• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Things That Are NOT UFOs

I don't think I really want to be invaded by any type of alien who can't work out how NOT to make their craft sound like a hoover. I want silent alien rulers, thank you, not a bunch that behave like something out of 'Nightmare Neighbours'.

13995CB8-0DD5-4C99-BB16-E7E4A9C894B8.jpeg

I was sitting in the living room watching telly a short while ago when I saw a silvery flash in the sky and there was a metallic doughnut-shaped object moving through the sky.
For one brief moment, I thought it was the real thing but it's only a balloon or maybe that's what the aliens want us to think...
P1010408.jpg

P1010413.jpg

I was sitting in the living room watching telly a short while ago when I saw a silvery flash in the sky and there was a metallic doughnut-shaped object moving through the sky.
For one brief moment, I thought it was the real thing but it's only a balloon or maybe that's what the aliens want us to think...
There's a line / string / whatever with a light-colored object on its end hanging down from the object(s) in the second photo.

View attachment 40952

View attachment 40953
30-foil-mylar-balloon-silver-number-9-nine-5.gif

I hate mylar balloons. You see so many of them end up as litter.

I was sitting outside having my coffee about a year ago and saw a twinkling object moving high overhead towards the sea. Fortunately I had a long lens on my camera in case any interesting birds flew over and I was able to take some pictures of it. It was a heart-shaped balloon. I wondered whether it was high enough to reach France.

Attachments

• balloon.jpg
    balloon.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 9
Hey, this is progress - the cop's mind didn't immediately go to "UFO".
Actually, I think the idea of alien spacecraft for even the UAPs in the news these days is losing its luster. It seems that more people are willing to accept that they are secret craft by the military or foreign intelligence. Maybe because a lot of people have had unnerving experiences seeing drones, which feel invasive and creepy.

Of course, much of the time when someone thinks they've seen a drone, they are really seeing Jupiter, or a distant aircraft, etcetera. If someone sees a phenomenon in the sky that might conceivably be a drone, they immediately go into paranoid mode and think they are being spied upon, or worse. This causes a feedback system in their eye-brain system that makes them think that the phenomenon is closer than it really is, and behaving like a drone rather than a planet or an airliner.

I call this psychological feedback system 'embiggening', and it used to make observers think they were seeing aliens - now it is spy drones. At least with spy drones they are right some of the time.

Isn't it a bit obvious though - a noisy flying object - a stationary silent object that remains where you first saw it for a considerable length of time...and a large glowing silent object that changes course dramatically and then covers the distance, horizon to horizon, in two seconds?

Out of curiosity, how common are drones in the sky where you are...?

Reactions: Sid
Isn't it a bit obvious though - a noisy flying object - a stationary silent object that remains where you first saw it for a considerable length of time...and a large glowing silent object that changes course dramatically and then covers the distance, horizon to horizon, in two seconds?

I live in suburbia and the house down the block has one. It sounds like a swarm of bees. When I was staying at a house at a West Virginia golf resort, I spotted a drone come up out of the trees while I was relaxing in the hottub at night. Almost everyone has seen them around here at least once. Very common.

I think that most people can objectively tell a drone from a stationary planet. But, some obviously cannot.

It sounds like a swarm of bees. ...
I think that most people can objectively tell a drone from a stationary planet. But, some obviously cannot.
Speaking of the drones' buzzing sound ... I wonder how often someone hears the buzzing from somewhere above, looks up, scans the sky, and mistakenly locks in on a non-drone object (e.g., a celestial object like Jupiter) as the source of the noise. :thought:

That is the whole point- this police officer was convinced the craft was following her down the M8. Every time she looked up there it was, a bright light in the sky, maintaining a constant distance from her vehicle, and matching her speed. A classic 'police chase UFO' situation, except it seems that she probably thought the 'drone' was chasing her.

Sightings from moving vehicles (aircraft, cars, even trains and buses) are always suspect, because you have to compensate for the speed and direction of the vehicle you are in, and perform complex mental geometry to find the true location and speed of the observed phenomena. Not to mention the fact that (if you are the driver of the vehicle) your main focus of attention is, or should be, elsewhere.

Over and over again, pilots and police officers (and sometimes individuals who occupy both roles) fail to identify mundane objects or phenomena in the sky, and think that they are seeing 'sophisticated spy drones' or 'smuggler aircraft' or alien spaceships; in many cases they completely fail to determine the speed, size and distance of the phenomenon, and perceive it as performing impossible manoeuvres. This may be because they are trained to be on the constant look-out for unknown craft behaving in suspicious ways; a drone chasing you down the M8 would certainly seem suspicious.

Last edited:

A nice credibly factual piece of comment - if you don't mind my saying so!

For our US friends - here in the UK 'drones' are not so common as there is a licensing situation (which is quite complicated - see link below) which prevents private use of anything larger than a small bird, and even then you have to use them only within specific distances for safety purposes.
I expect that there are still some people that ignore the rules/regs and fly them wherever they like with gay abandon though.

link to UK CAA site on drone use

My pal has a drone, but he only tends to fly it in country situations well away from houses and other structures. I doubt most people would even notice it unless they were quite nearby.

...and a large glowing silent object that changes course dramatically and then covers the distance, horizon to horizon, in two seconds?
I didn't reply to this part of your post. Obviously a large glowing object crossing the sky in a few seconds could not be Jupiter, but if I saw such a phenomenon, I would think 'meteor', not 'drone' or 'alien'.

Note as well that any phenomenon crossing the sky in two seconds would not allow any kind of detailed observation- you would literally be unable to focus on it with any accuracy. A fast-moving object of this kind in the night sky could even be a bat or a night-flying bird.

