Things That Are NOT UFOs

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
Reaction score
Finally made it outside on time (and had a clear night) to see a Starlink train (forecast from https://james.darpinian.com/satellites/?special=starlink )

And bloody hell, there were a lot of them. Dozens of Starlinks in their merry little chain going roughly west to east, other sats going north, some south. Reminded me of that deleted scene from Star Wars when Luke is watching the Tantive IV/Star Destroyer battle from the ground.

Didn't see much in the way of the Lyrid meteor shower though (they peak Tuesday), maybe brief flashes in the corner of the eye.

Eponastill

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Finally made it outside on time (and had a clear night) to see a Starlink train (forecast from https://james.darpinian.com/satellites/?special=starlink )
That sounds fascinating, I will give it a go tonight.

In other 'things that are not ufos' news, I was watching some terrible 'paranormal video' type programme on youtube and people in Mexico keep seeing so-called 'Ebani', like worms undulating in the sky. Are they a lifeform? From Outer Space?
No they're not, they're actually strings of balloons. Because putting up big arches of balloons is popular in Mexico.
Ebanis una gran mentira. Oh well. They look pretty weird though.

dannycheveaux1

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score

And bloody hell, there were a lot of them. Dozens of Starlinks in their merry little chain going roughly west to east, other sats going north, some south. Reminded me of that deleted scene from Star Wars when Luke is watching the Tantive IV/Star Destroyer battle from the ground.

Didn't see much in the way of the Lyrid meteor shower though (they peak Tuesday), maybe brief flashes in the corner of the eye.
WOW - that's a great resource Tribble - thanks!

Eponastill

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Hmm well I saw about three, maybe one a minute - so I guess that wasn't exactly the starlink. And then my neck started really hurting and I got cold. What a wimp. I was rather hoping to see more than one at once. But maybe to try another night. (It did occur to me that maybe I was out there at the wrong hour - GMT vs BST and all that?). Saw a few of the Lyrid meteors too!

Last edited:

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm well I saw about three, maybe one a minute - so I guess that was the starlink. And then my neck started really hurting and I got cold. What a wimp. I was rather hoping to see more than one at once. But maybe to try another night. (It did occur to me that maybe I was out there at the wrong hour - GMT vs BST and all that?). Saw a few of the Lyrid meteors too!
About half an hour ago was correct. Very poor show here, too much light pollution I guess.

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
Reaction score
Well, saw something... that might or might not have been the newly-launched rocket. Not very clear, nothing dramatic, just a dot about the brightness of a regular sat. Bit too northerly here.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I was in the garden yesterday late afternoon and I saw what I assumed was a balloon (one of them helium filled ones) floating overhead, way up high. It appeared to be black and circular, but TBH reaching the limits of what I could make out with the naked eye.
I then realised it was travelling at right angles to the prevailing wind at ground level, and also the direction of travel of the cloud cover.
I mean I guess there could have been a layer of air/wind travelling that way.
But I watched it for a minute or so, not deviating from it's path at all, until it became too far off for me to keep it in sight.