• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Things That Are NOT UFOs

I see this thread (and UFOs for the Gullible) as a training ground for those just getting interested in UFOlogy. By presenting examples of common misperceptions of ordinary things (especially as captured on photographs) we can steer newbies away from the Fluffy woo woo end of the spectrum, and encourage a more critical approach.

Here's a pic I took last night, just because it was an interesting image:

UFO_NOT.jpg

Now only the fluffiest of woo woos would think this was anything to do with UFOs, but it does illustrate one of the all too common errors that people have made (there are many examples on this MB) - mistaking reflections in a window for something outside the window.

Here, the rain makes it obvious there is a window there, but the 'reflection misperception' is easily made when you don't realise the picture was taken through a window, and in the past I too have gone "Wow!" at such images. Well, we all have to learn!

rynner2 said:
I see this thread (and UFOs for the Gullible) as a training ground for those just getting interested in UFOlogy. By presenting examples of common misperceptions of ordinary things (especially as captured on photographs) we can steer newbies away from the Fluffy woo woo end of the spectrum, and encourage a more critical approach....

Exactly why I started the thread in the first place. It's all too easy for commonplace, mundane items to be misidentified.

The 'reflection in the window' photo seems to crop up periodically through the annals of UFO history, and some of those pics can be quite convincing.
(Clearly, though, the fleet of Zargon Destroyers in your pic have managed to camouflage themselves by posing as innocent dining-room ceiling lights.)

Took this yesterday - could these bright lights in the daytime sky be UFOs..?

Porthleven.jpg

Nope, this is another 'reflection in a window' job, taken from the top deck of a bus in Porthleven. Most of the scene is backlit, which means that something, probably on the other side of the bus, is brightly lit by the sun, and highlights are glinting off the inside of the window through which I was shooting.

(I've cropped the 'ufos' out of my 'keeper' version of this pic! 8) )

I took a pic of rainbow yesterday, and when I got it up on the computer I saw these three strange hovering objects...

...you don't believe me,do you? ;)

Rainbow.jpg

Now for something slightly different: this afternoon I took some more photos of the Falmouth Beach Hotel, recently destroyed by fire. Here's one:

FBH.jpg

The only interest there seems to be how well the lift shafts survived (only one is seen in this photo).
Until you look closer - what's that on the far left?

Monster.jpg

A stranger might think that it's just a rocky island in the bay - but there ain't no such island!! :shock:

It's a UFO (Unidentified Floating Object)! Have I snapped Morgawr, the Falmouth Bay sea monster?

It doesn't look like any normal vessel, unless it's some kind of submersible. And (needless to say) I didn't notice it at the time, because I was concentrating on the ruined building...

But I did take one other picture of the bay which, with hindsight, might be related.

Victoria.jpg

This is the SD Victoria, which is a UK registered Support Vessel built in 2010. (These Auxilliary vessels provide back-up for RN warships.) Those two heavy duty cranes aft could probably handle quite a large submersible, so maybe Victoria is the mother-ship for some new device for surveying, etc...

None of my local news sites seem to have any info on this at present - I'll report back if I learn more!

trevp66 said:
Possibly/Probably some floating debris from an incident in the area.
I'm not saying it's a definite, but this could be a contender;

http://www.falmouthlifeboat.co.uk/shouts/fishing-vessel-heather-anne-sinking
Unlikely, I'd say. Sunken vessels don't normally resurface by themselves, months later! The object is quite large, maybe 70' I'd estimate, and debris that big would be a hazard to other vessels, so it would have been tracked by the CG until it could be removed or sunk.

Whatever it is, it's not there now (I've just got back from the beach), and nor is the SD Victoria. Live Ships Map tells me that's now south of the Helford River, too far off for my little camera to show any detail.

And nothing in the local paper, so for now it'll have to remain a maritime mystery!

I don't think it's actually in the water, it could be a bird caught at an odd angle.

rynner2 said:
Victoria.jpg

This is the SD Victoria, which is a UK registered Support Vessel built in 2010.

What's the ball in the bottom right of this pic?

SHAYBARSABE said:
rynner2 said:
This is the SD Victoria, which is a UK registered Support Vessel built in 2010.

What's the ball in the bottom right of this pic?
One of a line of boys marking the inner limit of the water-ski area. (Keeps them away from the swimmers off the beach.)

rynner2 said:
One of a line of boys marking the inner limit of the water-ski area. (Keeps them away from the swimmers off the beach.)
THey force children to do that?!
:shock:
Oh you mean buoys. :oops:

Monstrosa said:
rynner2 said:
Oops! I blame my cranky keyboard - it misses or inserts letters on a whim, it seems!

rynner2 said:
Monstrosa said:
rynner2 said:
Oops! I blame my cranky keyboard - it misses or inserts letters on a whim, it seems!

Ah, I thought it was a new WEP thought up by IDS.

Or did you mean "One of a line of bodys marking the inner limit of the water-ski area" ?

trevp66 said:
Or did you mean "One of a line of bodys marking the inner limit of the water-ski area" ?
Well, there might be a line of bodies if the water skiers and swimmers overlapped...

Ronson8 said:
I don't think it's actually in the water, it could be a bird caught at an odd angle.
Yes, I see what you mean, if it was that far out in the water it would have to be very big.

Another photo-anomaly from Hayle. This is a pic taken today:

DSCN1659.jpg

But in the background (apparently) is an irregular white blob:

DSCN1659B.jpg

The pic is blurry because the camera was focused on the foreground activity. But I had a couple of other pics which also included the same area, taken from almost the same position: here's one:-

DSCN1661B.jpg

And here's a better one:

DSCN1655B.jpg

This 'best pic' was actually taken first, followed by the 'anomaly pic', and then by the 'worst pic'.

Obviously the 'blob' is a transient effect. I can think of two possible explanations:

1. The chimney maybe has a stainless steel rotating cowl to suck smoke out, which happened to reflect a beam of sunlight (which was just breaking through at that time). These cowls can give very bright reflections, I've noticed. There wasn't much wind, so such a cowl may have moved only intermittently.

2. It's our old friend, an orb (or perhaps two, to explain the irregularity). The work going on would naturally create dust - or perhaps the big black cloud that annoyingly hung about for most of the time I was there was releasing some drops of moisture.
(If it's an orb, then the other pics of the background are irrelevent, since the anomaly would have been caused by something very close to the lens!)

Anyhow, it's interesting to investigate possibilities before crying out "OMG! I got a photo of a UFO!", (or ghost, or whatever)

A lot of you're pictures seem to feature plant machinery.

Have we given up on the last one with the thing in the water? I'm really baffled as to what that is.

oldrover said:
A lot of you're pictures seem to feature plant machinery.
Because so far most of my pictures this year have been taken on this particular construction site.

Have we given up on the last one with the thing in the water? I'm really baffled as to what that is.
I've not come across any further info, so for now I'm sticking with my guess that it was some sort of submersible, working with the SD Victoria.

I've done image search on teh sd victoria and I can't see it carrying a submersible in any pictures.

ChrisBoardman said:
http://g.co/maps/mr69a

Just seen it on google street view, it's close to the coast, are there any rocks?
As I said before, there are no isolated rocks in that part of Falmouth Bay, just a few outcrops attached to the coast that uncover at LW (as shown by the chart).

Can't see what that is. I don't think it's a submersible. It must be some sort of vessel but if so the bow looks a bit strange, but then so does the stern unless they've taken to making hatchback watercraft.

Back