• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strangeness In Vehicles: Things Experienced While Driving (IHTM)

Several years ago, I was a passenger in a car, driving along a dual carriageway. I glanced out of the window and saw a man looking as though he 'd just stepped out of the middle ages , walking along the grass verge , at the side of the road . His clothing looked authentic. He was wearing britches , to the knee, a white shirt of the type they wore in those days , a leather jerkin/waistcoat type of thing and he had bare feet.

I don't really think he was a ghost or someone who had slipped into our reality from a past time , because he looked too clean . His shirt was very white and I would think that a genuine person of the peasant class from those times , would be filthy.

He had probably been taking part in a play , somewhere nearby , or was perhaps some local eccentric , but there;s a tiny part of me that wonders if this was a paranormal sighting of some sort , because who walks alongside a dual carriageway in bare feet? Very odd indeed

On my cycle into work, I use a cut-through that brings me out just next to a junction in a residential area. There is a bench next to the wall on my right as I exit this cut-through and for some reason, I frequently think that somebody is sitting on that bench, but when I turn my head to check the road, there is no-one there. My peripheral vision does love to play tricks on me!

Many years ago I was part of a small group of men who did building contract work in London. We’d travel down from Yorkshire in a van on the Monday morning and return home on Friday evening. The Monday morning drive down was often tortuous as,frankly, none of us wanted to leave our young families behind but, work was work. The journey home on the Friday was the complete opposite though as we were all looking forward to getting back. During one journey home we all had (there was about 6 of us in the van) a strange experience. We were on the M1 motorway around Northamptonshire and laughing and joking with the radio playing loudly.We were all in a very good mood when quite suddenly we all fell silent. Speaking personally I suddenly felt a huge emotional feeling of extreme sadness and distress overcome me, like nothing I’d felt before or since. It was so intense that I felt that I could almost physically ‘touch’ this emotion. It was as though a black veil had come down across me. It’s very difficult for me to describe the intensity of it. After 10 or 20 seconds this feeling completely disappeared much to my relief. It was at this point I realised that everyone was silent and seemingly in their own thoughts which was really unusual for this group. A moment later the lad who was sat beside me turned and said “Did you just feel that too?”. We all then shared similar experiences of that few seconds where each of us seemingly had feelings of what can only be described as utter sadness, torment and desperation. It was truly awful and extremely odd. It was during this conversation that the lad driving noticed that the radio had turned itself off during those moments and had to be physically switched back on again!

The experience completely baffled us all and every time we drove past that same spot we always mentioned it but didn’t experience it ever again.

Did you ever check if anything tragic had happened on the part of the motorway? Of course, if this was linked to a past event, it may have happened long before the motorway was built.

I once had a strange experience in a shop in Lockerbie. It’s now a Home Bargains (or it was last time I was there), but at the time - mid 90s - I think it was Kwik Save. I was idly browsing the magazines area, killing a bit of time before my bus was due, when I suddenly felt very uneasy and depressed - I got the sensation that something tragic had happened there in the past.

Because this was Lockerbie, everyone I’ve mentioned it to immediately thinks of the tragic air crash, but I really don’t think that had anything to do with it. I felt as if this tragedy, or whatever it was, happened much longer ago. I lived nearby at the time and visited Lockerbie regularly but only ever experienced this once. It’s really hard to explain how I was feeling, but I must have looked like I was in some sort of daze or like I was “miles away” because a staff member approached me and asked if I was OK. I got out of the shop as quick as I could, and the feeling passed as I was leaving.

I’m aware of a battle between Border Reiver families a few miles away but nothing specifically linked to that part of town.

Many years ago I was part of a small group of men who did building contract work in London. We’d travel down from Yorkshire in a van on the Monday morning and return home on Friday evening. The Monday morning drive down was often tortuous as,frankly, none of us wanted to leave our young families behind but, work was work. The journey home on the Friday was the complete opposite though as we were all looking forward to getting back. During one journey home we all had (there was about 6 of us in the van) a strange experience. We were on the M1 motorway around Northamptonshire and laughing and joking with the radio playing loudly.We were all in a very good mood when quite suddenly we all fell silent. Speaking personally I suddenly felt a huge emotional feeling of extreme sadness and distress overcome me, like nothing I’d felt before or since. It was so intense that I felt that I could almost physically ‘touch’ this emotion. It was as though a black veil had come down across me. It’s very difficult for me to describe the intensity of it. After 10 or 20 seconds this feeling completely disappeared much to my relief. It was at this point I realised that everyone was silent and seemingly in their own thoughts which was really unusual for this group. A moment later the lad who was sat beside me turned and said “Did you just feel that too?”. We all then shared similar experiences of that few seconds where each of us seemingly had feelings of what can only be described as utter sadness, torment and desperation. It was truly awful and extremely odd. It was during this conversation that the lad driving noticed that the radio had turned itself off during those moments and had to be physically switched back on again!

The experience completely baffled us all and every time we drove past that same spot we always mentioned it but didn’t experience it ever again.
Thanks for posting, really intriguing.

A quick Google search reveals that sadly there have been numerous fatalities in Northampton area of the M1 over the years.

However, were you anywhere near here?

https://www.northampton.gov.uk/info...s/1952/site-of-the-battle-of-northampton-1460

Last edited:
Back