• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Things That Are NOT UFOs

Recycled1 said:
Dorset accent, of course! :)
No-one in Dorset would say "Watcher, cock."

That's Lunnon, that is.

Now here's a puzzle: I took this pic today to record the old railway bridge in the foreground (iron railings on the right):

SmallDSCN0549.jpg

But what's that in the sky behind? Crop from the original full-size pic:

HayleWTF.jpg

Next time I'm in Hayle (maybe Thursday) I'll check to see if there's anything permanently there, like a wotsit on a pole.

Meantime, any suggestions?

Man flying with a jet pack?

After posting that image, I thought maybe I'd cropped an edited version rather than the full size original, so I went back to check. However I'd made no mistake there, but it gave me the chance to try more extreme tweaking of the buttons, and I came up with this version:

HayleWTF2.jpg

But I'm still none the wiser!

ZARDOZ?

(It looks a bit like a flying head anyway)

There's a smaller object underneath it, so it could be a bird taking a poop in mid-flight.

I had quite a day for oddities. Earlier I snapped this old mine chimney:

NOTaUFO1.jpg

But is that a freak cloud above the chimney, or something else....?

But in this case, I think I can explain it, because this is another of my 'taken from a bus' pics. Looking at the wider picture, you can see reflections in the bus windows:

NOTaUFO2.jpg

- I think the 'thing' above the chimney is a reflection of a hand-hold on the back of a seat!

Could it be a hot-air balloon?
They do make them in some very odd shapes!

darth.jpg

trevp66 said:
Could it be a hot-air balloon?
They do make them in some very odd shapes!
From what I know of the subject, it wasn't ideal flying conditions for HABs. It was around midday, fairly windy, and with passing showers.

And (as they say) "I didn't see anything when I took the picture!" (If I had, I'd have zoomed in for a closer shot.)

Edit: When I first saw the thing on the computer, I thought it might have been a plastic bag getting blown about in the wind...

Isn't it just the hook hanging from the blue and red crane you can see in the top left of the photo?

gncxx said:
Isn't it just the hook hanging from the blue and red crane you can see in the top left of the photo?

Bingo!

A quick search of local crane hire companies shows us 'Macsalvors' near Hayle.
Here is a picture of one of their cranes (sorry its a bit big, if someone wants to resize it for me)
And as you said, bingo, check out the hook thing

5990464537_42d9e7383a_z.jpg

gncxx said:
Yes, you win the bag of virtual jelly babies!

And the vertical lines below which puzzled me are in fact two chain strops with hooks hanging from it! But you have to admit it looks nothing like a hook (in fact it is a (pulley) Block) - here's a detail from another of today's pics:

Hayle_crane.jpg

And all becomes clear!

But a good exercise in why most UFO/ghost pics are crap!

Gotta be some sort of record there.
UFO photographed, picture posted, comments made, reasonable explanation discovered, all in the space of a few hours!

trevp66 said:
Gotta be some sort of record there.
UFO photographed, picture posted, comments made, reasonable explanation discovered, all in the space of a few hours!
Just as well I posted in this thread then! ;)

Clearly this is the 'go to' place for answers to all your 'not a UFO?' queries.

Two flew over my house this afternoon. I managed to get a closer shot of one:

UFO_1.jpg

UFO_2.jpg

Timble2 said:
Two flew over my house this afternoon. I managed to get a closer shot of one:

? Flying Star Fish?!

Or the last pic looks liks a flying squirrel? What do you think they were? Plastic bags?

I though they were plastic bags when I went for the camera, but no.

They look like star-shaped party balloons, but black or dark blue. Perhaps they escaped from a Goth birthday party...

And the lollipop goes to eburacum. They were silvery not black, but it wasn't that apparent with the light behind them.

Back