Celeste cases the victims were somewhere they were expected to be when whatever it was went sideways.

In the Yuba County case the 5 victims were miles away from anywhere they would have been expected to be traveling, and this is one of the factors that probably doomed them. These guys' obvious decision to continue on in the direction they'd been traveling (even though it should have been clear they were nowhere they should have been) always struck me as clearly less rational and more self-defeating than anything I can dream up for the victims in the other, better known, cases.

Last edited:
..In the Dyatlov Pass and Mary Celeste cases the victims were somewhere they were expected to be when whatever it was went sideways.
In the Yuba County case the 5 victims were miles away from anywhere they would have been expected to be traveling..
For the record, the Dyatlov Pass Russians were 10 miles off course too.
PS- I think I solved the Russian DP mystery a while back, it was murder plain and simple, (the clues and motive are all there) I've already mentioned it in youtube comments and keep meaning to post my findings here in FT.

For the record, the Dyatlov Pass Russians were 10 miles off course too.
PS- I think I solved the Russian DP mystery a while back, it was murder plain and simple, (the clues and motive are all there) I've already mentioned it in youtube comments and keep meaning to post my findings here in FT.

Please do.
That case (and our thread here about it) is fascinating.

The Elissa Lam case is sad and mysterious (ELEVATOR!). But the worst, ick, horror thing is a decomposing body in a source of drinking water.

The Elisa Lam case is more what I had in mind, I must admit, although not, perhaps, all that mysterious since its likely the poor girl had had a mental break of some kind. But we are never going to know exactly what happened.

The body in the reservoir is certainly unusual.

If Adam was the first bloke on the planet. How did he know what to do with Eve when she appeared ?
Was there an instruction scroll ?

And secondly, before she came along, did he practice the old five fingered widow ?

INT21

Swifty,

Jenny Randles makes no real secret about her true identity.

Just read her posts. You don't need a degree to fathom out which ones they are.

INT21

If Adam was the first bloke on the planet. How did he know what to do with Eve when she appeared ?
Was there an instruction scroll ?

And secondly, before she came along, did he practice the old five fingered widow ?

INT21

Adam and Eve were sexless Barbie and Ken dolls for God's amusement at first. Then they partook of the Tree of Knowledge, which presumably told them what went where. Which begs the question, if God was all-knowing, why put the Tree of Knowledge in easy reach in the first place? One word: entrapment.

And then to expect a woman to take any notice of the 'do not eat these forbidden fruit or really bad things will happen' notice.

God must have been having an off-day.

INT21

And then to expect a woman to take any notice of the 'do not eat these forbidden fruit or really bad things will happen' notice.

God must have been having an off-day.

INT21
He knew very well what would happen. A cruel God.

Back