• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Things Nobody Knows—And Nobody Ever Will

Swifty,

Jenny Randles makes no real secret about her true identity.

Just read her posts. You don't need a degree to fathom out which ones they are.

INT21
INT21 ..

Correct, Jenny Randles doesn't deny who she is, she simply uses a different name to post. I already fathomed who she was and we've already chatted in private message ..

I've read her posts and again, correct, I didn't need a degree.

Right, I've remembered a couple of cases that hopefully fit the bill for this excellent thread.

First one - the "Lead Masks of Vintem Hill" - here's the Wikipedia link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_Masks_Case

Secondly - and I can barely even type this as it is absolutely horrific to even think about:

As far as I understand this case is real and did happen and the authorities apparently published details of it to the public, but if you know of this case I really think you'd agree that this one will probably never be explained.

I first became aware of this a month or so ago, Mr Zebra and I were watching unexplained stuff on YouTube. This case disturbed me more than anything has ever done before.

Don't be too
Right, I've remembered a couple of cases that hopefully fit the bill for this excellent thread.

First one - the "Lead Masks of Vintem Hill" - here's the Wikipedia link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_Masks_Case

Secondly - and I can barely even type this as it is absolutely horrific to even think about:

As far as I understand this case is real and did happen and the authorities apparently published details of it to the public, but if you know of this case I really think you'd agree that this one will probably never be explained.

I first became aware of this a month or so ago, Mr Zebra and I were watching unexplained stuff on YouTube. This case disturbed me more than anything has ever done before.

Don't be too disturbed by this reservoir business. It's awful that someone died unexpectedly, but there's unlikely to be anything too awful about how. The injuries on his body are entirely consistent with scavenging by fish. A particularly good candidate is the cetopsis candiru, the area fits their distribution too. He ended up in the water and got eaten by fish post mortem.

In my Great Mysteries of the Air book (an excellent read, by the way) one chapter concerns the flight of the St Raphael attempting to be the first to fly East to West across the Atlantic, back in 1927. The plane was due to land in Ottowa but never arrived (last seen by a ship somewhere over the Atlantic).

The plane has never been found, so we don't know where they came down or why.

I have found what seems to be a good account of it here (in lieu of being able to transcribe the well-written chapter from the book):
https://theesotericcuriosa.blogspot.com/2013/10/what-goes-up-must-come-down-though-not.html

The likelihood is that they came down in the atlantic, but as my book states at the end of the chapter, they could have ended up north of Belle Isle and into the Labrador:
[...] so the icy snows of the Labrador may have frozen around their secret. It could still be that Dan Minchin and Leslie Hamilton will one day be established as the first men to fly east to west across the Atlantic, and that the fulfilment of Princess Lowenstein-Wertheim's ambition to be the first woman to make the air crossing will be posthumously but sensationally revealed.

It would be amazing if their plane was ever found and it turned out they had made it after all.

I love air mysteries. :plane:

*nods* Yup, it's brilliant.

Here's a nice YouTube video about aviation mysteries -
10 unsolved mysteries that cannot be explained (part 8)

It has the dreaded robotic voice BUT you can turn the playback speed down to 75% (controls are at the bottom of the video screen) and it's then bearable. I listen to videos like this at bedtime.

Thanks for the book recommendation by the way :)

And for the video... we will certainly watch that later (although I agree, robotic voices are so damned annoying).

I think this very scientific chart just about gets it right:

know.jpg

In my Great Mysteries of the Air book (an excellent read, by the way) one chapter concerns the flight of the St Raphael attempting to be the first to fly East to West across the Atlantic, back in 1927. The plane was due to land in Ottowa but never arrived (last seen by a ship somewhere over the Atlantic).

The plane has never been found, so we don't know where they came down or why.

I have found what seems to be a good account of it here (in lieu of being able to transcribe the well-written chapter from the book):
https://theesotericcuriosa.blogspot.com/2013/10/what-goes-up-must-come-down-though-not.html

The likelihood is that they came down in the atlantic, but as my book states at the end of the chapter, they could have ended up north of Belle Isle and into the Labrador:

It would be amazing if their plane was ever found and it turned out they had made it after all.

I love air mysteries. :plane:

That's an interesting account, Zebs. I'd never heard of this incident. It reminds me of the crash of a Sabena airliner near Gander, Newfoundland in 1946. The plane was travelling from Belgium to New York and was supposed to touch down in Gander to refuel, as did most transatlantic flights at that time, but it never arrived. A number of people were killed in that crash and their bodies were buried in a cemetery near Gander. Thankfully, there were some survivors. There was nothing particularly Fortean about the incident but the wreckage of the airliner remains in the spot where it crashed.