Last edited:
Meteorites or bolides will typically traverse the whole of their visible path through the sky in under a second.
Watching the night sky for appearances by the Perseids, you'll miss them if you're not looking directly at them, and they are often only visible for a fraction of a second.

I didn't reply to this part of your post. Obviously a large glowing object crossing the sky in a few seconds could not be Jupiter, but if I saw such a phenomenon, I would think 'meteor', not 'drone' or 'alien'.

Note as well that any phenomenon crossing the sky in two seconds would not allow any kind of detailed observation- you would literally be unable to focus on it with any accuracy. A fast-moving object of this kind in the night sky could even be a bat or a night-flying bird.
Heh, I remember one case where it turned out to be a..... moth. Yeah, it was fast moving from the PoV of the observer, but the observer failed to correctly ascertain distance. It was only when people freeze framed the video frame by frame that they figured out what it was.

Speaking of the drones' buzzing sound ... I wonder how often someone hears the buzzing from somewhere above, looks up, scans the sky, and mistakenly locks in on a non-drone object (e.g., a celestial object like Jupiter) as the source of the noise. :thought:
Good point E.G. - in Australia, we call that a Daddy look.

I have watched unidentifiable objects over the last 60 odd years, and I agree that seeing a shooting star is most probably that. Space debris within an atmosphere. It's usually identifiable by it's trail, or tail of fire, and it's comparable speed to much anything else.

I have seen a chevron formation of three lights traverse the night, with an individual light halting, and staying in that position, while the others travelled on for another arc of the night sky with the second one following the actions of the first one. The remaining one stopped at an equal distance from the other two - then retraced the path it took, picking up those that had stopped and remained stationary.

Don't ask me what that was.

I've also seen birds fly of a night and I would be able to distinguish the difference, I reckon...So it boils down to personal perception?

Was watching something a few days back re UFO's and am at least 90% sure 3 of them were Vulcan bombers.
Now this, I might know something about!

The following was the result of investigations into a sighting which the witness had reported to myself.

(Start)
Triangular 'UFO' Sighting Solved - The 'Silent Vulcan'.

In July, 1997, I published an intriguing 'UFO' account which I was researching:

"The following story is absolutely true and describes my only "close encounter".

As a Chartered Accountant, I often have to oversee audit assignments with a strict timetable. This leads to the need to work long hours. In March 1978, I was working on such an assignment in my home county of Lincolnshire, UK. One Thursday night, I finished work at about 10.30pm and drove a colleague home to the village of Alford. In general, the coastal areas of Lincolnshire are very flat. However, Alford lies on the edge of gently rolling countryside - the Lincolnshire Wolds.

My route home took me up a hill on the A1104 towards Ulceby Cross. Part way up the hill, at around 11:00 p.m., I was dazzled by what I took to be the undipped headlights of an oncoming car. I flashed my own headlights and slowed. To my astonishment, the oncoming lights slowly "took off" from the road and gracefully flew to my right. Excitedly, I stopped my car, wound down the driver's side window and peered out. The sight that greeted me will stay in my memory forever. I saw that the lights were coming from a massive, beautiful aircraft which had now turned, was flying at a height of about 50 feet and was now heading towards the coast directly over my car!

The craft was shaped like a delta, very similar to the Vulcan bombers based in Lincolnshire at the time. However, it was about four times the size of a Vulcan, flew extremely slowly and was absolutely silent! All leading edges of the delta were beautifully rounded - there were no sharp protuberances such as a tailplane. The underside of the craft was coloured sky blue. It just glided over me and headed towards the coast - no noise, no smoke, no vibrations, no smell - just an aircraft of sheer gargantuan beauty.

It was very real; from the A16 I was able to watch this craft making its slow, majestic way south towards Boston until I lost sight of it just past Spilsby. I'd love to know what it was. It seemed too real to be extraterrestrial. However, its immense size, its low speed and above all, the sheer silence made it unlike any aircraft known to me"!

Paul H Hanmer FCA

Although the most likely identification was a Vulcan bomber - its profile matched and they were stationed nearby - as anyone who knows these aircraft can testify, the last thing they could be described as is silent!

That possibility seemingly ruled out, the answer would doubtless have forever remained a mystery if it hadn't been for a UFORL subscriber's experienced knowledge of military aviation and a chance meeting he had with a Squadron Leader (Rtd.) who flew Vulcans for most of his RAF career.

I was duly informed:

"A favourite trick of the Vulcan pilots was to reduce power and use its massive wing area to glide for some miles before applying power again, to conserve fuel. It was not officially sanctioned and was never put on record as the public might have kicked up a fuss (would you want a several tons of bomber gliding over your town!!)".

So, incredibly, the 'Silent Vulcan' does exist!

Although Paul believed its size was much larger, that's understandable under the circumstances outlined and another corroborative factor is that Vulcans did employ a grey/light-blue camouflage which was sometimes, although not always, 'plain' underneath.

vulcan_opener_resize_17.jpg

Once again, what appeared to be a 'UFO' case which defied explanation is found to have a probable, typically mundane solution and the witness was mistaken about some observational aspect, this time the object's size being perceived as four times larger than it was.
(End)

Paul was perfectly satisfied his spectacular UFO sighting and mystery had been resolved. :)

VX770 in the pic was one of the first Vulcans it tragically broke up during a
low run at Farnborough It has the org straight wing leading edge, the early
ones were intended for high level attack's and were painted anti flash white
later after Garry Powers was shot down in a U2 the nuclear response went
low level and the Vulcans were painted in camouflage.
Later a small number of Vulcans 9 I think were converted to the B2 MRR role
and one maybe more were camouflaged on top but a solid light colour maybe
light blue underneath, the one at Carlie airport is a MRR.

Last edited:
Back