Regarding the St Raphael, I have to be a pedantic pain-in-the-arse and point out that the ill-fated plane's destination is spelled Ottawa. I'm pedantic about this because I live there. :wink2:

That's an interesting account, Zebs. I'd never heard of this incident. It reminds me of the crash of a Sabena airliner near Gander, Newfoundland in 1946. The plane was travelling from Belgium to New York and was supposed to touch down in Gander to refuel, as did most transatlantic flights at that time, but it never arrived. A number of people were killed in that crash and their bodies were buried in a cemetery near Gander. Thankfully, there were some survivors. There was nothing particularly Fortean about the incident but the wreckage of the airliner remains in the spot where it crashed.

Regarding the St Raphael, I have to be a pedantic pain-in-the-arse and point out that the ill-fated plane's destination is spelled Ottawa. I'm pedantic about this because I live there. :wink2:

I'd never heard of that Sabena airliner crash either, so thanks for that. And oops - sorry about the spelling! I pride myself on being good at spelling too; sometimes let down by my fingers.

And I didn't know you lived there! :D

Sounds very similar to Nungesser and his flight in the 'Ouseau Blanc' :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'Oiseau_Blanc

INT21 ..

Correct, Jenny Randles doesn't deny who she is, she simply uses a different name to post. I already fathomed who she was and we've already chatted in private message ..

I've read her posts and again, correct, I didn't need a degree.

Ahh, so that's who Benny Jandals is!

(extra points to those who knows what a jandal is).

I cheated and googled "jandals"—they look like the offspring of Birkenstocks and harachis.

But apropos of the intent of the thread... I really, really want to know who D.B. Cooper was, how he did it and what happened to him & the dosh. I never will and it will be a minor brain itch for all of my days!

Tamam Shud/The Somerton Man is one that always sticks with me. I love telling people about it because it seems so far fetched and made up but of course isn't.

Elisa Lam - scary because we can see her last moments play out in a kind of chilling voyeuristic way.
Mary Celeste - a classic which caught my imagination as a child. One of the reasons I am a Fortean I suppose.
Dyatlov - I know it wasn't a yeti but I so wish it was.

Other than that, flights that completely disappear are always interesting to me especially if there is radio contact before reporting strange visual phenomena.

The disappearance of Genette Tate was one of the first things I remember reading about in newspapers - I would have been about 7. I know they're pretty convinced that that Bell chap took her, but he's not saying anything. It must have been quite an opportune moment to take her - such a short time between her final sighting and the discovery of her bike...

Tamam Shud/The Somerton Man is one that always sticks with me. I love telling people about it because it seems so far fetched and made up but of course isn't.

This is a great one isn't it? If you listen to podcasts, there's a wonderful one presented by 'Casefile True Crime' called 'The Somerton Man' which has the best in-depth, well rounded summation of the case that I've come across. It's a must if your fascination with this case continues.

The disappearance of Genette Tate was one of the first things I remember reading about in newspapers - I would have been about 7. I know they're pretty convinced that that Bell chap took her, but he's not saying anything. It must have been quite an opportune moment to take her - such a short time between her final sighting and the discovery of her bike...

And me too, it haunts me a little even now. Small point of order: it's Robert Black is suspected of her murder, he died in 2016. As time went on some very unsavory issues regarding Genette's family were (possibly) unearthed and this led to the flurry of misintentioned occurrences in the local area and over the border a few years ago https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/disturbing-letters-make-shock-claims-268532

From the world of entertainment; What did Les Dawson see in the dressing room of the Sunderland Empire that spooked him so much?

What is the secret code to Diana Dors' missing millions?

I'd never heard of that Sabena airliner crash either, so thanks for that. And oops - sorry about the spelling! I pride myself on being good at spelling too; sometimes let down by my fingers.

And I didn't know you lived there! :D

I've only just spotted your post, Zebs, so my apologies for this tardy reply. I must have scrolled through the thread too quickly the other day and missed it. No worries about the spelling!

I jokingly refer to this city as Bytown-on-the-Rideau in a nod to its colonial past. Its official name reflects its indigenous roots.

I've only just spotted your post, Zebs, so my apologies for this tardy reply. I must have scrolled through the thread too quickly the other day and missed it. No worries about the spelling!

I jokingly refer to this city as Bytown-on-the-Rideau in a nod to its colonial past. Its official name reflects its indigenous roots.

No worries my fellow virtually-striped personage... and I like the alternative city name :)

And me too, it haunts me a little even now. Small point of order: it's Robert Black is suspected of her murder, he died in 2016. As time went on some very unsavory issues regarding Genette's family were (possibly) unearthed and this led to the flurry of misintentioned occurrences in the local area and over the border a few years ago https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/disturbing-letters-make-shock-claims-268532

I wasn't familiar with the Genette Tate case so I've just done some reading online. Good description of the story here for anyone else who's unfamiliar with it: http://genettetate.devonlive.com/

Seems astonishing that she could disappear just 5 or 10 minutes in front of her two friends, but I suppose these things can happen that quickly? Shame that the crime scene was also inadvertently tampered with; whether that would have held any clues/fingerprints will never be known now.

Back